Can anyone date these batteries?

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I know the new one (on the right) I just bought and installed. I was more interested in getting the age of the older one with the Honda emblem on it.

Attachments

• Yuasa Cropped.jpg
    Yuasa Cropped.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Top of Yuasa cropped.jpg
    Top of Yuasa cropped.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yuasa stamps a date code on their batteries, usually two letters and four digits. They're kind of protective of what the scheme is, but they'll tell you the date from the code if you ask.

--Mark

Yuasa got back to me quite quickly. Cut from their reply was this "The "MV" represents October
2008 and the "RS" represents May 2013."

Thanks to Blrfl for the suggestion to ask them. Guess we'll see how long this one lasts.

Now, just to stir things up "what kind of charger should I get for maintenance?" I have a large one that has an AGM setting, but based on the battery it seems they recommend a 1.1 AMP.

Take Care.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, they're not my type.. :rofl1: .. someone had to say it.

Now, just to stir things up "what kind of charger should I get for maintenance?" I have a large one that has an AGM setting, but based on the battery it seems they recommend a 1.1 AMP.

10% of capacity is a good rule of thumb.

--Mark

Yuasa got back to me quite quickly. Cut from their reply was this "The "MV" represents October
2008 and the "RS" represents May 2013."

Thanks to Blrfl for the suggestion to ask them. Guess we'll see how long this one lasts.

Take Care.

I have the older version of this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM1-5-Maintainer-1.5-Amp/15140193

Comes with a quick hookup and is less than $15.00!

BMW MOA published a study of chargers/maintainers and these came out on top. I have been very happy with mine.

Last edited:
I tried dating a battery once but it gave me acid....

Sorry.....

Most motorcycle batteries should be charged at no more than 1 amp..... overnight is usually sufficient, 12 hours or so....

Larger inputs can do damage, by large I mean don't use a car type charger.....

My car charger, for example, will provide sufficient current to actually start a car with a dead battery..... and can provide serious charging current that would cook a bike battery in short order.

Many car charger can supply 25 amps, this would be detrimental to the health of a bike battery.

I use an Optimate style charger which has always proved to do a good job, when I first got it it kept an ailing battery going for a few months extra.... but once a battery gets a cell that goes into reversal, it is done.....

I tried dating a battery once but it gave me acid....
LOL! :lol:

Most motorcycle batteries should be charged at no more than 1 amp....
The imprint on the Yuasa YTX14-BS (genuine for the 1100) informs that it can be charged with up to 5A, but +1 on the gentle-charge by an Optimate, as it will help extend the battery life...

Well I must say I'm done dating batteries for now because I now have my Optimate. :rimshot1: The Honda version no less. Thanks for all the ideas and replies.

Back
Top Bottom