Suits Classic 'Stich Base Layers

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I was shocked to find a classic aerostitch roadcrafter for sale on Facebook. I was more surprised that it had the tags on it and that it was only $250 and that it was in my size. I have always wanted one.

Now, I'm like the dog that caught the car. I will be riding this weekend in temperatures ranging from probably 55 to 80. What are good base layers to wear under a classic road crafter?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
A long Sleeve cotton Shirt or something that is absorbent/ventilates well if it's warm.
A Fleece Jacket when it gets cool. Add a heated liner and I'm good into the sub zeros.
With the front zipper down a bit and the sleeves unzipped it vents pretty good.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A good base layer for 55 to 80 for me is an Under Armor long sleeve top and a pair of synthetic long leg cargo pants or hiking pants. No cotton, ever, if I can help it, is against my skin. On the lower end of those temps, usually 60 or less, I'll wear a thin fleece or other thin layer over the UA shirt. If you have one, a lightweight neck gaiter helps seal the neck.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Spandex shorts similar to bicycle shorts under lite weight thermal layer for the legs. A wicking layer up top with a heavy weight wool thermal up top. I also carry a fleece or other base layer jacket for when the temps start to drop. I soak the wool thermal if it gets really hot.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Lol, clothing is as personal a choice as oil brands. Experiment on shorter rides - say an hour or three long. Learn what works for you - take something else along in your side cases and change half way through the ride. I think most of us own enough gear that we don't have to go out and buy new stuff all the time.

In cooler weather I usually wear cotton knit shirts, colder temps call for a lightweight fleece jacket over the shirt. Colder and off comes the fleece and on goes the Warm n Safe jacket. Warmer? Cotton short sleeve shirts, that's it. Now, I don't sweat a lot compared to other guys, and this works for me - always has. No need for wicking sports gear or wool or anything else. YMMV

Bike
R1200rt
avoid cotton from eDocAmerica
“Cotton kills”
While this saying is somewhat of an exaggeration, cotton clothing ranks at the bottom of the list of appropriate fabrics for cold weather active wear. With outdoor activity, perspiration is absorbed into cotton layers that are touching or near the skin. As the air pockets in the fabric fill up with water, it ceases to provide insulation. A damp layer of clothing against the skin pulls heat away from the body and can rapidly lower body temperature. Furthermore, wet, cotton clothing takes much longer to dry than comparably weighted synthetic fabrics. Garments labeled as corduroy, denim, flannel, or duck are mostly, or entirely, made from cotton. Clothing made from synthetic fabrics or wool is more appropriate, particularly during physical activity in the cold.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
“Cotton kills”
While this saying is somewhat of an exaggeration, cotton clothing ranks at the bottom of the list of appropriate fabrics for cold weather active wear. With outdoor activity, perspiration is absorbed into cotton layers that are touching or near the skin. As the air pockets in the fabric fill up with water, it ceases to provide insulation. A damp layer of clothing against the skin pulls heat away from the body and can rapidly lower body temperature. Furthermore, wet, cotton clothing takes much longer to dry than comparably weighted synthetic fabrics. Garments labeled as corduroy, denim, flannel, or duck are mostly, or entirely, made from cotton. Clothing made from synthetic fabrics or wool is more appropriate, particularly during physical activity in the cold.
Cotton on a single long warm day in the humid south can cause monkey butt or heat rash and ruin a trip.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Interesting topic. I've always loved the Aerostich as it simply slips over whatever I'm wearing for street clothes, and the great thing about using it for commuting. So far, 65-80+ jeans, undershirt and a collared work shirt have been just fine. Warmer, open the underarm vents, vents across the back and sleeves unzipped. Colder, start closing up the vents. Leaving early AM, it has been in the low 40's, like today. 50/50 cotton poly turtleneck over the work shirt/jeans, everything zipped up tight, and the new heated gauntlets and I was comfortable. A bit cool at first, a heated liner or fleece top would take care of that though. I suppose if I was touring, and on the bike for hours I'd consider more wicking synthetics, but so far, I'm not uncomfortable and staying on the bike for a couple tanks of fuel seems like it wouldn't be a problem.

RT

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Cool Max T-shirt on hot days with shorts or light weight Ex-Officio hiking pants. Under Armor long sleeve, high neck with heavy duty hiking pants on colder days, adding another layer and heated Warm n’Safe liner as it gets even colder. My ‘stIch is the R3 Lite so it is a thinner suit than the classic.

Bike
2010 ST1300
“Cotton kills”
While this saying is somewhat of an exaggeration, cotton clothing ranks at the bottom of the list of appropriate fabrics for cold weather active wear.
Then I must be dead. I don't disagree about wearing cotton outdoors in the cold when skiing or running or any strenuous exercise. I don't think I've ever broken a sweat while riding a motorcycle unless the temps are elevated. And, as I said, I know I sweat less than most other guys.
Cotton on a single long warm day in the humid south can cause monkey butt or heat rash and ruin a trip.
Never had either. But, I don't ride in the humid south.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have a ton of Cool-Max shirts – mostly short sleeve v-neck as they're the coolest. A few short sleeve crew neck and long sleeve crew neck. Even they are warm on a warm day but nothing like cotton. There is a small range of temperatures where cotton is comfortable for me. Otherwise it's Cool Max.

Top Bottom