Blue tooth earbuds for Mp3

Bike
2005 ST1300
OK, I've searched the threads and I haven't found anything that matches my questions. I'm a solo rider, I don't want to answer phone calls or talk to other riders. All I want is to listen to music thru my phone or GPS wirelessly. The units are mounted to my handlebars and I want wireless ear buds to listen with. Any suggestions from the collective? Thanks.

I'm using a Chatterbox DUO installed in my helmet to wirelessly listen to my iPhone music files which is usually in my pocket. The speakers are in the helmet and not earbuds but I'm sure a search on Google would find Bluetooth earbuds, if you tried that.

I have some Sony wired ear buds that I use with my ml3 player that are great and comfy and they stay in. It's just a pain tie up my helmet and keep the wires from getting tangled. Also I think it would be easier to mess with the music if my player was mounted on the handlebars I stead of in my jacket. There are several wireless ear buds, just hoping somebody hear had a good pairing option.

I wonder if the issue with blue tooth ear buds wouldn't be size . I assume you would have to have some sort of battery in each of the buds .

to BT the headsets of choice, you can go to amazon and find a BT Dongle for Transmitting with a female 3.5mm connector.

i have used with good, long term success:

the miccus:
http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B0038MA11U/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Jabra clipit:
http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CLIPPER...d=1375142133&sr=1-16&keywords=jabra+bluetooth

and a few other no name units.
if you can find a version that uses the same charge connector then its a bonus to be able to charge the phone as well as the other gadgets.

i have gone from typical ear phones from Blackberry, i phones and other smartphone to Etymotic's, Zagg Smartbuds, Avovio, Radian,s Phillips, JVC, to DIY custom Ear Plugs and some high end expensive custom molds.
so far they have all been relegated to a storage drawer since finding the "S-Plugs.
for Ear plugs that don't Slip when putting your helmet on provide sound attenuation:
http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

i can use these plugged into the BT Dongle to listen to any source i have on me or the bike. they have provided plenty of listening enjoyment in Large Industrial Locations and while riding down the roads in Assertive Style.

good Luck

I wonder if the issue with blue tooth ear buds wouldn't be size . I assume you would have to have some sort of battery in each of the buds .
i went on a search and destroy mission to find something that was a complete standalone setup.
to date there isn't anything that is feasible to use with a helmet in the Ear bud or IEM style.

close is some extremely high dollar versions of Medical Grade Audio Hearing Aids that happen to use a BT frequency for somethings like Phone adapters; prices were approximately 3-4000$ each!
nor were they anything to deliver High Quality Music while Riding with a helmet.

one version to consider are the Jaybuds, plantronics or the older S-10's they were sold to the Gym types or runners. they last around 3-4 hours per charge.

Yea, I never put thought to the use time per charge of the BT ear buds. That would be something to think about then because on a long trip 4 hours would not get me very far would it? Hmmm much to think about.Thanks for the info/advice.

i went on a search and destroy mission to find something that was a complete standalone setup.
to date there isn't anything that is feasible to use with a helmet in the Ear bud or IEM style.

close is some extremely high dollar versions of Medical Grade Audio Hearing Aids that happen to use a BT frequency for somethings like Phone adapters; prices were approximately 3-4000$ each!
nor were they anything to deliver High Quality Music while Riding with a helmet.

one version to consider are the Jaybuds, plantronics or the older S-10's they were sold to the Gym types or runners. they last around 3-4 hours per charge.
Now you're getting into what hearing aids cost. Mine were over $4k for the pair. WAAAAy over priced!

Yea, I never put thought to the use time per charge of the BT ear buds. That would be something to think about then because on a long trip 4 hours would not get me very far would it? Hmmm much to think about.Thanks for the info/advice.

then you should also consider the SENA BT headsets that have the Earphone mount.
i understand they have a good 8-12 hour playback time frame. they also allow one to use while charging. i personally haven't gone that route due to some limitations of my wired system allows me.

I was in a similar situation, I do most of my riding solo and use only powered earplugs and thought bluetooth was the answer. I purchased the Sena SMH10 system with the earplug option. It works OK for rider to rider, GPS and phone, but has issues for everything I thought I wanted in a system with no hassles. For my 2 week trip to Utah last May, I ended up with an audio plug extension off of the GPS and a 1/8th inch plug at the base of my seat at the fuel tank. I went the entire trip on the direct earphone plug, and it worked better than I expected without a problem and no inconvenience at all. I saved the Sena system for when my wife rides pillion, but use the direct plug for all my solo riding. I found out that all I really need is XM radio, music and GPS directions. The system is simple, I never need to be concerned about batteries and the sound quality is the best.

The Sena units have speakers in the helmet....not ear buds. You can just disable the other features (phone, intercom,etc). Easy on/off and convenient. Battery life is great.

Ok. I wanted the same thing, Bluetooth music. I ended up with an Interphone F5. I can bluetooth music from Pandora on my phone, and phone calls (if necessary). It has a short-range FM radio and will hook up to my Garmin. My iPod went bad, so I got a new updated one, and guess what - It has bluetooth, too. It also hooks up to the Interphone.
Interphone is made by the same company that makes Blue Ant for cars. It was real good in my pick-up - when I had to work,,,,in the old days.
It is rechargable from a USB charger, and lasts for as long as a week.

I read the reviews on http://www.webbikeworld.com

Last edited:
I understand the wants for earbuds but I use my sena blue tooth for listening to my music on my phone or I can plug in via ear phone jack or listen to my 4 dash mounted speakers with full stereo control using my jenson marine stereo wired remote.

yeah, the Sena earbud clamp kits are really nice for the extra $39. They also allow a direct connection Option into the system through an auxiliary input. The audio quality for direct connect from my Garmin is better quality than the Bluetooth, better signal to noise ratio, IMHO.

UPDATE: Here is what I got. I bought a used NUVI 760 with an Aqua box from RAM. After listening to you guys it seem like hardwired sound is better than bluetooth, also the short range of life for the bluetooth headsets. So now I will listen to MP3's thru the GPS and will actually be able to hear the stupid boxes driving directions! Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom