Center Stand removal and shortening

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Good post Ken, I've looked into this and thought about replacing that Pivot Tube with two large Bolts/Nuts for simplicity next time the stand might need removing... the jury is still undecided at the moment. :rolleyes:
Four new exhaust gaskets are on the workbench in readiness as I was thinking of dropping the whole exhaust system down.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Good post Ken, I've looked into this and thought about replacing that Pivot Tube with two large Bolts/Nuts for simplicity next time the stand might need removing... the jury is still undecided at the moment. :rolleyes:
Four new exhaust gaskets are on the workbench in readiness as I was thinking of dropping the whole exhaust system down.
Be nice to those mufflers, not to ding or scratch. I was ordering new muffler clamps the other day and saw that each muffler cost $900. bucks now.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Success !
I was so happy yesterday after installing my center stand at how easily I was able to get my bike on it. I don’t want to exagerate, but I could easily get it on the c-stand with very reasonable foot pressure and lift at the handle.
Before, it wasn’t this easy even when running the front wheel up on a 2” x 6” riser.

Keep in mind, that my lowering of my forks by 3/8” long ago definitely added to the difficulty of my getting it up on the c-stand.
Soon I’ll post a video (of me) putting my bike on the c-stand.

Attachments

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Sorry - But I got another brainstorm.
Just thinking: that if I could do this modification over again, I think this procedure would be easier. If you have access to a welding shop.

Note: Cutting off a 1/2” from each center stand leg would probably be more than enough for most ST’ers (instead of the 5/8” I removed) .
Hope my drawing is adequate.
Welded Pad Option.jpeg
end

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You do realize that now you won’t be able to lower the mufflers and slide the rear axle out to remove and or service your rear wheel.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You do realize that now you won’t be able to lower the mufflers and slide the rear axle out to remove and or service your rear wheel.
You don't have to lower the muffler, you can loosen it and just raise up a little to clear the axle head/washer. I never removed mine when taking the wheels off.

When I put the Delkevics on the bike they had additional clearance so didn't have to mess with any exhaust bolts at all.

Oddly, on ST1100s they have a notch in the exhaust to allow you to remove the axle without messing with the exhaust at all. Hmmm

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I just threw that out there so there would be no surprises if he was trying to follow the service manual etc.
Don’t know why they didn’t follow suit on the 1100 mufflers with the notch, go figure.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just threw that out there so there would be no surprises if he was trying to follow the service manual etc.
Don’t know why they didn’t follow suit on the 1100 mufflers with the notch, go figure.
Prob because the dealer can charge an extra hr for exhaust removal. lol

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
:rofl1:
Our dealer is probably miffed at me this morning because I snatched a clutch slave cylinder job from them that they quoted the guy over $2k, and two weeks, and took him home and swapped it out, bled everything, in just under two hours lol.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Oddly, on ST1100s they have a notch in the exhaust to allow you to remove the axle without messing with the exhaust at all. Hmmm
I had two ST1100's. This was one of the first things that I noticed when I got my ST1300 and thought to myself boy, is that ever stupid.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Thanks Ingofar, I didn't think of that. That would be very important if you had to remove the wheel somewhere out on the road.
I have replaced the tires and balanced them at home where I can use my trusty "Jak-Lift", bought years ago for my Valkyrie.
I do lower the the right hand muffler a bit but don't need to remove the rear fender with the bike lifted so much off the garage floor.
Hyd. Jak-Lift.JPG

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I see the axle issue all the time when folks have their preload adjuster empty or low, and even lowering the muffler to the floor, there is not enough clearance, and pulling the muffler out, risks not being able to slip it back together without damaging the soft muffler gasket etc.
You could take a small bottle jack, and GENTLY lift the pumpkin up just a bit for clearance etc.
But I have a block of rubber machined to fit the bottle jack so it won't damage the aluminum housing etc.
I never tried lifting the mufflers before as Joe pointed out.

Top Bottom