Brake Away throttle lock

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
All the parts are very well manufactured. The distinguishing feature of this setup is that it shuts off if you hit the front brake. The instructions are mediocre with some serious shortcomings.

Craftsmanship: 10
Materials: unknown, it's brand new.
Design: 7, it would be a 10 except for some annoyances with the support clamp fit (see below).
Function: unknown, my planned ride was aborted due to mechanical issue. Will report back later.

While in parts, it's difficult to tell how the device should be oriented on the machine. The instructions don't help because there is no picture of the fully installed device. For that reason, it helps before you try to install it if you sit down and loosely piece it together in your lap. Knowing what the end product should look like will help you install it.

Like all throttle locks, the device works by applying enough pressure to the throttle sleeve to prevent it from snapping back on its own spring power. Some work at the bar end. This one works at the other side of the grip, so it is activated and deactivated with the thumb.

There is a support ring. It's the part that clamps to the handlebar and does not move with the throttle. It's not supposed to touch the matter cylinder. YMMV, but there isn't enough room on the handlebar for the support ring to fit without touching the master cylinder. Moreover, it only fits in one orientation because of the acorn nut on the bottom of the lever pivot. Also, the clamp had to be run under the wires of the right control set, which puts some tension on them. A better design would have had a channel through which the wires could pass. None of that seemed to be a problem for me, but it does make me wonder about design quality. For two hundred bucks, I think they could have made a pass-through for the wires. I may use the original part as a template to make one with a deeper lower half so I can drill a pass through.

If you have flat, hard grips, installation will be easy if you carefully and slowly follow the directions. If you have grips with a palm swell or soft material, then read on. However, the following steps are not part of the manufacturer's instructions and the fact they work for me doesn't mean they will work for you. A failure of your throttle lock could get you killed. I make no warranty this is a safe installation. Use at your own discretion and risk.

The kit comes with four plastic rings of various thicknesses. Place the thickest ring over the grip closest to the master cylinder. That's a temporary shim. Next, you have to identify the correct ring for installation. Start with the thinnest walled ring. You fit it over the grip just outside the temporary shim. By outside, I mean toward the bar end, not over the shim. The correctly sized ring for your grip will have a gap around 1/8 of an inch. If there is no gap but no overlap, cut about 1/8 inch off the end with diagonal cutters and that's your ring. If there is overlap, try the next thickest ring. Repeat until you get the right ring. I used the second thinnest ring.

The plastic rings have canals in them. The canals run perpendicular to the circumference of the ring. Those canals are for set screws to push the ring into your grip to create friction for the part of the throttle lock that moves with the throttle grip.

Identify the sleeve that fits over the plastic ring. It's the one with the set screws on the perimeter, each facing the center of the circle.

When you look inside the sleeve, you'll notice it's about twice as deep as the plastic ring is wide. That would work fine with a hard, flat, grip. But, when you have a palm swell or squishy grip material, the plastic ring slips into that extra space in the sleeve when you turn down the set screws. That's very annoying because you have to back out all the set screws, remove the sleeve, readjust the ring, and try again.

So here's the big secret: take the thinnest available plastic ring available other than the one you selected earlier as the right size to install. Replace the temporary shim with that one. You should have two plastic rings on the grip nearest the MC. The one you sized to your grip should be the outermost of the two. Having two rings doesn't create a problem because the sleeve is deep enough for two rings.

Line up the canals with one canal on top. When you fit the sleeve over the rings, apply pressure toward the master cylinder while you tension the set screws and everything should work nicely. If a set screw goes in more than half way, the ring probably shifted on you. If it's on the ring, it will feel very solid very fast.

If you are very particular, you may want to sand the shim. It depends on the shape of your grips. If I have to do it again for any reason, I think I will put electric tape around the shim so it can't expand and allow the installed ring to shift. I don't think it's going anywhere at this point, though.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
GoCruise, $20, works great. Installs in about a minute. Remove in seconds to install on the next bike.
+100

I love not having to release it to accelerate.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
GoCruise, $20, works great. Installs in about a minute. Remove in seconds to install on the next bike.
I've used the cheapos. They work fine and I've never had a problem with them. However, that's not really the point of a product review. I like the brake release function, which appears to work as advertised. I've been told these come out of adjustment except on flat grips. We'll see. If I had it to do again, I'd put a wrap of electrical tape around the shim.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You don't have to release the BrakeAway to accelerate or decelerate.
I think what Paul means after the need to accelerate and you want to go back to the previously set speed you just relax the throttle hand and the bike slows and resumes that speed. It’s like half a cruise control instead of limited to being a friction lock that has to be reset to resume the previous speed.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You did write a good review. I think the brake release on the Brake Away is a very nice feature, just not worth $150 to me. TBH, I’m surprised they sell enough to still make them.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
You did write a good review. I think the brake release on the Brake Away is a very nice feature, just not worth $150 to me. TBH, I’m surprised they sell enough to still make them.
They're probably popular with Harley riders. I don't know that I will like it. I'll report back after a couple thousand miles in those moccasins.

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
All the parts are very well manufactured. The distinguishing feature of this setup is that it shuts off if you hit the front brake. The instructions are mediocre with some serious shortcomings.

Craftsmanship: 10
Materials: unknown, it's brand new.
Design: 7, it would be a 10 except for some annoyances with the support clamp fit (see below).
Function: unknown, my planned ride was aborted due to mechanical issue. Will report back later.

While in parts, it's difficult to tell how the device should be oriented on the machine. The instructions don't help because there is no picture of the fully installed device. For that reason, it helps before you try to install it if you sit down and loosely piece it together in your lap. Knowing what the end product should look like will help you install it.

Like all throttle locks, the device works by applying enough pressure to the throttle sleeve to prevent it from snapping back on its own spring power. Some work at the bar end. This one works at the other side of the grip, so it is activated and deactivated with the thumb.

There is a support ring. It's the part that clamps to the handlebar and does not move with the throttle. It's not supposed to touch the matter cylinder. YMMV, but there isn't enough room on the handlebar for the support ring to fit without touching the master cylinder. Moreover, it only fits in one orientation because of the acorn nut on the bottom of the lever pivot. Also, the clamp had to be run under the wires of the right control set, which puts some tension on them. A better design would have had a channel through which the wires could pass. None of that seemed to be a problem for me, but it does make me wonder about design quality. For two hundred bucks, I think they could have made a pass-through for the wires. I may use the original part as a template to make one with a deeper lower half so I can drill a pass through.

If you have flat, hard grips, installation will be easy if you carefully and slowly follow the directions. If you have grips with a palm swell or soft material, then read on. However, the following steps are not part of the manufacturer's instructions and the fact they work for me doesn't mean they will work for you. A failure of your throttle lock could get you killed. I make no warranty this is a safe installation. Use at your own discretion and risk.

The kit comes with four plastic rings of various thicknesses. Place the thickest ring over the grip closest to the master cylinder. That's a temporary shim. Next, you have to identify the correct ring for installation. Start with the thinnest walled ring. You fit it over the grip just outside the temporary shim. By outside, I mean toward the bar end, not over the shim. The correctly sized ring for your grip will have a gap around 1/8 of an inch. If there is no gap but no overlap, cut about 1/8 inch off the end with diagonal cutters and that's your ring. If there is overlap, try the next thickest ring. Repeat until you get the right ring. I used the second thinnest ring.

The plastic rings have canals in them. The canals run perpendicular to the circumference of the ring. Those canals are for set screws to push the ring into your grip to create friction for the part of the throttle lock that moves with the throttle grip.

Identify the sleeve that fits over the plastic ring. It's the one with the set screws on the perimeter, each facing the center of the circle.

When you look inside the sleeve, you'll notice it's about twice as deep as the plastic ring is wide. That would work fine with a hard, flat, grip. But, when you have a palm swell or squishy grip material, the plastic ring slips into that extra space in the sleeve when you turn down the set screws. That's very annoying because you have to back out all the set screws, remove the sleeve, readjust the ring, and try again.

So here's the big secret: take the thinnest available plastic ring available other than the one you selected earlier as the right size to install. Replace the temporary shim with that one. You should have two plastic rings on the grip nearest the MC. The one you sized to your grip should be the outermost of the two. Having two rings doesn't create a problem because the sleeve is deep enough for two rings.

Line up the canals with one canal on top. When you fit the sleeve over the rings, apply pressure toward the master cylinder while you tension the set screws and everything should work nicely. If a set screw goes in more than half way, the ring probably shifted on you. If it's on the ring, it will feel very solid very fast.

If you are very particular, you may want to sand the shim. It depends on the shape of your grips. If I have to do it again for any reason, I think I will put electric tape around the shim so it can't expand and allow the installed ring to shift. I don't think it's going anywhere at this point, though.
I guess I am surprised you are having so many issues with the BreakAway unit. I have owned 3 ST 1300 and have had that unit on each of them. I found it worked par excellent and never a problem. In fact I think it's the best made unit out there.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I guess I am surprised you are having so many issues with the BreakAway unit. I have owned 3 ST 1300 and have had that unit on each of them. I found it worked par excellent and never a problem. In fact I think it's the best made unit out there.
I'm not having any problem with its functionality. The only problem was the ring slipping while installing it on a soft material grip with a palm swell and limited fitment range. There has been no problem since installation although, for unrelated reasons, I haven't been able to ride so it hasn't been tested much. Igofar told me his experience has been it goes out of adjustment often. I don't know if I'll have that issue, yet.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I appreciate a well-written review such as the above as it gives insights I may not have been aware of to a product of possible interest. More info is always good.

Not commenting on my personal choice I thought the Brake Away was a lot of bits and a lot of money for its intent.

To the point of releasing when grabbing the front brake – it's a good feature similar to actual cruise controls as opposed to throttle locks. But I realized some time ago (back when Stefani was selling her BA) that I always roll of the throttle when using the front brake. It's a function of pulling the lever that I've somehow incorporated. I do it even if "covering" the brake with two fingers which is the majority of the time.

This was nothing I've been taught - its more of a natural nature than a learned response. It's not the same as merely coming off throttle because you want to slow. It just happens in grabbing a handful. If this wasn't the case for me I'd have considered the BA.

For those who might be unfamiliar with it - Brake Away Motorcycle Cruise Control (their words).

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
A normal braking action involves rolling off the throttle. You can do that whether the throttle lock disengages or not. That's why it's not a common feature. Break Away could be seen as a form of over-engineered gadgetry: solving a non-existent problem.

On the other hand, If the Brake Away fails and doesn't turn off, you're exactly where you would be with a standard throttle lock design. No harm, no foul.

I'm not particularly stumping for it or against it. I haven't used it yet. Using it while on the center stand, I like the solid metallic engagement and disengagement. It makes nice clicky sounds and has a strong feel. That's about all I can say about it from a practical standpoint.

People are going to buy what they want. I didn't write this either to encourage people to get a Brake Away or to dissuade them from doing so. I wrote it so people who decide they want one can more easily overcome an installation challenge they may face.

If anybody wants a perfectly fine $20 throttle lock, they can easily get one. I know they exist. I've had them. I doubt anybody accidentally purchases one of the pricey throttle locks or does so with ignorance of their options. I chose this on purpose with decades of riding experience and personal experience with ordinary stuff. I will probably be satisfied with it. I'm not sure what K the hubbub is about. I'm surprised anybody would bother to respond if they either never owned a Brake Away or have no plans to obtain one. :shrug2:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yeah, well that’s kinda how forums operate... someone brings up a topic or question and people discuss it. Your review is appreciated, just don’t take the responses personal... they’re not directed at you.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I don't take it personally at all and I'm not indignant. I think it just muddies the water and borders on hijacking: it's a waste of time. It was much more distracting in the listserv days, so there's that.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't take it personally at all and I'm not indignant. I think it just muddies the water and borders on hijacking: it's a waste of time. It was much more distracting in the listserv days, so there's that.
It's been said democracy is messy the way it works. Sounds like forums, doesn't it?

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My conclusion is that it doesn't fit the ST1300 very well. The brake release didn't work properly and the clamp mechanism to the throttle was not strong enough. Everything was made well, but I think they need to separately sell fitment kits for different bikes. The weak binding to the grip can be fixed if you get your own tiny metric plugs in a longer length. Maybe with harder gross it would work better.

I switched it out for a go cruise.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My conclusion is that it doesn't fit the ST1300 very well. The brake release didn't work properly and the clamp mechanism to the throttle was not strong enough. Everything was made well, but I think they need to separately sell fitment kits for different bikes. The weak binding to the grip can be fixed if you get your own tiny metric plugs in a longer length. Maybe with harder gross it would work better.

I switched it out for a go cruise.
+1 on the Go Cruise.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I got one of these from a guy giving it away on another forum. it was actually made for an NC700X. I modified it slightly to fit the ST, since it would not work on my NC700X- ( heated grips obstruct it.)
I found it to be very well made, a bit over-engineered ( K.I.S.S.), and to work well when installed properly. Mine does not slip at all, I had no issues installing it, after watching the company's video. It COULD be that the one designed for the ST is not done particularly well, but mine performs flawlessly. TBH, I would NOT have spent the big $$ for one of these, but it IS a nice bit of kit. I have used the GO cruise and other throttle locks in the past, but this one IS much nicer.

Top Bottom