BT020 OEM or BT021 tires?

I have an 020 on the rear and a 021 on the front with about 5000 so far the tires show a little wear in the center and the front shows a small amount of wear on the sides as I like to corner a little briskly sometimes. So far I like them a lot better than the Metzlers that came with the bike when I bought it, 98 ST1100:bk11:

Bike
2005 ST13
I have BT21 front and rear. This front is only going to last for 4500 miles or so. I'll estimate that the rear will last for 7k. All that marketing techno-babble doesn't yield any better result.

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
OK, here's another one that I personal experience with (and it was ridden more "normally", with a good mix of riding. Not as dramitic, but it causes aweful handlebar feedback:
I was just researching the experience others have had with the 021 front tire and I swear this looks just like mine! I have ~4000 miles on the tires and they are developing the same pattern. The bike does indeed fight me to go into a turn but once I lean past the ridge, it "falls" into the turn. On the other hand, I guess it is teaching me to be a better rider to handle unnatural handling. On the other hand, I miss the bike that knew where I wanted to go before I did! I think I will punt on the 021s the next tire change.

For what it is worth, the rear still looks OK. My front is down to the wear bars though. Good thing I bought a Cycle Hill tire change because I may be needing it before the end of the summer.

bridgestones suck... do your research. reactive rubber compounds wear more evenly and perform better! Dual compounds like those featured in the bridgestone and michelin are out and reactive compounds like the metzler Z6 interact and Avon Storm are in!

Bike
'04 ST1300A4
BT021s on the front really seem to wear out quickly - much worse mileage than Bt020s. :(
On both mine and a buddy's ST1300 they were really toast after less than 10k kms. And the same strange, scary handling characteristics as described by others. I did replace with the same thing again to keep front and rear the same model, but will definitely look for alternate for next time. What has the experience with the Metzler Z6 been?

020's = 8,000 miles, 021's 5,000 miles. Switched to ST Storm's third set on the bike and always 10,000 on the rear and 12,000 on the fronts. Just put a new set of Storms on the bike and the people I got them thru order the wrong rear size. 180/55 as to a 170/60 it calls for. Fits in the swing arm and I'm going to see how they ride. Winds up being almost 10mm wider.

Bike
Ford F150
STOC #
Metzler Z6 feel great for awhile but go away quick , got 6 k and they were toast......021 5700 mi and cords showing on rear,,,front square.....the 020 was the best tire i ran on Blue Bike :04biker:

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I'm running a 021 on the rear (mainly because I couldn't get a 020 F) and a 020 on the front. I've got just under 6 thousand miles on the pair and they're looking good so far. The 021 seems twitchy on painted lines and tar snakes. The 020's never reacted that way. The 020/021 combo was very planted in the wet when they were new, except the painted line issue. I'm hoping to get my usual 10,000 mile use per set, but I think I'll try the Avons on the next change. Cheers Marty

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
This tire looks just like my front tire after only 4000+ miles. Handling issues are the same too. I've just ordered some Pilot Road 2's. No more *****stone's for me.

Best,
michellin Road Pilot 2s? The most confidence inspiring, hard wearing, multi-purpose, grippy, delightfully firm, and good looking technological success stories of the modern age. Lament: replacing the almost new rear with the 021 is just bloody dangerous; a sloppy rid-shod example of marketing by business drivers over successful testing and development ever.

There. I feel better.

Now, who was that utter b@@@ard that fitted that vulcanised excuse of a 021 disaster to my Shadowfax's rear end? Why aren't Gun Laws (UK) more like the US? I'd force a free replacement.

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
OK, here's another one that I personal experience with (and it was ridden more "normally", with a good mix of riding. Not as dramitic, but it causes aweful handlebar feedback:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30883&d=1211083049

That is exactly how my rear one looked just before the cords showed. I did get good mileage out of it (about 15,000 kms) but the front one shows the same infamous hump as the back one. Front has about 5000 kms on it but no wear on the sides. I also wondered why road snakes and slightly wet paint lines made the bike squirm (2001 ST 1100). So that was not all in my head!!

I will likely try the Avon Storm next time.

Glad this info was here when I did my search today for BT021. :)

Top Bottom