Calling all BMW R1200RTW owners

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
After you have owned the bike for a while, I'm looking for your comments on performance and maintenance costs. How many miles have you put on bike? Are you still happy with the bike? Would you purchase again?
Thanks.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I have 24,000 miles and yes I would purchase it again! So far the bike has been amazing, I brought my bike to dealer for the 600 mile(roughly $250) and the big service 12,000( which ran about $515 but I also included brake flush for another $150 and I had Max BMW pickup my bike for $55. Oil/filter changes at 6,000 & 19,000(was suppose to be 18,000 but the other services got pushed a little) I have done myself, beemerboneyard.com have an oil change kit to purchase that includes oil, filter and o-rings for around $60. This bike is the easiest oil change I have ever done! I also do my own tires since I have a tire changer and the back tire again is super easy, 5 lug nuts and it’s off after moving the muffler out a little. As far as rear diff, it gets done at BMW at 600 ?? I think and then bmw doesn’t recommend changing it after that but I do it at every oil change, again easy to do. When I purchased the bike new, I bit the bullet and bought all my accessories at once, so they would be done! Russell day long seat(although the stock seat is not bad) Clearwater lights including Billie light in rear, handle bar risers, tip over bars front and rear, highway pegs, tourtech handle bar bag(I do not like tank bags) pannier liners, I now have a new windshield (Works Quiet ride) I waited till around 19,000 miles to put that on, should have done that at 1,000 miles. I also installed hidden Valentine 1 radar detector, wired for heated gear and battery tender. Every time I take the bike out, I still love it after 24,000 miles and hoping to put on as many as possible. I think broke under warranty but that was my fault but didn’t tell the dealer and was replaced free of charge. If you are thinking of getting on, take a test ride, I did, dealer come back in 15 mins and I took it out for an hour and half and was sold!!! Get the water cooled version definitely!! I rode the later non water cooled and did not like it, Some would disagree with me but that’s just my opinion. Hope this helps! Not sure if you live in my area(New Hampshire) if you around here could show you my bike more. Good luck in whatever you decide! Oh by the way when I was ready to buy I went around to all the dealers and asked for test rides, BMW and Triumph were only ones that would let me take a bike out. I told them”I not buying a $20 something thousand dollar bike and can’t take it for a small ride to see if I let it. I first wanted to try out the FJR but no dealer would let me ride one. I ended up with BMW, and I have to say now these bikes no more expensive than any other bike. Good luck!

Attachments

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
After you have owned the bike for a while, I'm looking for your comments on performance and maintenance costs. How many miles have you put on bike? Are you still happy with the bike? Would you purchase again?
Thanks.
Perf = Simply awesome power, handling, protection, weight, ergonomics. Best bike I've owned as a total package. Yes, better than the ST11 or ST13. (I'll be hung for that heresy!! :D)
Costs = nothing unusual; very easy to maintain. Only potential 'issue' is dealer's prices for service.
Miles = too few, only about 5k mi over a couple years (unrelated to bike)
Happy? Yes, bike is fantastic. It is what the ST should have become. Reliable, fun.
Again? Sold it as I'd just lost interest in riding. Considered keeping it anyway as it was such a good bike, but decided I could get another RTW in the future when/if I resume street riding.

Biggest negative of the RT for me was the twin boxer and clunky transmission--as the BMW faithful iterate, "character of the beast". Honda spoils you with the ST's V4 and smooth transmission.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Mine is a combined report, my 15 min ride then the owner’s opinion.
Excellent wind and wind noise management.
All the way to 100mph
It took a lot of modification to get my ST1300 to this point.
Power was incredible, just wouldn’t imagine a twin doing this.
Pretty sure that seat would be all day comfortable for me.
It was cold, the heated grips kept my feet warm.
Although I didn’t have time to adjust to the bike it was clear to me that it is quite a bit lighter and could be more comfortable to handle on the road after a few rides.
The ride quality was very good.
It was immediately easier to handle turning around in the grass and gravel.
I prefer the turbine like sound and smoothness of the ST.
The RT twin pulse could be a pleasant background soundtrack.
The RT is out of my league financially.
I am not left wanting by any means.
I did come away from the ride feeling relieved that in ten years, if the RT is reliable, and there is a problem keeping up STs, there will be a bike worthy of replacing the ST. I don’t see that happening, but just in case....
The owner of the bike has been buying bikes every couple years for the last 24 years that I’ve known him. Notably, ST1300, RT this and that, K1600GT, GS. This is the keeper for him.
One complaint has been the need to reset the suspension, I think, after an error code. Easily a bummer for him. He despises glitches. He doubts it will be as reliable as Honda based on the previous BMWs, however, the bike is so right for him that it doesn’t matter to him.
I’ll re-state that, he feels so right on the bike that other issues are worth it.
2018 R1250RT, 5000 miles.

TPadden

Tom Padden
2016, 55,000 miles, only change oil and tires, one valve check at 35,000 miles $300. No other trips to dealer, or maintenance. Currently on road trip. Fla - Cal on it. Would/ will buy another RT.

Tom

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My RT didn't last 6 K miles before engine's computer trashed it , predetonation & then piston slapping , among several other defects , 3 year warranty meant NOTHING to BMW as far as actually honoring it , will NEVER buy anything BMW again

TPadden

Tom Padden
My RT didn't last 6 K miles before engine's computer trashed it , predetonation & then piston slapping , among several other defects , 3 year warranty meant NOTHING to BMW as far as actually honoring it , will NEVER buy anything BMW again
Just not believing that one bit. :shrug1:
You run off with the service manager’s wife, kill his dog; or just run it on diesel? There has to be more to that story!

Tom

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Just not believing that one bit. :shrug1:
You run off with the service manager’s wife, kill his dog; or just run it on diesel? There has to be more to that story!

Tom
There IS more to that story , after finally getting fed up , after 2 1/2 years of getting stonewalled by BMW & their crappy local Grand Rapids stealer , I took them to Federal Court under the Magnuson-Moss Lemon Law , ( Michigan has no lemon laws for MCs ) Armed with 4 of the stealer's service documents on the same problem(s) , BMW tried to lie to the court about me which the dates on their own service papers proved to the court THEY were lying ( perjury ! ) ; I won the cost of a new engine & ECM computer & lawyers's fees , I sold off the RT , "as-is" on ebay , because , again , the local stealer could not be trusted to rebuild this new RT after all I had been through with him . I ended up almost coming out even , money wise , but still went through 2 1/2 years of stress with them . Which is why I will NEVER recommend BMW to anyone ! If people don't like that , tough ! , they didn't go through the 2 1/2 years of hell I went through ! --- I hate to see others get screwed like I did by BMW !

Last edited:
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Oh....I almost forgot, the seat heater is definitely too hot! I put it on 1 and have to shut it off within a few minutes. The hand warmers are awesome!! Would definitely buy another RT !

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I loved my 2016. I put over 27K miles on it, but I would not own another BMW without factory extended warranty. I only had one fairly major warranty issue with my bike, the radio amp had the left speaker amp go out, which they replaced - no charge to me, $1700+ charge to BMW! If I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought it new AND Honda had not come out with the amazing Goldwing Tour DCT, I would probably still have my RT. But I didn't and Honda did - so here I am with a 2018 GW with 8 years unlimited miles warranty and I have over 18K miles in 9 months.
The service costs are a little less with the GW than the RT, but not substantially. I thought the 6K or 12Kmile valve adjust requirement for the BMW was a bit costly. The GW has a 24Kmile valve inspection interval. The other thing that bugged me was that they had to clear the service warning on the dash ever 6K miles or you had to buy a E-tool to clear it yourself. No such issue with Honda.
The RT was a good bike but I am happier with the GW.

Bike
04 ST1300
There IS more to that story , after finally getting fed up , after 2 1/2 years of getting stonewalled by BMW & their crappy local Grand Rapids stealer , I took them to Federal Court under the Magnuson-Moss Lemon Law , ( Michigan has no lemon laws for MCs ) Armed with 4 of the stealer's service documents on the same problem(s) , BMW tried to lie to the court about me which the dates on their own service papers proved to the court THEY were lying ( perjury ! ) ; I won the cost of a new engine & ECM computer & lawyers's fees , I sold off the RT , "as-is" on ebay , because , again , the local stealer could not be trusted to rebuild this new RT after all I had been through with him . I ended up almost coming out even , money wise , but still went through 2 1/2 years of stress with them . Which is why I will NEVER recommend BMW to anyone ! If people don't like that , tough ! , they didn't go through the 2 1/2 years of hell I went through ! --- I hate to see others get screwed like I did by BMW !
know another guy in my area who had a very disappointing experience with bmw dealer and the mc. Their cars are the same way, according to my son.

Bike
04 ST1300
I loved my 2016. I put over 27K miles on it, but I would not own another BMW without factory extended warranty. I only had one fairly major warranty issue with my bike, the radio amp had the left speaker amp go out, which they replaced - no charge to me, $1700+ charge to BMW! If I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought it new AND Honda had not come out with the amazing Goldwing Tour DCT, I would probably still have my RT. But I didn't and Honda did - so here I am with a 2018 GW with 8 years unlimited miles warranty and I have over 18K miles in 9 months.
The service costs are a little less with the GW than the RT, but not substantially. I thought the 6K or 12Kmile valve adjust requirement for the BMW was a bit costly. The GW has a 24Kmile valve inspection interval. The other thing that bugged me was that they had to clear the service warning on the dash ever 6K miles or you had to buy a E-tool to clear it yourself. No such issue with Honda.
The RT was a good bike but I am happier with the GW.
Does the DCT shift gears automatically when in the cruise control mode.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does the DCT shift gears automatically when in the cruise control mode.
I believe that the cruise only works once you have come up to speed and it is no longer shifting, although I have not checked this out. I think that the cruise dis-engages when it shifts.

Bike
04 ST1300
I believe that the cruise only works once you have come up to speed and it is no longer shifting, although I have not checked this out. I think that the cruise dis-engages when it shifts.
I am digressing from the topic of this string. But my question was, what if you start losing speed on a incline in the the CC mode and a lower gear is needed to get the revs up to maintain speed. Will it downshift to get up to speed and then up shift once the speed has been reached again. This is what a car CC does.

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
I am digressing from the topic of this string. But my question was, what if you start losing speed on a incline in the the CC mode and a lower gear is needed to get the revs up to maintain speed. Will it downshift to get up to speed and then up shift once the speed has been reached again. This is what a car CC does.
It will not downshift on its own. No need to downshift, as the torque and hp of the engine will pull it no problem. You still have to manually shift as with any other bike, but it does have shift assist after first gear with no need to use the clutch unless you want to. If on cc, it will disengage if the rider activates the clutch or brake.

Top Bottom