Cabela's Boundary Waters II Waterproof Duffel (Reg)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

For a while now, I've been looking for a duffel to replace the one I've been using for years as it was starting to fall apart.

I've had a hard time finding one that is just the right dimensions,
most of them are way long at 28-42 inches or way short at 10-18 inches,
not much in between.

Well, I saw this one on the cabelas site and decided to order it. It was only $39.99 and is a roll-top waterproof duffel.

I got it last week and the dimensions are perfect. It is just long enough to hang over the passenger grab rails of the Wing which provide an excellent location to strap it down, should also work well with the ST. It will hold a regular size thermarest or air mattress, Sleeping Bag, camp pillow and room for a tent. I opted to get an additional bag (another review) for the tent to keep it separate from the stuff that needs to stay dry just in case it rains.

For those that don't know what a roll-top is, it's got one opening at the top and you roll it down and squeeze the air out of it to seal it and make a waterproof seal. There are no zippers. The ends of the roll top snap to the sides of the bag and there are two additional snaps to go across the bag to secure it even more. It also have built in carrying straps like most duffels and it also has an optional shoulder strap if you want to use it.

I've researched many truly waterproof bags and the cheapest I had found were in the $60 range and smaller than this one. The bag this one is replacing is just one I found at Target years ago for $20 and is coated on the inside with some plastic or urethane, maybe. It has done OK in the rain but the zipper is definitely not waterproof. The outside is starting to come apart. I have a hellen two wheels duffel however, the size isn't right and the one bag that she has which is similar to the cabela bag in size is $95.

Only time will tell if this will hold up to many camping trips but based on the quality of what I see and comparing it to the Sea Line bag that Trailace has used for years, I'm thinking it's a winner. And, the price is the best part.

Click the pic below to go to the cabela site and see more details, I got the Regular size ((24"L x 12"W x 12"H) 3,456 cu. in.)

Click for Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Joe,

I concur Cabela's has got great stuff. I also have one 37 miles from me in Dundee, MI. I seem to do a pilgrimage to that place about every other week on the bike. Now you have given me another reason to go there.

Dennis

cv_rider

Chuck -
Joe,

Thanks, that does look like a great seat bag for the bike. I've only bought a few items from Cabellas over the years. The quality of those items is quite high and their entire line looks to be of similar build.

Seriously, not poking fun but what do you carry with you when camping / touring? It seems like the Wing would have a adequate storage capacity from the factory.

Chuck
'04 ST1300A

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
cv_rider said:
Joe,

Thanks, that does look like a great seat bag for the bike. I've only bought a few items from Cabellas over the years. The quality of those items is quite high and their entire line looks to be of similar build.

Seriously, not poking fun but what do you carry with you when camping / touring? It seems like the Wing would have a adequate storage capacity from the factory.

Chuck
'04 ST1300A
Well, in my seat bag I keep:
Sleeping bag,
Thermarest or air mattress,
camping pillow,
bath towel,
shower shoes,
camping mallet,
Axe - sometimes,
Tent,
propane/butane tank/lantern

In my right saddlebag I have all my clothes

In my left saddlebag I have my repair stuff like tools,
small compressor, waterproof liners for pants/jacket,
rain gloves, 1/2 bike cover.

I like to keep my trunk empty as it's a place to put my helmet, GPS, overpants when I go inside someplace to eat. Also, it's always nice to have some extra space for souvenirs.

I basically had the same setup with the ST, only there is a little more space on the Wing so the trunk on the ST did have some of the misc camp gear like the lantern. But, I think this bag help to have a place for even that stuff.

We have this same bag. They work great, come with their own strap, so with a loop strap, will tie down to grab rails very easily. Can't beat the price.

Tom

maxib

I'm working on it...ok?
Thanks for the reviews everyone. It looks like I have another thing to put on the Christmas wish list!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
Cabella's also makes a waterproof back pack in the same blue color, I bought one to use instead of my Givi when my wife is not with me, Takes up the pillon seat and luggage rack but is lower profile than the Givi so should not cause the high speed wobble, have not tried it yet.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
This was a great suggestion. I'm going to have to pick one of these up. The color match is great.

Curt

number9

I have been looking for a good water proof duffel as well. Like the looks of the ones in the Stich catalog but don't like the price - I think alot of their stiff is priced a little high. This bag looks really good and I plan to pic one up as well - wished it came in yellow though.

Thanks for the heads up Mellow.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Picked up the regular size on Saturday morning. Nice bag. Very well made. This will give me the additional storage to carry as much as I could use. Won't have to compromise on a trip. Thanks Joe.

Dennis

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Gug said:
Picked up the regular size on Saturday morning. Nice bag. Very well made. This will give me the additional storage to carry as much as I could use. Won't have to compromise on a trip. Thanks Joe.

Dennis
Dennis, glad it's gonna help you out. I've never had a bag made of this type of material and I hope it performs over the long haul. A friend of mine has a similar bag from seal line (?) and his has lasted at least several years but I think they are a little thicker... don't know for sure.

I really like it and it seems to be the perfect Sport Touring bag...

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Joe,

My experience with Cabela's has been very positive on their gear. I have been buying stuff from them for over twenty years and have never had an issue. With what I have spent I should have my own parking spot. But that's a different issue.

Dennis

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've mentioned that I'm in the SCUBA business on a couple of threads....

I have a great account set up with AKONA for my SCUBA business. These guys build great bags. All sorts of bags....many waterproof. Go to: www.akona.com Then to the gear bags then to 'speciality' for the waterproof bags. Take the time to look around the site. They make great stuff.

I am glad to offer anyone on ST-owners a cost plus 10% plus shipping deal on any AKONA product. I'll never sell a lot of gear here...and I want to contribute to the site and members as best I can. I think this site is great. Well managed and a great group of people using the site. This AKONA gear isn't inexpensive stuff...but not too bad and it's built to hold up under some pretty tough conditions....SCUBA is very hard on gear.

Forest

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
uptoblackwood said:
I've mentioned that I'm in the SCUBA business on a couple of threads....

I have a great account set up with AKONA for my SCUBA business. These guys build great bags. All sorts of bags....many waterproof. Go to: www.akona.com Then to the gear bags then to 'speciality' for the waterproof bags. Take the time to look around the site. They make great stuff.

I am glad to offer anyone on ST-owners a cost plus 10% plus shipping deal on any AKONA product. I'll never sell a lot of gear here...and I want to contribute to the site and members as best I can. I think this site is great. Well managed and a great group of people using the site. This AKONA gear isn't inexpensive stuff...but not too bad and it's built to hold up under some pretty tough conditions....SCUBA is very hard on gear.

Forest
Forest, great offer!.. I'm gonna see how the Cabelas holds up but the akona dry duffel looks to be very similar. Just to get an idea, what would be the price of it?

Also, since you are in Richardson, are you gonna make it to the Thursday night 12/1 ST-Owners.com anniversary Rocket Charlie is buying the coffee meeting.?

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'll try to put a post up with some pricing for examples. The dry duffle runs $70 list. My cost is $36. So add plus 10%, tax for those in Texas...if I ship I will charge whatever that cost is exactly. I love the deluxe mesh bag as well. They make so many different types of bags...all of them are top quality. The "compression" bag was larger last year and I stuffed two of them into the mesh deluxe backpack and have been lashing them to the back rack with very good success. The compression bags are a bit smaller this year...but it would work great that way. The deluxe mesh backpack works as a stuff sack...but has a heavy YKK zipper down the length. The outside pocket is dry and there is a long inside dry section as well. Not much space in the dry parts of the mesh bag....but when you use it to hold several other dry bags it works great.

Forest

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
uptoblackwood said:
I'll try to put a post up with some pricing for examples. The dry duffle runs $70 list. My cost is $36. So add plus 10%, tax for those in Texas...if I ship I will charge whatever that cost is exactly. I love the deluxe mesh bag as well. They make so many different types of bags...all of them are top quality. The "compression" bag was larger last year and I stuffed two of them into the mesh deluxe backpack and have been lashing them to the back rack with very good success. The compression bags are a bit smaller this year...but it would work great that way. The deluxe mesh backpack works as a stuff sack...but has a heavy YKK zipper down the length. The outside pocket is dry and there is a long inside dry section as well. Not much space in the dry parts of the mesh bag....but when you use it to hold several other dry bags it works great.

Forest
If that's the same dimensions as the Cabelas bag you might get some hits for it as I don't think everyone cares for the blue bag and doubt anyone wants the camo bag for riding.

Hope to see ya Thursday.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
uptoblackwood said:
The AKONA dry duffle is 22 in X 12.5 in diameter for 2697 cu. in. capacity
Looks like a close match... the Cabelas is (24"L x 12"W x 12"H) for 3,456 cu. in. Probably not enough of a difference to matter.

Top Bottom