Big Flat Father's Day Present (Tire)

SupraSabre,

Thanks for the benefit of your personal experience. I'm going to bite the bullet and pull the tire to have it patched. Will probably go back with Dyna Beads for balancing unless there have been instances of poor results with beads after patching.

Scott

Last edited:
I use beads in my CB1000c,, and they have performed well enough. But your tire plug will introduce a couple of new variables. If it were mine,, I would dismount the tire. vacuum up all the beads with a shop vac,, and a pair of the wife's stockings between the hose and crevice tip. Drop the beads into a zip lock bag,, by switching off the vacuum,,, and save them for next time. Fix the tire, with an internal mushroom plug,, and trim it all up after hardening. Remount with proper orientation,,, and then computer dynamic balance with regular weights. Go for a ride,,, and see how it feels. Believe me,,, when you ride an ST,,, a shaker of tire is really annoying. If there is still any hint of a vibe,,, then you last ditch cure is to put the beads back in via the valve stem. Be sure to let us know how it works out,,, cheers,, CAt'

Cat,

Going with an inside patch/plug, but would like to retain beads. You don't think the beads will do the job after the repair?

Thx

+1 if its a round hole a mushroom plug is fine. What type of beads do you use?

Thanks! I've decided on dismounting and using a mushroom patch/plug. I use Dyna Beads and they seem to work great. I assume other name brands would be perform the same.

Scott

You don't think the beads will do the job after the repair?
Yes,, that is my concern. So the approach that I outlined allows you to test the overall repair result conventionally, before adding the beads back. This concern goes too the way that balancing beads work,,, and there are a lot of varying opinions on that,, even between bead manufacturers. Proper tire installation and especially balancing is an art,, that often gets handed off to inexperienced personnel. I only allow one mechanic at my local dealership to mount my tires,,, and I stand over his shoulder to ensure that I get everything done the way I want. Results can vary significantly,,, cheers,, keep us posted,,, CAt'

Yes,, that is my concern. So the approach that I outlined allows you to test the overall repair result conventionally, before adding the beads back. This concern goes too the way that balancing beads work,,, and there are a lot of varying opinions on that,, even between bead manufacturers. Proper tire installation and especially balancing is an art,, that often gets handed off to inexperienced personnel. I only allow one mechanic at my local dealership to mount my tires,,, and I stand over his shoulder to ensure that I get everything done the way I want. Results can vary significantly,,, cheers,, keep us posted,,, CAt'

Thanks CAt'

Back
Top Bottom