Clutch Master Cylinder Failure - 2007 ST1300A

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
33
Location
South Carolina
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have an issue severe months ago regarding the clutch master cylinder on my bike having low fluid level. I could not find a leak but I "re-built" the clutch master cylinder (or so I thought).

Fast forward to yesterday. I had not ridden the bike for a month or more and, since I left the bike on the center stand and in neutral, I never had a reason to play with clutch lever until I tired to take if for a ride yesterday. There was little or no fluid in the master cylinder. An inspection of the area under the bike showed no evidence of leaking fluid.

So, since my first repair effort failed, I want to "re-do" the fix. Can anyone point me to a detailed process for rebuilding the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. I also would consider replacing the "hose".

Thanks.
 
You need to replace the clutch master cylinder with a new unit as sometimes rebuilding them does not work out.
That was what I had in mind. Thanks for confirming it was a good choice.

Now, the question becomes where to purchase the replacement clutch master cylinder. A quick look at Revzilla does not show a product.

Any concerns about the slave cylinder that I should consider?
 
Ron Ayers has the master cylinder for $328...good thing you don't need it. They sell the slave cylinder, part no. 22860-MCS-000 for $85.06. Double check the part number, I just grabbed one of the ST VIN ranges when I looked that up. The slave cyl is on the Rear Crankcase Cover fiche.
 
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I wondered about the slave cylinder leaking and not being able to see the leak. So, I will order a new slave cylinder today. I saw a post on this site, from 2016, that shows it is possible to replace without removing the engine. So, that will be my course of action.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom