BMW New driveshaft policy

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
It amazes me that they have these issues. When I bought my first BMW (not a boxer!), I noticed two things that seemed very strange for a motorcycle manufacturer to design into their bikes. My NT700V and the ST's all had shaft drives that seemed bulletproof. Why wasn't BMW's shaft drive as good. After all, the German engineering was supposed to be superior to the rest of the world's engineering.

And then Honda had put these tip-over wings onto a number of their bikes. If I dropped my NT700V, it would cost me about $11 for a new rubber cover and the rest of my bike would be undamaged. Why did BMW design the engine heads to be the first thing to hit if the bike is dropped? A new rubber cover seems a lot better design than a new head.

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Honda isn't perfect, my ST1300 u-joint went out at 50k. It's all about u-joints. Honda uses one at the transmission output shaft then the other end is a gear similar to rear wheel drive cars.

BMW uses one at the same location but also at the other end to the rear gears. That location is susceptible to moisture and contamination especially for GS bike that go off road and through water crossings.

There are lots of RT riders that have over 50k miles on the oem shaft with no issues, some many more miles.

I believe there must have been a court case and subsequent calculations that deemed it was cheaper to offer free replacements at a certain mileage interval vs a multi-million dollar settlement.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
. . . and, how many BMW riders are riding enough miles to exercise the replacement option in any case. Definitely a wise cost saving solution for BMW, AND a benefit to the bike owners for sure.

Shuey

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
. . . and, how many BMW riders are riding enough miles to exercise the replacement option in any case. Definitely a wise cost saving solution for BMW, AND a benefit to the bike owners for sure.

Shuey
Yup

Do other manufacturers that offer shaft drives have similar problems? Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc. Are other designs substantially different or nearly identical to BMW? Curious.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Too much complexity. A simple drive shaft design like the 1100/ 1300 and the old Kawasaki's and Suzuki's and Goldwing were simple. IMHO some manufacturers want to be known for superior inovations and pay the price. Me I'd be happy with a new in the crate ST1100 bullet proof technology. But I guess i'm the odd one here:biggrin:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I still remember the tale of woe I read on the BMW MOA forum. GS owner was from Texas and had 3 weeks of vacation to travel up to Alaska. He was out in the boonies when his drive shaft failed, apparently with no warning. There were no parts in the state, and only two shops available. Both said that even if he had the parts, they didn't have the tools.

He was probably halfway into his vacation time. Did he leave the bike there? Scrap it? Tow it home? Even that would be complicated. I can't imagine there are that many U-Haul stores there, and especially for one-way rentals.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: Tor

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I still remember the tale of woe I read on the BMW MOA forum. GS owner was from Texas and had 3 weeks of vacation to travel up to Alaska. He was out in the boonies when his drive shaft failed, apparently with no warning. There were no parts in the state, and only two shops available. Both said that even if he had the parts, they didn't have the tools.

He was probably halfway into his vacation time. Did he leave the bike there? Scrap it? Tow it home? Even that would be complicated. I can't imagine there are that many U-Haul stores there, and especially for one-way rentals.

Chris
I've heard of several ST u-joint failures here that caused fires, some engulfed the bikes.

No bike is perfect with no issues.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Too much complexity. A simple drive shaft design like the 1100/ 1300 and the old Kawasaki's and Suzuki's and Goldwing were simple. IMHO some manufacturers want to be known for superior inovations and pay the price. Me I'd be happy with a new in the crate ST1100 bullet proof technology. But I guess i'm the odd one here:biggrin:
I don't know why anyone would want to ride old dinosaurs like ST1100s ... :think1:
Unless of course they were an old dinosaur themself! :biggrin:
Like Likes Like. ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't know why anyone would want to ride old dinosaurs like ST1100s ... :think1:
Unless of course they were an old dinosaur themself! :biggrin:
Like Likes Like. ;)
Lol. I do believe u joint were made of much better quality back then.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The way this guy is talking it sounds like fun to just pop on down to the dealer and they’ll give you a new driveshaft. Wow! So much fun that they will have you over for a visit every 60,000km.

Seriously, they are finding it cheaper to replace at this interval then eliminate the problem.
If they built a better drive shaft for twice as much money I’d think that would save labor costs. Sounds to me like changing the driveshaft Is nursing a more expensive part that it is connected to further down road.

But I am one of those people coming up with all sorts of negative ideas about BMW instead of enjoying how wonderful it is they are giving out free driveshafts.

edit: I am getting the idea that a u-joint or such is integral to the shaft.
I guess the expensive part that they are trying to nurse down the road is the rest of the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom