Clutch life expectancy

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well I did rough math and it was rounded up a bit. As of today's ride only 586,736.40 kms.

No crud at the head gasket. You sure it's head gasket and not the valve cover gasket?

Another normal thing for ST1300's is coolant leaks in the hose clamps. Mine leak a small amount. I smell it a couple times a year but I haven't addressed it yet. I plan to get to it someday...

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
For real? Or is the comma in the wrong place? Wow. Gotta ask you if you have seepage around the head gasket area. I pulled of the plastic and seen that the is some oily crud at the gasket area. Not a lot mind you and am guessing that it is normal for higher milers. Not really too worried about that, but in my 35 years of working on JD equipment i know a waterpump seal failure when i see one. The bike went from the original owners heated garage to my ice cold Sea Can and then lost about 4 tablespoons of coolant out of the weep hole. I am sure that when the bike is running and warm, it would stop but that's not the point. Coolant leaking past the coolant impeller seal and out is ugly and messy but if it ever gets by the impeller engine oil seal.. look out.
Yes he is for real.

There are small drain holes from the spark plug recess to the bottom outer side of the cylinder heads. If the cylinder head cover gasket or spark plug leaks around the plugs the oil drains out of the small holes to the outside of the heads, and makes it look like a head gasket leak.

On the water pump seal issue, there are two seals, one on the water side and another on the oil side, in between them is a drain hole to the outside of the engine. These seals may sometimes leak just a little. I have not topped up coolant in 10K miles because the amount of seal leakage is so small, it didn’t need it. Apparently this is normal. Sometimes I smell hot coolant, as a vapor. Over 10K miles the reservoir dropped about 1 inch.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Every ST1300 on the planet weeps, seeps, or leaks some coolant except right after the myriad of connections and thermostat housing O-ring have been addressed. It may never may never drip on the floor but it’s there. By 60,000 miles the accumulated coolant in nooks and crannies and particularly down the right front of the block has attracted road grime and looks every bit like an oily mess but it’s just coolant mixed with road grime. Clean up the dirty areas and monitor where the coolant appears after the bike had been ridden a few hundred miles.

OP
OP
Rob F

Rob F

Site Supporter
Those are the exact conditions that cause the coolant hoses to weep at the connection point. Only leaks when cold. Very common and very well known issue with the ST1300. Snug up the hose clamps and it stops.
Mentioning in case you were not aware and so you can be sure that it is the water pump and not this common issue.
Thanks for the heads up. I did do a bunch of studying up on this site and all over the web on st coolant leaks before i ordered the pump. It does appear that i actually have 2 or 3 leaks and are coming from up top. However, when i run a wire up the round weep hole it always come out wet. I am suspecting that the impeller shaft has a groove where the water seal rides and as the seal gets harder and the shaft shrinks in the cold the leak appears. I have gaskets, a bearing, seals and an impeller shaft, new thermostat and rad cap coming. I will be yarding off the fuel tank and throttle body to change hoses and clamps. Also doing a valve clearance check, clutch and brake flush, fork oil change, diff oil change, clean up and dielectric grease all wiring connections, new tires, and handlebar risers. Basically going from one end to the other.
Right about now i am sure missing my simple air cooled '98 XV1100 Virago.P5100002.JPG

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Thanks for the heads up. I did do a bunch of studying up on this site and all over the web on st coolant leaks before i ordered the pump. It does appear that i actually have 2 or 3 leaks and are coming from up top. However, when i run a wire up the round weep hole it always come out wet. I am suspecting that the impeller shaft has a groove where the water seal rides and as the seal gets harder and the shaft shrinks in the cold the leak appears. I have gaskets, a bearing, seals and an impeller shaft, new thermostat and rad cap coming. I will be yarding off the fuel tank and throttle body to change hoses and clamps. Also doing a valve clearance check, clutch and brake flush, fork oil change, diff oil change, clean up and dielectric grease all wiring connections, new tires, and handlebar risers. Basically going from one end to the other.
Right about now i am sure missing my simple air cooled '98 XV1100 Virago.P5100002.JPG
I have always liked those.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's normal for that seal to weep ever so little during temperature variations and it wouldn't be out of ordinary for a wire to come out wet. A leak is something different. Does it have a steady drip or flow when the engine is warm and running?

OP
OP
Rob F

Rob F

Site Supporter
It's normal for that seal to weep ever so little during temperature variations and it wouldn't be out of ordinary for a wire to come out wet. A leak is something different. Does it have a steady drip or flow when the engine is warm and running?
Sorry, it's too cold to run it now. I would be ok with slight seepage but i feel it's a bit much ( a couple of table spoons). So call me crazy but i am going ahead with the replacement.
I have a Nomad, a Drifter and a V-strom in the same sea-can that don't leak even at -38c. May be learning the hard way by not heeding every ones advice and won't know untill next winter. If it seeps then, i can assure you that i will be kicking my ass extra hard.

OP
OP
Rob F

Rob F

Site Supporter
Well I did rough math and it was rounded up a bit. As of today's ride only 586,736.40 kms.

No crud at the head gasket. You sure it's head gasket and not the valve cover gasket?

Another normal thing for ST1300's is coolant leaks in the hose clamps. Mine leak a small amount. I smell it a couple times a year but I haven't addressed it yet. I plan to get to it someday...
That is impressive mileage for sure and the colored map of your travels also impressive. I salute you, brother. My travels pale in comparison and i'm afraid that i am getting too old to catch up to those numbers. And yes, the crud is at the head to block gasket. I am not too worried about it right now but it is directly about the header pipes so i will know soon enough if it is a leak or just a moist place collecting gunk.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
That is impressive mileage for sure and the colored map of your travels also impressive. I salute you, brother. My travels pale in comparison and i'm afraid that i am getting too old to catch up to those numbers. And yes, the crud is at the head to block gasket. I am not too worried about it right now but it is directly about the header pipes so i will know soon enough if it is a leak or just a moist place collecting gunk.
Drain holes from the spark plug recesses to the outside of the cylinder heads

ST1300 cylinder head.
861AAC05-F8D1-426C-8E2D-F665CE56E540.jpeg

Bike
Scrambler Ducati
I got my XV cheap from a friend because that was what I could afford. The thing as bullet proof (although it tended to foul plugs). If only that great engine hadn't got stuck in a styling exercise chassis. I got a good trade in on my DL650.

OP
OP
Rob F

Rob F

Site Supporter
Drain holes from the spark plug recesses to the outside of the cylinder heads

ST1300 cylinder head.
861AAC05-F8D1-426C-8E2D-F665CE56E540.jpeg
What the hell? More drain holes? Never heard of spark plug drains. Now what does that indicate if there is residue? And why is that head pulled? You are making me nervous my friend.

OP
OP
Rob F

Rob F

Site Supporter
I got my XV cheap from a friend because that was what I could afford. The thing as bullet proof (although it tended to foul plugs). If only that great engine hadn't got stuck in a styling exercise chassis. I got a good trade in on my DL650.
It is a Virago trade mark to eat up spark plugs. Usually at first startup in the spring. I think what took them out was the carbs are really finicky and usually one cylinder gets flooded and eventually that plug will fire up with a loud BANG. And there goes the plug. At an idle under no load it is very hard to tell if both or only one cylinder is running. My little trick was to lick my finger and touch the header pipes. You'll find out pretty quick which one is dead. I've owned 3 of them and found the solution on my last bike from a virago forum. If you use Autolite sparkplugs you rarely have any more issues. As this is an ST forum there will be no more talk of Viragos. ( unless you really want to)

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
What the hell? More drain holes? Never heard of spark plug drains. Now what does that indicate if there is residue? And why is that head pulled? You are making me nervous my friend.
It’s fine, I got the photo off ebay to show you the drain holes. Over time if the plugs are not tight enough residue from the cylinders can build up and drain out through those holes. It can also be oil leaking from the cylinder head cover gaskets. It only takes a few drops of oil to spread across the engine. Leaks often look far worse than they really are. Check to see if your plugs are tight.

4AA7FC73-1EE4-40C3-A245-204599F07C7F.png

OP
OP
Rob F

Rob F

Site Supporter
It’s fine, I got the photo off ebay to show you the drain holes. Over time if the plugs are not tight enough residue from the cylinders can build up and drain out through those holes. It can also be oil leaking from the cylinder head cover gaskets. It only takes a few drops of oil to spread across the engine. Leaks often look far worse than they really are. Check to see if your plugs are tight.

4AA7FC73-1EE4-40C3-A245-204599F07C7F.png
Ok thanks for the info. I feel better already.
The plugs are coming out for the valve check , but was going to look at them anyway because i am not trusting anything the previous owner has told me. Will install new ones and keep old ones for spares. Any particular plug brand or heat range preferred? Also is the valve cover gasket rubberized and reusable or is it paper?

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Ok thanks for the info. I feel better already.
The plugs are coming out for the valve check , but was going to look at them anyway because i am not trusting anything the previous owner has told me. Will install new ones and keep old ones for spares. Any particular plug brand or heat range preferred? Also is the valve cover gasket rubberized and reusable or is it paper?
The cylinder head cover gasket is reusable.

Currently I use NGK.CR8EH-9. I can run regular gas with these plugs no problem. Factory plugs are NGK CR7EH-9 they are hotter and would probably require premium fuel as recommended in the owners manual. The shop manual says you can use CR7EH-9 or CR8EH-9. So I use 8’s and run cheaper gas. Cooler plug.

Plugs. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/spark-plugs-for-st1300.34825/

Last edited:
Top Bottom