Change is inevitable...

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Good morning, All.

As I age, my 1100's size and weight is becoming more of an issue for me.

Does anyone have any experience with both the ST and the Wee Strom (Suzuki DL650)?

I love the ST, but since I have owned it (2013) I have never taken more than a two hour ride on her, and I mostly use it for my 20-30 minute commute which takes place on 85% rural roads.

The weather protection is great in the winter, but the lack of airflow in the summer heat is also becoming an issue for me as I get older...takes more out of me than it used to!

Rain protection is not a concern, as I don't ride in rain unless I get surprised by it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has owned both.

I think I need to change to something lighter with slightly more upright seating.

Fire at will.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The VStrom 650 is a great light and affordable bike. I'd also look at the Versys 650 as well.
My only issue w/VStrom was it got very thirsty over 70mph and it didn't take much heated gear to use up available wattage... at a stop light in cold weather with heated gloves and jacket the signal light would start to cause the headlight to dim on each blink.. lol.. some have added a harness to turn off one of the 2 headlights to help with that...

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've got an 1100, 1300 and a 2013 WeeStrom in the garage right now.

Great peppy little bike. It hits all the things you like - lighter, more airflow, more upright seating.

It's taller at the saddle than both of my STs. I can sit flat footed on those, but I'm on the balls of my feet on the VStrom and it has lowering links because it was too tall for my son's comfort level at a stop.

I've had a Corbin seat on my 1100 since '93 so a comparison with the stock seat isn't valid, but the WeeStrom's stock seat has me squirming just before the tank runs dry, which is about 220-230mi.

Though it's my son's ride, I was looking for one to add to my stable anyway because too many great roads within a short ride change to gravel or dirt which isn't ideal for the STs. The VStrom is the perfect mount when the pavement ends and doesn't get too technical - think fire or forest service roads.

If you can manage the height increase I think you'll find it a great replacement for your ST based on what you've told us.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
The VStrom 650 is a great light and affordable bike. I'd also look at the Versys 650 as well.
My only issue w/VStrom was it got very thirsty over 70mph and it didn't take much heated gear to use up available wattage... at a stop light in cold weather with heated gloves and jacket the signal light would start to cause the headlight to dim on each blink.. lol.. some have added a harness to turn off one of the 2 headlights to help with that...
Mellow, thanks for the reply! I prefer to ride back roads, so 70+ is the exception for me. Good to know about the electrics; heated grips may well be in my future.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I've got an 1100, 1300 and a 2013 WeeStrom in the garage right now.

Great peppy little bike. It hits all the things you like - lighter, more airflow, more upright seating.

It's taller at the saddle than both of my STs. I can sit flat footed on those, but I'm on the balls of my feet on the VStrom and it has lowering links because it was too tall for my son's comfort level at a stop.

I've had a Corbin seat on my 1100 since '93 so a comparison with the stock seat isn't valid, but the WeeStrom's stock seat has me squirming just before the tank runs dry, which is about 220-230mi.

Though it's my son's ride, I was looking for one to add to my stable anyway because too many great roads within a short ride change to gravel or dirt which isn't ideal for the STs. The VStrom is the perfect mount when the pavement ends and doesn't get too technical - think fire or forest service roads.

If you can manage the height increase I think you'll find it a great replacement for your ST based on what you've told us.
STRider, thanks for the input! At 5'10" and a 30" inseam, the ST is a bit of a stretch to get two feet down at rutted intersections, so I might need some lowering links as well.

I need to find a dealer here in central/eastern OK with one so I can go test ride it.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
STRider, thanks for the input! At 5'10" and a 30" inseam, the ST is a bit of a stretch to get two feet down at rutted intersections, so I might need some lowering links as well.

I need to find a dealer here in central/eastern OK with one so I can go test ride it.
Great! Talk to me should you go that route. I have a set of three position lower links which the prior owner included with the bike, as well as an adjustable sidestand which my son may part with. Lowering the rear suspension can result in the bike being too vertical when on the stock side stand. We put a OEM Suzuki accessory centerstand on the bike and the extra length of the multiposition lowering links interfered with it. My son - the budding mechanical engineer that he is - designed a set of links of the proper length then milled them at our high school shop on their CNC mill. :) No need for the shorter sidestand at the length he preferred either. I suspect the links and the sidestand may fit across a wide range of model years.

PM me at a future date.

1625075716312.png

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
The NT700V would also be worth a look...
Yes, I considered one, and sat on it at my local dealer who had one in stock, as I hate to leave the Honda family, but it was a bit too cramped at the knees for me.

Have you considered the Vulcan S? 650 with 6 gears for pep and economy. A different style bike but that is a ninja motor in it.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I owned a ST1300 for 6 years and have owned a DL650 for about 6 years. It’s my camping bike, since with the factory side bags and 58 liter GIVI top box, I can carry more than any other bike I’ve owned.

I had to lower mine about 1 1/4”, using rear lowering links and raising the fork tubes in the clamps. I cut and welded the side stand, myself.

You might also look at the Suzuki SV650. It’s more street and less adventure.

John

Good morning, All.

As I age, my 1100's size and weight is becoming more of an issue for me.

Does anyone have any experience with both the ST and the Wee Strom (Suzuki DL650)?

I love the ST, but since I have owned it (2013) I have never taken more than a two hour ride on her, and I mostly use it for my 20-30 minute commute which takes place on 85% rural roads.

The weather protection is great in the winter, but the lack of airflow in the summer heat is also becoming an issue for me as I get older...takes more out of me than it used to!

Rain protection is not a concern, as I don't ride in rain unless I get surprised by it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has owned both.

I think I need to change to something lighter with slightly more upright seating.

Fire at will.
Cruiser time.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm riding a DL650, and yes, my ST, which I loved for the ride, handling, and weather protection grew too heavy for me. I ride with oxford heated grips and a 90 watt Warm n Safe jacket and have never noticed any problems with the electrical system. I did swap the headlights for F2 LED's and the little position lights. I also have a Whelen M7 on the back (brake or flasher, depending on a dash switch) that adds about 10 mph if I lightly tap the brakes to turn it on ( :rofl1: ). A voltmeter on my dash shows no problems at all with everything on (and a couple of 2" running lights on the forks).

I've had no issues with the saddle, I lowered the back 7/8" with links and raised the fork tubes 3/4" up front (all I could without raising the bars). I shortened my side stand twice (cut and welded) and also my center stand.

Yes, the bike gets a bit thirsty above 75 mph. I'd urge you to test ride one and see for yourself. You can buy them used for surprisingly little $$, and there are more than a few out there that have low miles and accessories such as panniers.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
While you did not mention the Honda NC750X it’s a bike of the same general class. Though it’s heavier than the Wee or Versys it’s laid-down engine and small under seat fuel tank give a low center of gravity and the feel of bike lighter than the other two. Though the fuel tank is only 3.7 gallons it routinely gets 65-75 miles per gallon in normal riding. At 80-85 mph it’s still returning 50 mpg. I feel comfortable taking mine on hard pack dirt or gravel roads when the pavement ends and sometimes plan rides just for that. Plenty of amps for accessories and heated gear. I’ve had both manual transmission and automatic Dual Clutch versions.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
As dduelin mention I just picked up a 2021 NC 750X DCT after having owned an 06 ST 1300 for 11 years and 110,000 miles followed by a 2018 FJR for 2 1/2 years and 34,000 miles, but age, medical issues and a changing riding need allowed me to go smaller and lighter. At 5'5" I'm much smaller than you but get the balls of both feet down on the Honda reduced seat height for 2021. So far the bike is exceeding my expectations, a pleasure to ride, and averaging 74 mpg.

I also have a Honda CB 1100 ...8 years and 68,000 miles, with an even shorter seat height, and it's just an awesome motorcycle great on backroads due to abundant torque, and capable of solo touring as well.

You couldn't go wrong with an SV, an NC, a CB , a Versys 650 or one of the new Yamaha 700s for that matter

Last edited:
Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
while at the dealer picking up some valve cover gaskets i spotted a used vstrom 650xt so i went over and sat on it. at six feet tall my feet were flat on the ground. i was thinking of getting a vstrom before i purchased my R1200 GSA and i'm still looking at vstroms, wonder if they will let me take it for a test ride

Bike
2008 ST1300
I had a very nice vstrom 650 in the past, now have an ST13. Handling is largely subjective, but I prefer the ST for pretty much anything above walking speed. I agree whole heatedly though, the ST13 gets hot and stuffy in the summer. I experienced terrible wind buffeting on my gen 1 Strom with anything bigger than a small/low shield.

My father has a versys 1000. Very upright ergos, marginally heavier than a weestrom, good quality suspension, hard bags, gobs of power in the lower gears. Really a road only bike, but great at a lot of things. A bit buzzy at certain RPMs, squishy front brake lever feel, but really hard to fault overall. It really hauls the mail if you want it to. I overall think I prefer the feel of my ST13, but the v1000 is better at most measurable things. Might be worth a look. A little pricey, but a lot of features, including abs and tc.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I agree the NC700-750 would be a good option. I test rode a 700 before getting a VStrom. I didn't like how low it reved and the short-shifting... I like something that revs high.. I never got the chance to try the DCT version back then and I think it may have been a winner for me if that were available. Lots of folks love the Honda DCT.

Of course, I have the Tracer now and it's just amazing but in a whole different category than the 650-750 bikes. The triple engine is the best I've ever experienced. But, the cost is more than the Vstrom but for me it's definitely a winner.

Top Bottom