CBR1100XX -> SST1100XX

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Nice.
I had a 3-bag Givi setup on mine, but with the Wingrack2. That one blended with the styling, and it still looked sharp in my view, with the bags removed. I don't recall the capacity of the trunk or sidebags, but I think it was 42l each side and maybe 46l trunk.
I had the older clamshell cases, but looks like yours are the newer, smaller top-loading one.
The XX makes for a smooth, slick sport tourer, and I rarely swapped out the stock saddle for my Corbin because I didn't want the leather to get wet in rain, or to fade in the sun. I did my first SS1K on the stocker, no problem.
The Corbin was equally comfortable under my bun.
To answer @Erdoc48 , i found the riding posture ideal. With the stock screen, the wind hit me on the shoulders, and kept pressure off my wrists. It's a slight more forward lean than the ST1300, and I kept the stock bars too. It's not a repli-racer position at all.
At 6-feet-nothing, 150lbs in my birthday suit, the bike's ergos were perfect for me. (But i never rode it in my birthday suit.)
All I ever added was a Throttlemeister, the Givi setup, and a low profile digital voltmeter. Oh, and small under-mirror driving lights.
Still love the factory look of this bike, including screen, bars, mufflers and exhaust.
In black (it's the BLACKbird, Fer Pete's sake!), I still think it's about the best-looking and sweetest bike Mother Honda ever made in my lifetime.
Ok, I'm done gushing now.
I need to find a towel...

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
I had one back in the day. Really cool bike that could carry me a lot faster than I had right to go. :biggrin:

1683138681071.jpeg
Heck, my ST1300 does that for me. I mean, I've had it up over 120 Mph, on a semi straight road, and there was still some wrist left. Plenty fast for me.
I found the CBR riding position uncomfortable, but then, I've had my neck fused, and that may have something to do with that. Artistically, they are a real piece of art...

OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
@Winged_STer
I had a 97 from summer of 2016-September 2019. After riding it a couple thousand miles, I only rode 169 miles in 2019. Couldn’t justify having it for that kind of miles and sold it.
Missed having the option to ride it, and missed the garage decor. And the sound, and the occasional acceleration.
In August 2020 I did a recon ride to Norfolk Virginia. Lots of secondary twisty mountain roads on the ST.
The bike was good. Went back in the Camry and towed it home.
It had a warped right rotor and a warped right brake caliper. Hence the galfer rotors and an ST1300 right caliper installed from the @the Ferret ’s late Starship. That bike is appropriately spread across the universe. At least seven dozen bikes.
I dove in this time. Delinked braided lines, DMR cartridges, Penske shock, 847 R\R, the case racks, had the bags, and topped it off yesterday with a relayed Garmin 595 mount and heated grips.
If I ride it 500 miles this I am :biggrin:
A thousand would be nicer especially if I get 12,000 on the STs.
Do I have @Sadlsor shopping yet?

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I can't get away just yet for 10 days.
The purchase includes 3 or 4 classes, and I'm working a route to see a few of us on the ride home... SHHHHH! Don't tell anyone, or they'll all leave before I can drop in on 'em.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have an as yet unridden by me 2022 GS/A waiting for me to pick up on the Left Coast
You will not be disappointed with that choice sir. I went to the BMW dealership to service my K1600 and did a test ride. Honestly, I really didn't think I would like the boxer engine, but who turns down a free test ride? It turned out that it was an expensive day. I rode both bikes for a year and ended up selling my K1600. I predict you will smile most of the way home.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I can relate! I have gone on a few jaunts and if riding solo it will be a coin flip between it and the 2015 Goldwing. 7500 miles in 21 days and 4900 in 9 days. A 300 mile day just out for a look see is common for me and I am 6'3" 270#. Just have Helibar risers and a custom seat for ergonomics.

Attachments

Top Bottom