Change is inevitable...

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I agree the NC700-750 would be a good option. I test rode a 700 before getting a VStrom. I didn't like how low it reved and the short-shifting... I like something that revs high.. I never got the chance to try the DCT version back then and I think it may have been a winner for me if that were available. Lots of folks love the Honda DCT.

Of course, I have the Tracer now and it's just amazing but in a whole different category than the 650-750 bikes. The triple engine is the best I've ever experienced. But, the cost is more than the Vstrom but for me it's definitely a winner.
i spoke with a guy that was riding an NC700 a few years ago. he said he wished he had gotten a Vstrom 650 just for the extra HP and the rev-ability it had over the NC

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
The VStrom 650 is a great light and affordable bike. I'd also look at the Versys 650 as well.
My only issue w/VStrom was it got very thirsty over 70mph and it didn't take much heated gear to use up available wattage... at a stop light in cold weather with heated gloves and jacket the signal light would start to cause the headlight to dim on each blink.. lol.. some have added a harness to turn off one of the 2 headlights to help with that...
This was my biggest issue with the VStrom 650, very little watts to spare for heated gear in the winter. Otherwise a very nice handling and peppy motorcycle. I’m giving the NC 750X and CB 500 X a look over when if and when I get rid of my ST as a second run around bike.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Kawasaki KLR. for a seating position you’re practically standing but comfortable.. bullet proof!
I had an 04......they are truly bulletproof! Never changed the brake fluid in 10 years of ownership either.....imagine that? :)

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have had my 2020 dl650 XTA now for 3500 miles and have no real complaints other that the length of the key and how high the panniers are mounted. I just completed a 700 mile trip and with an Air Hawk the seat was fine. I am 5'10" and the feet hit the floor fine. I will say I really don't care if both feet touch as my right foot is on the brake when I stop. I would suggest not to lower this bike it only has 6" of ground clearance and lowering will impede any off pavement usage.

As far as mileage I have averaged 54.76 MPG. This is all types of riding, some dirt two lane pavement highway, etc.best 62.96 worst 45.02 MPG.

The little V twin. has plenty of power FOR MY NEEDS, it handles well and in the grand scheme of things it does everything well and nothing great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom