Brake Pads same for ABS TCS and non-ABS models?

Heliredcat

Very clean 95 st1100 abs/tcs
Bike
St1100
Can someone tell me if the brake pads are the same for the abs tcs and non abs models. Im looking at EBC FA142 HH,to put on my 95 abs,tcs bike,one place says they fit another place says they dont. Help please, thx dave

Bike
ST1100AY 2001
Not sure about US spec but in GB they are different, I made the mistake of ordering st1100 pads and they were shorter than my cbs model, get good ones you will feel the difference.

OP
OP
Heliredcat

Heliredcat

Bike
St1100
Not sure about US spec but in GB they are different, I made the mistake of ordering st1100 pads and they were shorter than my cbs model, get good ones you will feel the difference.
Thank you for the info,what do you think of EBC 142 HH ,this is supposed to be the good pads,

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know for 96 ABSII and later they are definitely different pads but I don't know for sure on the ABSI.
BTW, I've always used Mother Honda brake pads and still am using my original discs (3 ST1100s all with over 100,000 miles on them).
IIRC, the EBC pads are rougher and wear on the discs more than the 'stockers'.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Not the same , at least not on a 2000 model (Norway). I put on Ferodo FDB 2098 (Front) and FDB 2075 (Rear) . They work fine, I have not had any problems. (2000 ABS/TCS) . My local MC parts store didn't get it right the first time around, IIRC the non ABS pads are smaller in size.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not the same , at least not on a 2000 model (Norway). I put on Ferodo FDB 2098 (Front) and FDB 2075 (Rear) . They work fine, I have not had any problems. (2000 ABS/TCS) . My local MC parts store didn't get it right the first time around, IIRC the non ABS pads are smaller in size.
But he has a 95 ABSI which has the same front end as the standard models. The ABSII (96 and later) definitely have different pads.
It appears from the Honda Manual that they do (pre 96 on the left, 96 ABSII on the right) -;)

Brake Pads Honda Manual.jpg

Last edited:

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
But he has a 95 ABSI which has the same front end as the standard models. The ABSII (96 and later) definitely have different pads.
It appears from the Honda Manual that they do (pre 96 on the left, 96 ABSII on the right)
Yes ! my bad , I forgot about the ABS l vs ABS ll !

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why OEM ?
Various reports.
OEM pads fit properly. Slightly loose pads increase the wear rate on the caliper bracket which can seriously affect correct braking action down the line.
OEM rear pads have more friction material.
OEM typically have 4 segments of friction material, which makes a difference clearing debris from the surface of the pads and the disc / rotor

Personally, I found the OEM pads lasted longer; braking was smooth and quiet. Non-OEM pads that I tried (EBC) were quite noisy, braking was not progressive, provided no more braking power and actually were worse when they had become clogged with road grime. Rear pads wore out very quickly on the non-linked bike (OEM pads have thicker material on the rear to compensate).

I found the ST1100 twin piston brakes to be quite 'lazy' when trying to slow down a fully loaded bike. I tried all sorts of things, but one of the most effective ways was to regularly clean the brake discs and the brake pads. Half an hour of riding and braking hard on wet roads seemed to give them a thorough steam clean and sharpened them up.
The biggest improvement - I took the front wheel off and cleaned out the excessive amount of grease that I found between the seal and the bearing. The movement of the wheel had been forcing it out, and it was being spun out in a fine film across the surface of the disc.

If you need to find out, then buy EBC or whatever. Note the wear marks on the the removed pads and on the disc surface and see how you go on.
But do yourself a favour and also buy some OEM pads. Make a proper, informed comparison.

I know that they are more expensive. I don't have money to burn, but I've only ever bought one set of EBC pads, and since then I always pay the going rate for full sets of OEM.

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Strongly urge you to AVOID EBC pads and use OEM Honda pads.
I agree with Larry (@Igofar ) and John (@jfheath ) - stick with OEM brake pads. I installed a set of aftermarket brake pads on my ST 1100 once, only because I could not easily get OEM pads in the country I was in at the time. I wasn't at all happy with them - they dragged at first, probably because the total thickness of the pad was not as carefully controlled as the OEM parts, and they didn't last as long as OEM pads normally do.

For really safety-critical systems, such as brakes, it's always better to err on the safe side and go with OEM.

Michael

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
One mistake that was made a few times in the very early days of the ST1100 that gave EBC a bad rep was in addition to the FA142HH, they made another set of pads in GG friction rating that also fit the ST1100. People who bought them didn't like their stopping ability (because they are one level lower friction rating than the OEM pads) and cursed EBC for making lousy pads. I've been using the EBC FA142HH for over 20 years, along with Galfer once, and have been happy with all of them. I also owned the bike since new, so OEMs were my first set for reference purposes. I came from a sportbike to the ST1100, so I was a pretty aggressive rider in the early days, and didn't notice any difference between the stopping power of the OEMs and the EBC HH rated pads.

As far as rotor wear is concerned:

1. I don't know much about how the various friction ratings are determined, measured, or calibrated, but there is a standard that they all work to. It would seem that any HH friction rated brake pad is going to be more or less equivalent to any other HH rated pad in regards to how well it stops, and how much it wears the rotors.

2. just like with tires, the rotor wear rate is highly dependent on how the bike is ridden. If you cruise the Interstate at 75mph for hundreds of miles at a time, your tires are going to last longer, and your brakes aren't going to be used much at all, so you'll get a lot of miles before your rotors wear out, just like with the tires. If you ride twisties aggressively and are constantly on/off the brakes, your tires and your rotors are going to wear out in less miles than if you mainly ride freeway. So, one rider may get 150k out of a set of rotors, and another rider 50k, using the same pads, it all depends on how they ride. Just like one rider gets 15k out of a front tire, and another rider gets 8k.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Not sure about EBC, but a set of Galfer pads installed were absolutely terrifying in the rain. Initially front brake application felt like no brakes at all, so instinctively one squeezes harder as adrenaline kicks in, at which point the brakes very suddenly dry out and transition to very hard braking. I think if I had not had ABS this would have locked the front wheel and sent me down the road on my ass! I changed back to the OEM pads immediately.

OP
OP
Heliredcat

Heliredcat

Bike
St1100
I know for 96 ABSII and later they are definitely different pads but I don't know for sure on the ABSI.
BTW, I've always used Mother Honda brake pads and still am using my original discs (3 ST1100s all with over 100,000 miles on them).
IIRC, the EBC pads are rougher and wear on the discs more than the 'stockers'.
Thanks for the reply.Im going with EBC HH pads. The honda pads were changed twice by the original owner,two sets in 57k, the original owner always rode with his wife,i will keep an eye on the disk wear, Dave

Top Bottom