BT45 tire cracking???

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
The chart at the upper right of the wiki site you referenced is accurate, which is from NOAA. It's the same chart I have been using for years and the same principle and effects hold true to temperatures that do effect metal, rubber, plastic and so on. If the tire is just sitting there and that 100mph wind you are talking about hits it for a prolonged period of time you'll see a marked decrease to ambient as long as it remains there. Get a pyrometer and check it out.
I guess you didn't read the article:

For inanimate objects, the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity...

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hey, Dan? That BT45 tire you bought from me had never seen 32?F while it was in my possession.
This disclaimer has been provided in order to hopefully bring a little levity among us during this serious discussion.:p:
Funny thing...I almost got that tire! Instead I got a different BT45 thanks to Dan...a real class act there (I suspect he may deny that :D) That story will be posted at a future time.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Get a pyrometer and check it out.
Windchill only affects the feel of the air (as in the skin on living beings, but it will cause a non-living thing to adjust temperature faster), not the actual temperature of something. Maybe using the pyrometer is messing with things, try a contact thermocouple, or just a good old bulb thermometer.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Wind chill, or what it really is- moving air, will bring the temperature of the object to the temperature of the air quicker by passing more air over the object. Be that object a human (98.6 degrees), a tire brought out from inside a warm garage (60 degrees?) or a hot radiator with cool air passing over it. It will also increase temperature if the air is warmer than the object. Regardless, if the tire is in 20 degree air, regardless of how fast either the tire or the air is moving, the tire can't go colder than 20 degrees unless other forces are acting on it.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
The rep from BS (LOL) who could not get his story correct and terminated the call was TJ Tenet 615 937 3200, He did his best not to answer my questions when I kept asking "Am I Safe". He didn't sound to happy with Garfield Hanes for his statement in the e-mail about not using the tires below freezing. His stand was BS has no High or Low temp rating on there tires for sport bikes.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
His stand was BS has no High or Low temp rating on there tires for sport bikes.
Interesting. I may give him a call. I got a reply from Bridgestone on their FB page where I had posted a pic of my tire. Their response: "If you would like someone from the motorcycle department to call you, please private message your phone number. Thanks." I replied "I already discussed it by phone and e-mail, and was told your tires are not to be exposed to temperatures below freezing. A quote from one of the e-mails I received:

"Jim, the tires have experienced this type of cracking due to being in freezing and below conditions. Unfortunately this condition is not covered under the workmanship and materials warranty."

I won't be holding my breath for another response, but maybe taking a different route will get a different answer.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
As far as using these tires, I'm very glad I went with the Michelin Pilot Activ instead.

As far as storing the BT45's in cold temps, since the tire is not being deformed at all, I don't think it will be an issue, however, just rolling down the road on your bike the tire will see a fair amount of deformation, without hitting anything at all.

FWIW - I don't like Bridgestone golf products, either.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Boy, although I'm not a dark-sider, after following this thread I've lost faith in the honesty & integrity of Bridgestone management. I found their attitude curt and non-professional, not to mention seriously non-accommodating. So much for customer service from Bridgestone. You could cut & paste this into a new thread on Bridgestone vendor feedback I suppose... I'll be changing my BT020's out for PR3's next time. I wonder how Michelin would have responded to this? Or do I really want to know? I'm really glad nothing catastrophic came out of this! Consequently, I will be adding a thorough tire exam to my pre-ride ritual now.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
As far as storing the BT45's in cold temps, since the tire is not being deformed at all, I don't think it will be an issue, however, just rolling down the road on your bike the tire will see a fair amount of deformation, without hitting anything at all.
I completely agree, and this shows that they gave little thought to their response...as Sennister said, they were poorly worded. Whether it was poor wording, or their real stance on the subject...I'll let others come to their own conclusions. At minimum, I think there are better ways Bridgestone could have handled this.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Boy, although I'm not a dark-sider, after following this thread I've lost faith in the honesty & integrity of Bridgestone management. I found their attitude curt and non-professional, not to mention seriously non-accommodating. So much for customer service from Bridgestone. You could cut & paste this into a new thread on Bridgestone vendor feedback I suppose... I'll be changing my BT020's out for PR3's next time. I wonder how Michelin would have responded to this? Or do I really want to know? I'm really glad nothing catastrophic came out of this! Consequently, I will be adding a thorough tire exam to my pre-ride ritual now.
You're going to like the PR3's much better!

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The NHTSA is the federal agency charged with regulating safety standards in the auto industry and transportation. To achieve its stated mission of reducing fatalities, injuries and costs associated with auto accidents, the NHTSA acts through research, public education and consumer protection initiatives; investigates defects and enforces manufacturer compliance with safety standards; and helps regulate other standards such as fuel economy. It deals with topics from safety defects, crash testing and accident statistics to child seats, teen driving and pedestrians.

I don't know if it would go anywhere, but maybe a letter with pics could get some answers. All I'd like to know as stated by other members is "am I safe".

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yeah, but all the hullaballou with Firestones on Fords centered around low inflation, not self destruction in colder temperatures. FWIW, I was involved in that I owned an Excursion with Firestone tires having a "D" load rating. All they did was replace them with "E" load rating tires. The D's were fine, but only if you kept them inflated. That fiasco may be one reason TPMS has been standard equipment on '07 and later models.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, but all the hullaballou with Firestones on Fords centered around low inflation, not self destruction in colder temperatures. FWIW, I was involved in that I owned an Excursion with Firestone tires having a "D" load rating. All they did was replace them with "E" load rating tires. The D's were fine, but only if you kept them inflated. That fiasco may be one reason TPMS has been standard equipment on '07 and later models.
Might be one of the sub reasons but the main one is that it was mandated by the EPA for MPG reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Might have missed this in all the posts, but what is the date code on the tire in question?
Is it really last years tire?

Top Bottom