Camshaft index marks (ST1100)

Bike
2001 ST1100
I posted under the last thread re timing belt age, but I think this deserves a new thread. I am reading the camshaft index marks on the new to me 01 ST1100 with 77K. I changed the belt with a Gates. When verifying timing after install I noticed the index marks on camshafts for cyl 2+4 do not synch up as they should. The index punchmarks dont reveal near as much accuracy of cam position as the index lines. At T4, cyl2 at TDC the index lines face out and the exhaust is pretty well lined up with the the cyl head, but the intake is not. My left driven gear is lined up to the timing mark and I even put the timing cover back on to verify that I am on T4. This isnt something I caused because I have not pulled cams (yet....valve adjustment is next). I was initially thinking it was the exhaust cam that is off a tooth as it was likely pulled in a previous valve adjust, but it appears the exhaust cam is dead on. Cyl 1&3 are good. I think I have to pull that intake cam and give this a try. I am doing the valve adjustment next anyway, but my intakes are all in spec so I had no plans to pull it. I only rode the bike 30 miles and it rode fine. Advice?

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I don't remember which mark, but after my TB change with Gates one of my index marks was off a tiny bit. Gates belt was exact same size and tooth as OEM. 20K miles with no problemo.

OP
OP
Bike
2001 ST1100
I pulled the intake cam out last night and rotated it one tooth and tightened it back down. Presto, cams are in time again. I noticed this when I did my 93 that if you dont check the timing after reinstalling the cam, you can easily be off a tooth. Supposedly only Honda dealer worked on this bike before. Who knows. It ran fine regardless.

Top Bottom