Camping Shelter Question

STOC #
I've always carried an army issue poncho & paracord. 1644425050199.png This is an extreme example of how to attach two or more for a shelter using 550 cord. I've used the bike as one anchored point. Google army poncho tent for other ideas. Army ponchos have metal grommets on the corners and tough snap attachment points along the sides. A civilian poncho cannot be utilized the same way. Makes a great ground cloth too. HTH

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
My family are tent camping fools. We do weeks in large tents or do summer trips on bikes and two man. Having tried most all, I can recommend one thing, and that is to purchase a Big Agnes product. Their customer service and communication beats all and everyone. They will answer a Facebook message within moments. The rare times I have had an issue, I was texting with someone immediately.

In absolute opposition to that, I purchased an $800 car tent from Marmot a Christmas ago. It leaked on the 1st day. It took a while to talk to anyone, and they told me it would 6 to 8 weeks to look at it. We had a Spring Break trip planned, and it wouldn't work. I went back to my bombproof BA Flying Diamond and never looked back,

If all customer service was like Big Agnes, the world would be better off. It's all I carry in cars, on back, or on bike.

Big Agnes Tents

Last edited:
I have a great tent (Timberline 4 person XT) but there is always the issue of when it is raining it would be nice to be able to stand up, etc.
I've been looking at all sorts of 'shelters' but most of them are pretty bulky and not suitable for packing on a bike.
I plan on camping in Newfoundland (RockSToc) assuming I am able and was just noodling on this.
A nice tarp (maybe 10X10) with some collapsible poles might be the answer.
But just wondering if anyone else has come up with a good solution (besides another tent).
One factor is there would be no guarantee of trees or anchors to secure the ropes so it would need to be 'free standing'.
And there is always plenty of wind blowing in Newfoundland so how do you secure it so it doesn't blow away at the first big wind?
Hey buddy, I live in NL, when are you planning your trip to include NL? May be able to meet up.

I have a great tent (Timberline 4 person XT) but there is always the issue of when it is raining it would be nice to be able to stand up, etc.
I've been looking at all sorts of 'shelters' but most of them are pretty bulky and not suitable for packing on a bike.
I plan on camping in Newfoundland (RockSToc) assuming I am able and was just noodling on this.
A nice tarp (maybe 10X10) with some collapsible poles might be the answer.
But just wondering if anyone else has come up with a good solution (besides another tent).
One factor is there would be no guarantee of trees or anchors to secure the ropes so it would need to be 'free standing'.
And there is always plenty of wind blowing in Newfoundland so how do you secure it so it doesn't blow away at the first big wind?
Is there a SToc in NL?

I use a 10'x10' tarp but I have the tent trailer to anchor one end. You are welcome to take shelter there while in Newfoundland.
I have set it up once by itself. 2 centre poles at about 7' 6" , 2 front poles at 6' and the other side with long guy lines which made tht side about 4' off the ground. Worked good at shedding water but was moderately good in the wind. Most of the NL campsites have a few trees that you can run a line to.
Note: the pole were 2 parts so the longer pole was 4'. Probably longer than you want to deal with. I did modify a couple of poles a few years ago to make them 4 sections and total height of 6' 6" if I remember correctly. They worked when I only had the bike. I'll have to look for them. I did count on trees with that system to get some height.Green Point 2021 2.jpg
Hey there , just picked up a 1300 and eager for spring and summer to get out and get going on this ride. 2007 ST1300 with 81 000kms. Hanging forks serviced at the moment so she’s ready for the start of season . Just wanted to say hi.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I took a ride up to NH (3 hrs) a couple weeks back to pick up a 12' Kelty Noah tarp with poles. Found it on marketplace for $80, only used a couple times. Figured it was a good thing to have with my future camping plans.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
@Uncle Phil that tarp will come in handy when camping on the “Rock”. Using your bike as an anchor point.
Something I will probably resort to when there aren’t any trees available for my hammock. ;)0D3D1EEC-3AD6-45FD-845C-193B520278AB.jpeg

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
@Uncle Phil that tarp will come in handy when camping on the “Rock”. Using your bike as an anchor point.
Something I will probably resort to when there aren’t any trees available for my hammock. ;)0D3D1EEC-3AD6-45FD-845C-193B520278AB.jpeg
That set up on the left is my go to for stealth camping, in the woods, in a park, behind a gas station. I carry two different tarps, a ground sheet and some collapsable poles 1 tarp is a rainfly from a REI tent, 1 is a 10x10 or 12x12 (can't remember), depending on conditions and the tired factor. I love Moto camping. Just ordered the Big Agnes Blacktail 2 person hotel, looking forward to the first trip...

TPadden

Tom Padden
That set up on the left is my go to for stealth camping, in the woods, in a park, behind a gas station. I carry two different tarps, a ground sheet and some collapsable poles 1 tarp is a rainfly from a REI tent, 1 is a 10x10 or 12x12 (can't remember), depending on conditions and the tired factor. I love Moto camping. Just ordered the Big Agnes Blacktail 2 person hotel, looking forward to the first trip...
Remember you're advising a Grunt about camping equipment! :tent3:

Lock Phil in an empty room with 2 cast iron anvils and in 10 minutes he'll have lost one and broken the other...

Semper Fi

Last edited:
Top Bottom