Camelback / Hydration pack question?

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
In preparing for Westoc, I am staring at my new Hydration pack and wondering.....is it ok to freeze the liquid before I ride?

What does everyone do to start out with cold liquid.....does it matter?

<D>

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
as long as you leave a little room for expansion should be ok. then again, you could always fill it up with ice cubes and water (or whatever) prior to leaving.

STOC #
I have a 2l system. I fill it full of ice and then add water. I usually run out of liquid first. One hint for REAL heat, I wet down the insides of the arms on my mesh jacket while riding. IMHO you need to keep hydrated plus keep your body cooler. At 50-80 you would be surprised how refreshing this little trick can be. Not a lot of cool water is required.

Neil S.

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Do you guys run the pack under your jacket or over all your gear?

Today I road in 90F+ weather and wore my full Tourmaster suit as a test. I road with a long sleeve cotton shirt under the tourmaster.

I was hot and wet, but when I was moving, it was like an air conditioner. :)

I should have a cooling, hydration vest for the trip. Looking forward to trying that. I ordered 1 size too big, so I need to swap it ASAP. Already in contact with vendor and should have one Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers!

<D>

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dan, I carry a 2-liter bladder int he right cargo pocekt on my RoadCrafter. Fill it with ice, then water. Easy to add ice at any gas stop, cheaper than buying the bottled water at the desert stations. ;)

If it's really hot out, I also carry 1/2 or 3/4 gallons more in one of the saddle bags. Ya never know.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I was wearing my Camelback over my MeshTex jacket last summer on the way to WeSTOC. A little shoulder irritation by the end of the day, so if you find another spot to stash the bag go for it. Just fill it with ice and then top off with water. Replenish as necessary at petrol stops. And like George I did carry extra water going through the Mojave and Utah - just in case.

I have a Technique cooling vest I got from Newenough's off-road division. I just about got chilled leaving Baker in the middle of a 115 degree afternoon after recharging it's water in the men's room sink. It didn't smell too good by the end of the trip, but I never really felt any problems with the heat either. ;)

- Jim :04biker:

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
as long as you leave a little room for expansion should be ok. then again, you could always fill it up with ice cubes and water (or whatever) prior to leaving.
Water does not expand when it melts.....

Last edited:

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Starting from home I fill mine about 1/2 full of water and then freeze it, fill the remainder just prior to leaving. We motel a lot so every morning I go to the ice machine and fill the bladder with ice, buy a gallon of drinking water at a grocery store to top it off and my partners water bottles also. :biker:

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
Water does not expand when it melts.....
really? thanks, rob. i didn't know that! :) perhaps i read more into his question, but i it took as... could he fill his camelbak and freeze it and not if he should allow the frozen liquid to melt.

@dmulk... i carry a 100oz camebak in the tankbag.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
In preparing for Westoc, I am staring at my new Hydration pack and wondering.....is it ok to freeze the liquid before I ride?

What does everyone do to start out with cold liquid.....does it matter?

<D>
DAMHIKT..:eek:

If you freeze the bladder, be careful not to leave any water in the "suck tube" area. When you flex the frozen tube it will crack right where it connects to the bladder....

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
I carry a 70oz. Camelback for dual sport trips and long ST trips. Do what the others suggested, and fill with ice cubes, and top off with water / Gatorade. I find that Gatorade helps on the fatigue factor. I carry extra powder in a small container with me that lasts the entire trip. I also carry an extra 1/2 gallon of water if the weather is very hot. It works out pretty well.

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I carry a 70oz. Camelback for dual sport trips and long ST trips. Do what the others suggested, and fill with ice cubes, and top off with water / Gatorade. I find that Gatorade helps on the fatigue factor. I carry extra powder in a small container with me that lasts the entire trip. I also carry an extra 1/2 gallon of water if the weather is very hot. It works out pretty well.

Hmmm.... yeah, I am thinking a 50/50 mix of Gatorage and water with Ice cubes.

In my offroad only days, I used this as a Dr. told me that they found in extremely dehydrated people the body would absorb the diluted gatorade faster than straight gatorade or water....

Thanks again for all of the grade suggestions.

I think mine is a 1 or 2 liter pack. I got it at big 5 for 10.00. Couldn't pass that deal up. :)

<D>
PS: I think I could even fit the pack inside my Tourmaster's fanny pack area as George suggested.... I'll have to see.

STOC #
I read somewhere that you could freeze a couple of the small bottled waters and use them as "ice cubes'. On the camelbacks with the larger filler neck, they would fit and stay frozen almost all day. Might be worth a try.

I used a camelback daily on my last big trip. I stored it on top of my gear that was on the back seat and secured it with a bungee net. As far as the bite tube, I attached a retractable key chain to the camelback and tied the end of the chain to the end of the sip tube. Any time I needed a drink, the bite valve was easy to find and when finished, it retracted back out of my way. (I saw Number 9 had one set up this way when we rode together.)

In the pic, my Camelback is silver on the outside with a yellow interior. The retractable key chain is a black round disk (I picked it up at the automotive section of Wal-Mart).

YMMV
Sparky

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've been using a Camelback, Mule Model for years for my bicycling - trail and road riding. This is what works best for me -

I fill the 2 liter bladder 1/2 full with diluted Gatoraid or Cytomax and freeze it. I try to position the bladder in the freezer upright so the ice is as thick as possible. This will keep the drink cold until it's all gone and have enough ice for another refill. I've never had a problem with liquid in the drinking tube causing a crack but I do avoid leaving liquid in the tube because it will delay you drinking from it until it thaws.

When I'm ready to fill the frozen bladder I first put it in a sink with water to thaw it out enough to get the big cap off and allow the ice to reposition itself in the bladder and fill out any folds or kinks in the bladder material.

A side benefit of freezing is it keeps down the mold. Just leave your hydration pack laying around for a couple of days and you'll see what happens. Even if you clean it well after use it can grow mold from just hanging to dry.

If you plan on refilling the bladder throughout the day carry small ziplock baggies filled with a pre-measured amount of your favorite powdered drink mix.

You may also consider using the energy gels that cyclists use. They provide compact energy, some come with added caffiene.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I use the 2 liter size. The new replacement bladder has a HUGE filler opening which I like.

Water or Gatorade, especially cold, will be absorbed by the body fastest. The big filler takes large ice cubes and chunks very nicely. The insulated backpack has never let me down.

I resist the idea of 'blue ice' or other chemical blocks from this standpoint:

Why not just use regular ice? Once it melts, you can drink it. When the blue ice melts, you can't, plus you are carrying around extra weight. On my bicycle, this is more important than on my motorcycle.

I used my camelback hiking up to Half Dome in Yosemite NP. I also carried two large bicycle type water bottles. Once the bladder emptied, I dumped the two water bottle into it. It lasted the entire trip 7.5 hours, and I ran out of water about 1/2 mile from the bottom.

gonzo

STOC #
I use one for teaching the MSF courses and I fill mine with ice cubes, then 1/2 full of water. Freeze it over night or more and then when I use it fill the rest of the way with water or whatever. Lasts all day in the sun.
RideCoach

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
We have used ours for a year and a half with no mold issues. We hang dry ours and the only time it goes in the fridge or freezer is immediately prior to a trip. Sometimes we forgot to prep them before we leave so many times they don't see the freezer.

Once you run a sugar drink through the bladder, you're going to have to clean all of it out and properly dried before storage or you will have mold issues. Something we never wanted to deal with so we just drink water.

Plain water is the fastest way to hydrate your body as well.
After you have lost a lot of fluids throughout the day you've also lost potassium and other minerals and need to replace this and replenish your body's electrolytes or your body will not handle the water you drink and your muscles will not function well. Your brain may not work so well either.
Just talk to some serious bicyclists they'll tell you how dead their body gets without something added to the water.

Mold - I use several kinds of sports drinks in my Camelback. Some invite mold faster than others. I used to take great care in cleaning and drying and even used the plastic thing that keeps it open to dry better. The mold only came in the tube and just inside the mouthpiece. It's hard to see the mold growing if you have a color-tinted tube. To really clean it each time you need one of those long thin tube-brushes.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
really? thanks, rob. i didn't know that! :) perhaps i read more into his question, but i it took as... could he fill his camelbak and freeze it and not if he should allow the frozen liquid to melt.

@dmulk... i carry a 100oz camebak in the tankbag.

Crap, I had a photo to put there making it funny......but alas....can't find it. ;)

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Mold - I use several kinds of sports drinks in my Camelback. Some invite mold faster than others. I used to take great care in cleaning and drying and even used the plastic thing that keeps it open to dry better. The mold only came in the tube and just inside the mouthpiece. It's hard to see the mold growing if you have a color-tinted tube. To really clean it each time you need one of those long thin tube-brushes.
We put our camelbacks in the freezer (camelbacks empty) after we get done using them. Never seen any signs of mold at all

Top Bottom