Cell phone mount

New to the motorcylce community and looking for recommendations. Bought an 05 St1300 a few weeks ago and looking for a nice mount to put my phone on the bike for GPS and music.

The bike has stock bars on it and I'd need a mount that can support a large phone. I have a Galaxy Note 8 with an otter box so it's pretty bulky.

Let me know what you guys have and what you think! Pictures are great too

Bike
2005 st1300
I have a note 3 with an otterbox and I removed the belt clip from the holster and mounted a RAM ball to the back of the holster and added a RAM ball to my bar riser. The phone will not fall out, it is in there very secure. I just dont know what options you have with the stock bars. Is the center piece plastic or aluminum? if it is aluminum, you could drill and tap for a RAM ball.

OP
OP
Skinnypuff
I havnt taken the plastic cover off but I'm sure its aluminum. I've thought about drilling and tapping the center piece but was curious if theres anything out there that was a little less involved and not so permanent.
If that's what it comes down to I'll have to do it.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
New to the motorcylce community and looking for recommendations. Bought an 05 St1300 a few weeks ago and looking for a nice mount to put my phone on the bike for GPS and music.

The bike has stock bars on it and I'd need a mount that can support a large phone. I have a Galaxy Note 8 with an otter box so it's pretty bulky.

Welcome to the forum.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Welcome and congrats on the bike. Ram ball mount the way to go universal for many device holders.

Sent by Tapatalk

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
just go this for my truck.. but it would be perfect to the bike as well

OP
OP
Skinnypuff
Seems like the ram mounts are the way to go, for more than one reason. Does anyone know where I could order a new head piece for the center of the bars? I'd rather not mount to the actual handlebars I'd rather have the mount in the center of the bars.

I took the plastic cover off just now to find that there isnt anything to drill and tap into without leaving a very ugly "unfinished" look behind. If I could order a new head piece that's already got the ram mount or at least drilled and tapped that would be great. I took some pictures so you guys know what I'm talking about 237003237004

OP
OP
Skinnypuff

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a video about the RAM fork stem mount. Apparently the video instructions need a slight modification. The comments address this FYI.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Seems like the ram mounts are the way to go, for more than one reason. Does anyone know where I could order a new head piece for the center of the bars? I'd rather not mount to the actual handlebars I'd rather have the mount in the center of the bars.

I took the plastic cover off just now to find that there isnt anything to drill and tap into without leaving a very ugly "unfinished" look behind. If I could order a new head piece that's already got the ram mount or at least drilled and tapped that would be great. I took some pictures so you guys know what I'm talking about
MCL (out of business) and Powerlet both made replacement covers designed to accept RAM balls and 12V plugs.
The below picture with only the Ram ball is the MCL version. It was available with a 12V plug as well.
The picture with the Ram ball and 12V plug is the Powelet version.

There happens to be an MCL cover plate for sale on this forum right now- see here. It is threaded for the Ram ball. The ad does not say if it also has the 12V plug or not.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have a Note 9 in an Otterbox Commuter case. When I put my phone in my Ram X mount I don't have an issue. One note about the Note. I have never lost it but I don't trust the stylus in the phone while on the bike. So I take it out and put it in my bag or pocket. I have a dash shelf on my 1300 so it is mounted up there along with a couple Garmin GPSs but I have used it on bar mounts on my 1100s as well. One thing about the X Mount. I have never had an issue but I don't trust a $1000 phone up there just in the X Mount so I spent a few bucks more for the one that has the rubber holder that you stretch over the corners of the phone for a bit more security. The lower mount between the bars also works well. I have a Garmin there already as well. The one complaint is it makes it harder to get to the key to take it in and out.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I'm using a HeliBars riser, that has a ram mount attached, that the PO had installed. To mount the phone, I used this double-socket arm, which connects to this base. On the base, I attached this phone holder. The holes on the base lined up perfectly with the holder. The system seems pretty rock-solid and nothing moves. I also put the rubber holder from my X-mount, but I almost never use it. My Note 8 has a case around it and I can really clamp down on it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
MCL (out of business) and Powerlet both made replacement covers designed to accept RAM balls and 12V plugs.
The below picture with only the Ram ball is the MCL version. It was available with a 12V plug as well.
The picture with the Ram ball and 12V plug is the Powelet version.

There happens to be an MCL cover plate for sale on this forum right now- see here. It is threaded for the Ram ball. The ad does not say if it also has the 12V plug or not.

Some of these covers (I don't know if MCL's version was made this way) have a 45deg chamfer machined into the back (rounded) end at the apex of the curve. They then drilled and tapped this flat surface for the ram ball. If your cover looks like the picture, pull the ram ball and with the cover in place look down through the hole. Some of these have the threaded hole centered over the axis of the steering tube. (This results in the GPS not moving eccentrically when the handlebars are turned.) If the hole is centered, you can then use it as a pilot hole to drill out or file the hole larger to accomodate a powerlet outlet. You then bring the wiring up the steering tube and plug it in to the outlet.

OP
OP
Skinnypuff
So I've ordered everything I need. Got the replacement cover with the ram mount installed, and ordered the extension and phone mount.

Thanks to all you guys for the references and pointing me in the right direction.

Bike
st1300
i had one of these ground down a bit and hammered into the centre tube 238809

then a piece of block nylon made as a spacer . the honda badge picked out of the centre and a hole drilled.
then the ram ball 238810 tightened down through the cover, the nylon and into the rubber vibration mount.

it took 3-4 goes to get it in the sweet spot, but was fine for the 2 years i used it like that.

i just made another farkle to mount it on the dash a few weeks ago. and to fix this, i just removed the ball and glued on the honda badge.

i like to make things.

Bike
ST1300

RAM Mount w/ X grip

Bike
2003 ST1300
So I've ordered everything I need. Got the replacement cover with the ram mount installed, and ordered the extension and phone mount.

Thanks to all you guys for the references and pointing me in the right direction.
@Skinnypuff I'm looking to do exactly the same thing as you. Any chance you can list the amazon links for what you ordered and pics of how it looks?

Looks like maybe just these 2 things?

Ram Mount Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1-Inch Ball (Black): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RHVS8I/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ry6iDbP6APPA9

RAM MOUNTS (RAP-HOL-UN7B-201U Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder with Double Socket Arm: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUK0SZO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_qA6iDbHEVC68A

I'm guessing then something needs to be done with the plastic cover ( with the honda badge on it ) to make this look nice?

Last edited:
Top Bottom