Big Bend RTC

TPadden

Tom Padden
Looking at mid to late February and early March for a Big Bend RTC or Texas RTE's on my way to California. Current long range forecasts look better for early March. I'll wait until mid February to firm up as weather forecasts are developed. Looking for at least 45 degrees for the low in Big Bend. Anyone interested??? :cool:

Tom

Last edited:

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Never been there. I’ll be looking to see if if works or me. Miss you buddy!
Keith,

You need to make a Big Bend trip! The park and river road to Presidio are not to be missed. Just watch out for the oilfield traffic around Odessa. Probably something you know about.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
You know I’m interested, my left arm is in a sling now from rotor cuff surgery. By March I could be ok to ride, we shall discuss just before ride.
Keith if you haven’t done this yet you have been missing good winter riding, do it man !

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Always interested.
You know I’m interested...
Interested
For all those interested I apologize for holding off finalizing my RTC planning dates but the last 3 Big Bend events only had 3 or 4 attendees (including me) even with locked in dates well in advance. Big Bend temperatures in winter has lows that easily swing 30 degrees in as few as 2 or 3 days.

My thought is when it's a given that attendance will be low I'd rather let weather drive my camping dates than calendar scheduling requirements. I plan on posting an RTC only a week or two in advance but welcome scheduling discussion. If there are more than 3 or 4 seriously committed attendees that require earlier locked in dates I'm certainly flexible. :)

Tom

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
The week of 3-8/14 would work best for me, that way I can see Texas Big Bend National Park and then roll on to the Salton Sea RTC :)
Wayne,

Hope it works out for you, as I posted, for me it will all depend on weather - both at Terlingua and crossing Louisiana/Texas. I'll keep your calendar in mind but will probably jump through the first open weather window in late Feb- early March. If weather sucks during that period perhaps BB following Salton Sea 3-21 will work for you?

I plan on firming my dates and posting a RTC by 20 Feb and don't plan on camping BB longer than a day or 2. If anyone else posts a Big Bend RTC before I do I'll do my best to attend whatever dates they select. Either way I should see you at the Sea. :thumb:

Tom

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
First weekend in March is looking REALLY nice so far (March 4-6) ... almost too hot. Sunny, high's approaching 90F, lows in the 50's at Presidio. I think I've done Rancho Topanga enough, will be seriously looking at Presidio Loma Paloma this time - much handier for restaurants and sundries. Camped there before: not as nice as Loma Paloma, but also not as crowded/ booked, it's desert camping. :cool:
Tent campers welcome. $10 per night. :tent3:

Tom

Last edited:

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Ahhh, Presidio!!! Do I remember that place. I lived there in 1959/60. I saw some pictures a few years ago and it has changed a lot from then. Got some stories from those days....

Remember the road that campground is on and it wasn't there then -- nothing was....

Enjoy the time there for me!

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Ahhh, Presidio!!! Do I remember that place. I lived there in 1959/60. I saw some pictures a few years ago and it has changed a lot from then. Got some stories from those days....

Remember the road that campground is on and it wasn't there then -- nothing was....

Enjoy the time there for me!
Larry,

You have the most interesting life stories; got to hear your Presidio ones (I'm sure they cross the border; maybe even dodging the law). I think I'll try to schedule a ride to Idaho this summer just to hear them. :thumb:

Tom

Reactions: VFR

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Thanks Tom, I might be able to attend this...
I like the idea of solid dates closer to the actual camping time. Weather is very unpredictable there as was Feb. 2020. Also, 2018 (I think) when you Raymond and I, hit freezing rain on our departure to Alpine.

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
That weekend would work for me. Let me know if you want to stay at Rancho Topanga or Loma Paloma
Still looking good weather wise for 5-6 March. Presidio 80F-50F, Terlingua 77F-45F, mostly sunny :cool:. Personally leaning towards Loma Paloma but don't really care location wise either way. I'll actually post RTC thread next week and will still welcome suggestions. This thread is jut a spitballing warning shot across the bow. :thumb:

Tom

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thanks Tom, I might be able to attend this...
I like the idea of solid dates closer to the actual camping time. Weather is very unpredictable there as was Feb. 2020. Also, 2018 (I think) when you Raymond and I, hit freezing rain on our departure to Alpine.
Yep, snow and icy rain one day, 80 degrees and sunshine 4 days later. :eek:

Tom

Reactions: TOS
OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Here you go; one week in Terlingua:

Snow expected Sunday, 2/14, 7:00 PM through Monday, 2/15, 15F Low.

Very warm with sun and clouds Sunday, 2/21 86F High

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Yep, crazy cold one coming for us here soon... Temps we haven't seen in decades.
We may get up to 8 in. of snow here on Sunday/Monday the high temp on Monday is 14* and low -2* that night. o_O

Top Bottom