Bluetooth & wifi, video camera, GPS: All in one headset!

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Looks like they took the idea of the Sena 10C Pro and Sena 10C EVO and made a knock off of them.

Chris
No Doubt about that...
The Sena 10C Pro / EVO would eventually give better video performance and are undoubtedly well made.
This said, PRO and EVO are still using Bluetooth 4.1 (battery life, dual connection, music quality) and have other minus compared to the Maxto and Freedconn.
The biggest limitation for me is that they cost more than twice the price of the knock off.
Just waiting to get my Freedconn R1 plus from Amazon and I will post a feedback soon.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Wait, isn't R1 is a Yamaha?
I see that you are located in NJ...
Message me If one day you have the opportunity to get to upstate NY (Rhinebeck, Hudson...).
Would be happy to go with you for some nice ride in the area!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Perhaps you forgot to apply the principle of charity?
You call that charity? :SHM:

ad.hom said:
That's simply "why do you want one" but phrased as a statement, isn't it?
No not at all. The OP already knows why he wants one and wrote as much in his posts. I chose not to question his use further.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My experience has been that universal pairing connects very easily. When using the universal pairing mode, the range is reduced compared to two units of the same brand.
I find that even with same brand pairing, the pairing only really works in "line of sight". So yes, the manufacturer claims of 1000 meters is true...but only during optimum conditions. At that point, it gets to be about the same as the universal pairing.

The issue I've found is that most other riders don't know how to pair their headsets. Or if they do, they won't know how to make the universal pairing work. You have to know how to make their headset work with yours. Otherwise, they give up and say it can't be done.

I believe the universal pairing is using the BT channels that are normally used by the phone and GPS. To use one of those universal pairing channels to connect with your headset means they have to disconnect from one of the other pairings they normally use. That's a bother for them and often an irritant.

That aside, why on earth would you need the device to do both bluetooth and wifi? It will always be quicker to remove the card to do data transfer...

Why do you want a camera? What purpose will it serve? Are these cameras good enough quality to be used for that purpose? They support image stabilisation, but is it lossy?

I looked at Sena vs Cardo. I finally decided based on which company openly advertises their waterproof rating. The one I didn't buy might have the same waterproof rating, but if their sales team don't use that as an advert actively, then I have to wonder how much they know their own product, and by extension, how that product is managed internally at that company. If it doesn't hold the waterproof certification, I ride in the rain, and I'd probably break it (and it wouldn't be covered by warranty).

Your money... your choice. If you buy one, I'd be interested in reading a review, at least.
Having both BT and wi-fi is handy. Obviously, you need to have the BT...otherwise why have a BT headset. The wi-fi is used often to align the camera angle. Without it, you can tell if the camera is adjusted to align properly. I can get the Sena 10C Pro to adjust to the Shoei helmet I have, but the EVO wouldn't work. And without the wi-fi ability to see it on your smartphone, you'd have to keep taking photos and then removing the card...inserting the card into your PC...then going out and repeating the process. Wi-fi just makes it easier.

Why have a camera? Simply because it gives you the ability to capture memories when it isn't safe to pull over. I gave up on capturing videos for the most part when I realized that no one really cared about seeing my videos. But as a way to capture a memory...it's great. I took this with the first Sena 10C (not Pro version) on my post-retirement ride. Over on the left is a jagged sliver of rock that sticks up out of that hill by itself. We were traveling at 70 mph and it wasn't convenient to pull over. And while it isn't a nice pretty professional looking photo...I have the memory captured for me. And that's all that matters.

S10C0019_Moment.jpg

Waterproof ratings include submerging the camera in water...not just using it in the rain. The Sena 10C Pro has the power connection on the bottom and will still allow you to use it while charging in pouring rain. The EVO version has the power connection on the rear towards the top. That was one of the reasons I returned the EVO and went for the "lesser" Pro model. You have to use your head a bit, no matter what the ratings are.

Chris

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I believe the universal pairing is using the BT channels that are normally used by the phone and GPS. To use one of those universal pairing channels to connect with your headset means they have to disconnect from one of the other pairings they normally use. That's a bother for them and often an irritant.
I admit up front that I have no idea but, since Blue-Tooth only claims a range of about 30 feet, I don't see how universal intercom pairing can be using Blue-Tooth. When I have paired to other head-sets using the universal intercom mode the range was less than when I am paired to another Sena, but the range was still thousands of feet, not thirty feet.

In my case, a Sena 20S Evo, I also did not loose my connection to my GPS or to my phone.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
You have to use your head a bit, no matter what the ratings are.
Couldn't agree with you more. Where I ride, rain isn't always vertical, and is quite often biblical. It was a little south of me, but this week three people died paddle boarding a river after heavy rain.

I ride with a comm headset on the left, so I can use buttons while riding, and a separate camera on the right side. Horses for courses in terms of number of devices (and therefore the amount of chargers/batteries on a trip, and remembering to charge devices).

I personally got a camera mostly for the insurance purposes, and while some lesser camera's are perfect for showing basically what people did, I wanted one that would clearly read numberplates at certain distances.

I'm still interested in OPs review, when it's posted though.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I admit up front that I have no idea but, since Blue-Tooth only claims a range of about 30 feet, I don't see how universal intercom pairing can be using Blue-Tooth. When I have paired to other head-sets using the universal intercom mode the range was less than when I am paired to another Sena, but the range was still thousands of feet, not thirty feet.

In my case, a Sena 20S Evo, I also did not loose my connection to my GPS or to my phone.
Bluetooth 5.0 on Maxto & Freeconn offers a much better range, use less power, allows multipairing natively and provide much faster speed for data than the bluetooth 4.1 used by Sena today.
FYI

Characteristics-of-different-Bluetooth-versions.png

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Utah?

I hear you. Have tons of pics and videos from my trips.
I don't care about who's watching my vids. I do when I feel like it.
Utah, yes. I think that was about 45 minutes after leaving Zion National Park on the way to Bryce Canyon.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Indeed OP did, after I asked the question.
From OP's first post: Just to keep some video memory of my trips.

ad.hom said:
That aside, why on earth would you need the device to do both bluetooth and wifi?
I chose not to comment on their answer, because I wasn't asking for them to justify to me
You sure about that? ;)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bluetooth 5.0 on Maxto & Freeconn offers a much better range, use less power, allows multipairing natively and provide much faster speed for data than the bluetooth 4.1 used by Sena today.
It would be interesting to get a hands-on test of two of either of those units. My buddies and I have the Sena 20S and on a very straight road with little traffic I'd say we got very close to if not actually 1mi. At that distant there was some occasional break in signal. On a highway with heavy traffic, it was somewhere between 1/2–3/4mi.

I don't know that it would be a lot farther with 5.0 but it might be clearer. But we normally don't stretch out that far. The advantage of 5.0 might be in rounding curves where the following distance is much less. Sometimes the signal would be good and sometimes the gap had to be closed.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Agreed, specs are one thing, usage in real conditions is another story.
Feedback is on is way!
Jacques

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I genuinely find it funny that someone can use the quote system here so selectively. I'll not continue with that debacle though.

@jacques.luiggi - if my intent came across to you, the way that it did to others, I apologise. I'm more than happy to get into the weeds about why I phrased statements that way, but not with someone random that seems intent on not bringing benefit to this thread.

I look forward to the review. :wine2:

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I genuinely find it funny that someone can use the quote system here so selectively. I'll not continue with that debacle though.

@jacques.luiggi - if my intent came across to you, the way that it did to others, I apologise. I'm more than happy to get into the weeds about why I phrased statements that way, but not with someone random that seems intent on not bringing benefit to this thread.

I look forward to the review. :wine2:
All good, no worries. No hurt feelings! :wine2:

Top Bottom