Clean Calipers With DOT- 3?

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I know the ST1300 uses DOT - 4 brake fluid, and I will use that when I replace the fluid.

But, since I have several opened cans of DOT-3 around, is there any reason not to use it to scrub off the calipers ? (cheapskate here ;))

Thanks!

I know the ST1300 uses DOT - 4 brake fluid, and I will use that when I replace the fluid.

But, since I have several opened cans of DOT-3 around, is there any reason not to use it to scrub off the calipers ? (cheapskate here ;))

Thanks!

So you want to use it to clean the external surfaces of the calipers, right? No problem with that. Also, since DOT3 and DOT4 have the same basic chemistry you could even mix them and all that would happen is you'd lower the boiling point a bit. The boiling point of DOT4 is higher, and I think it has a little different viscosity and some extra additives compared to DOT3, but they are chemically compatible.

So you want to use it to clean the external surfaces of the calipers, right? No problem with that.
.......but they are chemically compatible.

Right, just want to clean the grit off the outside.

Thanks - that's exactly what I needed to know.:)

If you use brake fluid to clean the external surface of the calipers, won't that strip the paint off?

...won't that strip the paint off?
I'm fearing the same...

I use aluminium wheel cleaner for those really filthy cases of brake assemblies, use as advised on the label (do not keep it on longer as the given max time of soaking), rinse off with lots of unpressurised, clean water, repeat and/or enforce effect with a soft, small brush (old toothbrushes serve well) in them small nooks/parts.
I then give it another spray with regular motorcycle cleaner with a profound rinse at the end.
And wear proper rubber gloves as well as safety goggles, as those car wheel cleaners contain traces of sulphuric-acid... but them callipers/parts look oh so clean and shiny afterwards :cool:

I'm fearing the same...

I use aluminium wheel cleaner for those really filthy cases of brake assemblies, use as advised on the label (do not keep it on longer as the given max time of soaking), rinse off with lots of unpressurised, clean water, repeat and/or enforce effect with a soft, small brush (old toothbrushes serve well) in them small nooks/parts.
I then give it another spray with regular motorcycle cleaner with a profound rinse at the end.
And wear proper rubber gloves as well as safety goggles, as those car wheel cleaners contain traces of sulphuric-acid... but them callipers/parts look oh so clean and shiny afterwards :cool:

Hopefully you are using the type that is safe for ALL SURFACES as the other will etch aluminum.

Hopefully you are using the type that is safe for ALL SURFACES as the other will etch aluminum.
Yep, as written, get a product rated for aluminium car wheels...

Used it with great success while refurbing the used '94, which was in a pretty sorry state due being always parked outside and the PO not being much of a neat-freak either...
Brilliant, them callipers, rotors and other parts turned out (nearly) looking like out the box, no paint damage, no oxidations...
Even used it to clean the inside/groove of the calliper bores during overhaul/rebuild... worked excellent removing all those crystals and crud in there.

Just do lots of rinsing and another shampoo wash afterwards (bores of callipers and other 'guts' were of course blown dry with compressed air + dried out with the heat gun before re-assembly...)

Back
Top Bottom