Canadian style pilot screw - special tool ?

Bike
ST1100AY
I have the "canadian" style pilot screw, a flat blade screwdriver will fit , was wondering if I should still get a special tool ?

I am thinking that it is going to be incredibly difficult to get a straight screwdriver aligned with al 4 of the pilot screws once the carbs are installed

IMG_0305.PNG

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
I'm thinking that you possibly have a total NON-emission bike? Does your bike have the PAIR system and/or the evaporative emissions (charcoal canister)? What size jets do you have for the pilot and main? Was there a washer under the needle?

The mixture screws need to be removed, and fully clean out the slow speed/pilot circuit. Be very careful removing these. Most of the times, the little o-ring and washer get stuck inside the body of the carb. Easy to loose them. While cleaning out, verify and be absolutely certain that all the passages are clear!

This topic pops up every once in a while. As far as I know, the "phillips" style Honda mixture screw tool is no longer available. As soon as we know what you have for emissions, jet sizes and the primary geographical location you ride in, we can determine how to set up your carbs.

Adam

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I'm thinking that you possibly have a total NON-emission bike? Does your bike have the PAIR system and/or the evaporative emissions (charcoal canister)? What size jets do you have for the pilot and main? Was there a washer under the needle?

Adam
No PAIR system , No charcoal canister
125 & 40
no washer under the needle and "canada style' needle holder

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Ok... It appears your in Dubai? Desert heat? If this is the case, set the idle mixture screws to 1-7/8 turns out from lightly seated. This will get you really close to were you need to be.

Please send along some pictures of the needle holder by itself. All sides. Also installed down in the slider. I'd also like to see some pic's of the slider hole next to the needle when the needle is installed. Either post here, send me a PM, or send me and email: afrymoyer "at" TWC "dot" com :) Thanks!

That tool won't fit down into the belly of the beast. It's been discussed quite a few times...

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Is this the screw that needs to be adjusted to do a throttle body synchronization?
Nope; that is pilot circuit adjuster screw on the 1100 carburetor. The carbs are balanced using screws that bear on the connections between the throttle butterflies, and can be accessed easily with the airbox in place, unlike the 1300 starter valves...

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
That tool won't fit down into the belly of the beast. It's been discussed quite a few times...
What tool would you suggest ? Or should I change the adjustment screws to the US "D-type" and get the Honda tool ?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I’ve looked all through my archives and can’t find the Honda part number for the Canadian cross-tip special tool for the pilot screw to do the idle drop procedure or high altitude adjustment. Anybody...?

What I would do is grind a JIS cross-tip bit to fit in the end of the USA “D” shaped tip.

I bought one of the USA version tools many years ago but sold it because I didn’t use it as my ST1100 runs great, and it takes a very expensive meter to accurately measure the 50 rpm change. IOW, not worth the time, effort and $$ for me. FWIW

John

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: USA “D”-style tip pilot screw special tool -

David Silver Spares will sell you one (07MMA-MT3-010B) for $214:

Couldn’t find another online parts place that would recognize the Honda part number. FWIW YMMV

EDIT: sheesh, back in October of 2001 the pilot screw wrench only cost $39.39.

John

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is this what you're thinking about?
Won't fit... BTDT...
A loooong screwdriver, a pen-flashlight, patience and some rubber-necking... ;)
(and just remembered why I had removed that friggen insulation mat under the carbs in the first place ... :biggrin:)

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Please send along some pictures of the needle hIMG_0345.JPGIMG_0344.JPGolder by itself. All sides. Also installed down in the slider. I'd also like to see some pic's of the slider hole next to the needle when the needle is installed.
IMG_0346.JPG

migresch

"Carpe diem"
Bike
'04 ST-1300A
Nope; that is pilot circuit adjuster screw on the 1100 carburetor. The carbs are balanced using screws that bear on the connections between the throttle butterflies, and can be accessed easily with the airbox in place, unlike the 1300 starter valves...
OK. Thanks.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
David Silver Spares will sell you one (07MMA-MT3-010B) for $214:
Oh boy... just to confuse things, this part number
07KMA-MS60102 / WRENCH,PILOT SCRE *D
just came up in the “idle mixture” thread (link) and is apparently a USA version (note the “*D” in the noun-nomenclature), for $86:
Same number as the alternate PN listed in the Service Manual except for the last digit (“2” vs “1”). :shrug1::shrug2::nuts:

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I’ve looked all through my archives and can’t find the Honda part number for the Canadian cross-tip special tool for the pilot screw to do the idle drop procedure or high altitude adjustment. Anybody...?

What I would do is grind a JIS cross-tip bit to fit in the end of the USA “D” shaped tip.

John
Thankyou for this tip, it seems the most logical way to proceed and allows me to adjust either D type or Cross head

Top Bottom