Helmets Best FF Helmet?

I am interested in purchasing a new full-face helmet. So, I thought I would ask the group for recommendations. Suggestions? Happy Riding!

Bike
2005 st1300
Got an idea on price point? That makes a big difference in recommendations. I bought an HJC RPHA 70 and while I didnt ride much this year, I was impressed. Comfortable, light and relatively quiet. Hope to get more time in it this year

Reactions: Djc
OP
OP
RickAK
Based on my limited research, it seems that pricing varies greatly. I more most interested is safety and comfort. While I can research safety, comfort is the unknown. I have not had a modular helmet but the concept/design is appealing. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

OP
OP
RickAK
Agreed on the "fit" requirement. Thanks much for the comparison link; LOTS of comparisons; great source!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
One thing that I have learned from experience is that different manufacturers have different shaped helmets in that some fit a rounder head better while others fit a more oval head better. An oval helmet on a round head pinches the sides of the head. A round helmet on an oval head pinches the back of the head and the forehead resulting in those painful looking crimson marks you see on peoples foreheads when they remove their helmet. Either combination can become uncomfortable after long hours of wearing them. Not being aware that there are different shaped helmets and thinking that helmet is to small, many people seem to end up with a helmet that is actually to big for their head because the correct size pinches their head and is uncomfortable. An oversize helmet does not protect the head as well as a properly sized one.

I have seen websites that review helmets which also indicate whether the helmet is more round or oval in shape. First thing that I would suggest is to figure out which shape head you have and then look for helmets that fit that criteria. Once you have narrowed down which ones you are interested in you can then check reviews for comfort ratings and try them on for yourself.

If you have looked at the SHARP helmet listings you will have learned that price is not a reliable indicator of the helmets ability to protect your head as many cheaper helmets score good safety ratings.

OP
OP
RickAK
Andrew/John - MUCH appreciate the insights and suggestions. Who ever knew, buy a helmet would become such an anthropometric exercise? I can see that much more research and investigation is needed before pulling the trigger on a purchase. Gentlemen, much appreciated!

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
If you have a long oval head Arai Signet is the only one that works. Others claim long oval shapes but Arai is the only one for that head shape. I would suggest either Arai or Shoei depending on your head shape. Spend the money for comfort and fit.

Go to a western store and get fit for a hat. They will tell you what shape your head is.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I tried on each of the Arai shapes to find my perfect fit. I have worn Arai for most of my riding time. I tried a Shoei but it was the wrong shape for my head and put serious pressure points that I could not live it. I wear my Arai now all the time without any issue.
Happy Helmet Hunting!
John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My favorite helmets for 15 years have been Shoei modulars. The shape fits me and the ventilation is very good. Top end of middle price range but a new every 5 years or so isn't hard to handle and the quality allows it to feel good every time I wear it - often for 8 to 12 hour days.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Who ever knew, buy a helmet would become such an anthropometric exercise?
I have no idea what kind of riding you do. If you ride long distance and will be wearing a helmet for many hours a day, day after day, this becomes a purchase that you want to get as right as possible. If it doesn't fit your head well it will be uncomfortable and you won't want to wear it let alone that it is not offering optimal protection if it is to big for you.

One of the first helmets that I ever bought was not a good fit for me. I listened to what the "expert" at the store said about how a helmet should fit properly and bought it. It was uncomfortable to wear and irritated me. Every purchase since I have been more demanding about how it fits and have always ended up with a good fitting and comfortable helmet that I can wear all day, day after day.

My point being that this is one of those purchases that nobody else can really tell you what will be a good fitting and comfortable helmet for you. Reviews from other people are valuable in that they can help steer you away from helmets that are poorly designed and which cause discomfort for a large percentage of people who have bought it as well as highlighting others that most users do find comfortable. At the end of the day however, in my opinion, you need to figure this out for yourself by trying on the ones that interest you. This is something that is worth spending the time that it takes you to figure it out.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The best helmet for you is the helmet that fits you best. All that said, I've worn cheaper, and I've worn expensive helmets. To me, cheaper has always felt "cheaper". Shoei fits me very well, and saved my life once, so that's my go to brand. In an RF1200 currently. Once it broke in, it's been fantastic.

RT

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Go to a good motorcycle gear store that sells pretty much brands for ALL shapes of heads and start trying them on, once on leave on for several minutes. ANY pressure point discomfort and I mean the slightest- forget that helmet and try another. Once you find a good comfortable snug full face helmet, try on more similar to that one

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'm going to go with what rwthomas said. For me the HJC CL 16 is what I've been wearing for the last 5 years. Great price, comfortable and relatively quiet. Think I paid $149.00 for it so yeah i'm a happy camper. I shop for shoes the same way so yeah my feet are happy too.:)

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Andrew Shadow and @jonjonboo are exactly right. You need to stick your head in a few different helmets. Nothing anyone tells you of the, 'brand xyz is best' is very meaningful if the hat doesn't fit. I tend to go look at the hats for features - kind of closure, style of locks (I want a modular - it is easier to talk to someone at a gas pump with the modular wide open), ventilation, weight, $$$$$$$$$$! first, then find a salesman and talk to him about what he has. Then start trying them on.

The only thing I will add, is the padding - cheek, jaw will break in, so if it feels a bit tight there, no worries. However, the fit around your forehead is due to the shape and size of the rigid foam inside the shell. That won't change. Someone here sanded the foam inside his Shoei NeoTek 2 early this year and made a good fit for his head. I'm not sure I would have the guts to do that to a 500$ hat.

Things to consider if you go modular: type of buckle/release under your chin; type of locks that hold the face part down; is there a sun blocking visor that retracts?; can you raise the front w/ the sun visor down; does sun visor go all the way up into the hat?; visibilty, i.e. size of opening you look out; ventilation* or lack thereof, noise level (this is a hard one), does it have integrated comms?

Good luck. You might check Fort9 and listen to what he has to say about helmets. If nothing else he will suggest some things to consider even if the info is obsolete.

*My Shuberth (now pushing 5 yrs old) has very very poor ventilation. A salesman at a mc rally said the new model had 40% more airflow. My response was 1.4 times zero is still zero. (Yes I had the ports unblocked).

Top Bottom