Carbs removal

Hi, after trying to start my ST, I'm thinking it's a blocked jets problem.
It cranks but only runs ( sort off) on full choke. I'm down to trying to release, can see 1 bolt at number 4 carb but can't see the remainder, let alone access them!
Ant ideas pls, or am I missing something?
Thanks.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Welcome!

It does sound like clogged jets.

The screws are well hidden. A long screwdriver or socket on extension/s and a bright 'torch' are your friends.
You of course need to strip off the plastic to get to them. The front right (sitting on the bike) is the one that always gave me trouble.

And I suspect you are *not* missing anything!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard! Don't forget to use a JIS screw driver on any screw with a 'Philips' type head. Using a Philips screw driver on tight screws will result in a cam-out and ruining the screw head.

OP
OP
Welcome!

It does sound like clogged jets.

The screws are well hidden. A long screwdriver or socket on extension/s and a bright 'torch' are your friends.
You of course need to strip off the plastic to get to them. The front right (sitting on the bike) is the one that always gave me trouble.

And I suspect you are *not* missing anything!
Many thanks . Yes all plastic off and you are right, it's the front o/s that I'm looking for. The bikes on the ramp and I've started work from the off side.
Let's see what today brings !!

OP
OP
Welcome aboard! Don't forget to use a JIS screw driver on any screw with a 'Philips' type head. Using a Philips screw driver on tight screws will result in a cam-out and ruining the screw head.
Good advice - no one likes a rounded head ! thankyou.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thankyou - with 2 x1100s and 2x 1300s I think I could be a regular visitor!
Welcome to the forum.

With that many STs, you should stay pretty busy working on them! I know I do! :chairfall1:

Uh oh... @SupraSabre and @Uncle Phil competition is looming on the horizon. Phil has 4 x 1100 and Bob, 4 or 5 x 1300 (I've lost count). You are clearly diversifying.

LOL

I only have the two ST1300s (2012 & 2010) running right now. The third is on (has been for a couple of years) the lift (2004 re-restore project)

I do however have John's old 2006 with 190+K miles (that tangled with an antelope ) along with a 2006 rolling frame and a engine sitting off to the side..if those count...and BTW, I did give that 2005 that I picked up last fall, to one of my sons, the one in Montana.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uh oh... @SupraSabre and @Uncle Phil competition is looming on the horizon. Phil has 4 x 1100 and Bob, 4 or 5 x 1300 (I've lost count). You are clearly diversifying.
Sorry chaps, I've got to top you - forgot to mention the 2x R80s , the 2x RT 1200s, Honda Melody ( apologies but it's a low mileage ) and Yamaha 250 custom. .

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
The last time that I had my carbs off I replaced the intake boots/holders and used socket-head screws instead of the OEM cross-tips.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sorry chaps, I've got to top you - forgot to mention the 2x R80s , the 2x RT 1200s, Honda Melody ( apologies but it's a low mileage ) and Yamaha 250 custom. .
Ahhhh, grasshopper, but those are BMW's. This is an ST website and most (or many) of us have more than one bike. If you want to corner the onion market, owning rutabaga fields does not count.

OP
OP
Ahhhh, grasshopper, but those are BMW's. This is an ST website and most (or many) of us have more than one bike. If you want to corner the onion market, owning rutabaga fields does not count.
Fair comment - in my defence, they are owned out of necessity - not preference!!

OP
OP
Hi everyone, carbs are pretty much stripped down and cleaned, - need to get some specific JIS driver's to loosen the plenum/top end, they are so so tight. However, I've found a tiny washer type component on the bench. I can't identify where it's from ?
Any ideas? Its metal, looks concave, and OD of a quarter inch.
The last bits I took out were the mixture screws.
Help!.

Attachments

Top Bottom