Brake Fluid non O.E.M.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Wasn't thinking ahead I guess but most of you know I'm a oem type of guy but...well here is my story I get my tire changed and fluids changed tomorrow at 9 am at my independant shop and the Honda stop don't open till 10am to get my brake fluids. And Monday they are closed. So I was thinking of braking tradition and getting some DOT 3 fluid from Wallmart and use that and was just checking how many if any has used Wallmart BF. Also I think it's DOT 3 I need. Thanks.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
And Honda doesn't make a brake fluid either, so buying a bottle with Honda on the label will just cost more. DOT 4 fluid is all the same - a synthetic product - no matter whose name is on the label.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
And Honda doesn't make a brake fluid either, so buying a bottle with Honda on the label will just cost more. DOT 4 fluid is all the same - a synthetic product - no matter whose name is on the label.
this got me curious so I Googled it and found a small bottle of Honda DOT4 for $4.59. Couldn't read the label to see the exact size of the container, looked like 12oz. Anyway, when I buy it at the auto parts store its a 32oz container for about $10-12, and that's way more than I need for a motorcycle. In this case, the $5 Honda container may actually be the better choice.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wasn't thinking ahead I guess but most of you know I'm a oem type of guy but...well here is my story I get my tire changed and fluids changed tomorrow at 9 am at my independant shop and the Honda stop don't open till 10am to get my brake fluids. And Monday they are closed. So I was thinking of braking tradition and getting some DOT 3 fluid from Wallmart and use that and was just checking how many if any has used Wallmart BF. Also I think it's DOT 3 I need. Thanks.
While all brake fluids are probably not created equal, you can use any DOT 4 brand you like, just like you can use any engine oil that meets Honda's minimum requrements. Since this is not an oil thread (yes, I know, brake juice is an oil) that's enough said. I've been buying a quart - usually NAPA's house brand and I run a minimum of 3 reservoirs full of fluid through the lines for each bleeder nipple. This uses a bit less than a pint, but I have 3 bikes, and I'll use up the whole bottle in one weekend.

You might consider bleeding your clutch at the same time - or is that what you mean by 'fluids'. I'm surprised the shop lets you provide the materials.

Don't forget....
Blinker fluid.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
Can you even find DOT3 any more? All I see is DOT4 which has a higher boiling point.
Don't know about north of the border, but down here, yes, auto parts stores still carry DOT 3. And DOT3/4 and DOT4. And, since the DOT spec lists a minimum boiling point, some brands brag about their boiling point and list it on the label when it is higher than the minimum.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
So being an OEM type of guy, does that mean that you settle with using stuff that meets the minimum requirements so Honda makes more profit :rofl1:
You want DOT 4, If you want to use the Walmart stuff, use the blue bottles of Super Tech, rumor has it that its made by Valvoline as their house brand ;)
Valvoline, Prestone, SuperTech, they all work equally well.
Most of the HONDA stuff you buy, you will find it dark root beer brown upon opening the bottle, because its sat on the shelf and has gone past its shelf life etc.
I've seen cases of this stuff get thrown out from age, because nobody wastes that much money on their brake fluid etc.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
While all brake fluids are probably not created equal, you can use any DOT 4 brand you like, just like you can use any engine oil that meets Honda's minimum requrements. Since this is not an oil thread (yes, I know, brake juice is an oil) that's enough said. I've been buying a quart - usually NAPA's house brand and I run a minimum of 3 reservoirs full of fluid through the lines for each bleeder nipple. This uses a bit less than a pint, but I have 3 bikes, and I'll use up the whole bottle in one weekend.

You might consider bleeding your clutch at the same time - or is that what you mean by 'fluids'. I'm surprised the shop lets you provide the materials.

Don't forget....
Blinker fluid.png
Last time shop changed my fluid my rear caliper stuck and my clutch fluid reservior was darker than it should be. I don't know what the deal was. They used their bulk brake fluid.So this time I'm bringing my own.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
So being an OEM type of guy, does that mean that you settle with using stuff that meets the minimum requirements so Honda makes more profit :rofl1:
You want DOT 4, If you want to use the Walmart stuff, use the blue bottles of Super Tech, rumor has it that its made by Valvoline as their house brand ;)
Valvoline, Prestone, SuperTech, they all work equally well.
Most of the HONDA stuff you buy, you will find it dark root beer brown upon opening the bottle, because its sat on the shelf and has gone past its shelf life etc.
I've seen cases of this stuff get thrown out from age, because nobody wastes that much money on their brake fluid etc.
Super Tech blue bottle Dot 4 is what I bought so we shall see. On the Honda oils and fluid's I figure somebody has to make the money...might as well be Honda. :crackup:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Last time shop changed my fluid my rear caliper stuck and my clutch fluid reservior was darker than it should be. I don't know what the deal was. They used their bulk brake fluid.So this time I'm bringing my own.
Changing the hydraulics fluids is so simple, even doing it the manual way, why aren't you doing it yourself?

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Changing the hydraulics fluids is so simple, even doing it the manual way, why aren't you doing it yourself?
They charged me $78.00 to take off right hard bag, seat, right side panel and gray lower panel. Bled clutch. Bled front brakes and rear brakes. Reassembled said parts and tested all for 78 bucks.

Bike
2007 ST1300
They charged me $78.00
Not too bad--support local economy-- I say--- if someone doesn't keep them in business ( just not me) they will all leave.............

I just did my clutch yesterday for about $2.19 worth of DOT 4 fluid. But I enjoy doing work on my own bike..Keeps me out of trouble and less dependent on others.:thumb:

Top Bottom