Be the first on your block to order the BMW R 18

The concept bike had an exposed drive shaft but I'm really surprised that made it into production. Wouldn't want to get your chaps wrapped up in that U-joint.

The ergonomics are awful ... knee is bent back a lot, uncomfortable for longer rides

That's a definite departure from the norm... unless you recall the R1200C from 20 years ago.

It seems to be missing the BMW unique front end and has "normal" forks.

I'm not a big cruiser guy but I like the bike. I don't like the muffler at all and not crazy about the very thick fork architecture. But I do like the bike. I like the foot position. Very nice not to have feet angled back. I can't say anything about the bars without actually sitting on the bike but that might be something that could be fixed.

The "high" seat option is 28". :rofl1: I'd kill for a 28" factory seat height for the ST.

Those are really big jugs! I like the look but I'm too practical to even think of buying it. Unless, as fnmag says, in an RT more so than an RS.
Don't hold your breath waiting to see that motor in an RS or any other Beemer. The size is as much for looks and sound as for the overall image. The proportions are not right for a sleek sport touring/sporty bike.

I read an article about how there are new car designs that were to be marketed right now...and then the virus hit. I believe they said one design for a new car could cost a billion dollars from concept to production. Can you imagine the hit to the bottom line if you can't manufacture or sell a new product?

I wonder what kind of deal you could get on a motorcycle or car right now? The dealerships have to be hungry.

Chris

I'm not a fan of the cruisers, I like standard road bikes. I'd like to see an 2020 r80/7, with Brembo brakes and FI to satisfy C.A.R.B. Guzzi does it, so could BMW.

Coming from someone who used to own an R1200 Phoenix, that is just :censored:ugly.
:censored:Ugly mufflers, :censored:Ugly forks, :censored:Ugly cylinder heads, :censored:Ugly headlight, etc.
They probably tried to copy the Triumph Bobber, since obviously they are trying to attract the young Hipster generation.
At least my Phoenix had a beautiful gun metal grey and yellow paint job, comfortable handlebars, a much better front suspension set up, tubeless tires with nice wheels, and leather saddlebags if you wanted.
The only thing I didn't like was the mufflers set up, so it went away and was replaced with a set of Bub megaphones.
BMW would have done so much better coming out with a Slash 6 or Slash 7 Retro to complete with the Guzzi Stones.

More likely "Be the only in your town to order the BMW R 18"

It's certainly of no interest for me--I'm more near 'repulsed' than even being 'neutral' to it.

However I applaud any manufacturer for bringing new models, such as BMW who keeps trying!

Top Bottom