OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Huh ??? I never suggested Menards/Home Depot !!! I said try an auto parts store, motorcycle shop, or tractor supply store !!
I'm sorry. Yes, you're right, you never said that. I thought I can find them there too.
To be honest, I really have no idea why I mentioned Menards vs auto parts stores?!?!?!?

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I very much doubt that HD would have the right thing Afan.

These are not just washers - they form a crucial part of a sealing mechanism because they are made of a relatively soft metal such as copper or aluminium which will deform slightly to conform to any surface imperfections in the hydraulic system components. That's why they're often called "crush" washers. In effect, they are exactly like gaskets.

The sort of washers sold at Home Despot and Lowes etc. are almost certainly steel which is much too hard to deform and thus will not seal properly.
Correct. I really have no idea why I was thinking about visiting Menards/HD when I was suggested to go to auto parts store?!? :nuts1: It comes with age, I'm assuming... :p:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Not a problem Afan.

On the matter of rebuilding versus new....it may be a simple task to do - but given that access to the slave cylinder is not easy and all of that, I would tend to go new myself. I think you would only be saving $20-30 by rebuilding it yourself and in any event, you still need the gasket etc. plus what do you do if you find that the bore in your slave cylinder is no good when you get it apart? That would suck.

Anyhow, I ordered my brand new OEM Honda ST1300 clutch slave cylinder p/n 22860-MCS-000 from my friendly local dealer and it came in two days and cost the princely sum of $75.81 CAN.

....which I think that is around $4.85 USD at the present exchange rate.....:(

Pete

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
....which I think that is around $4.85 USD at the present exchange rate....
It always makes me laugh when I see exchange rate remarks like that !

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
It always makes me laugh when I see exchange rate remarks like that !
We're trying to be funny, but the exchange rate really isn't funny for us! It's a shame that our currencies are so far apart. My .02 ( Canadian of course:) which is about 1 millionth of your penny)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
We're trying to be funny, but the exchange rate really isn't funny for us! It's a shame that our currencies are so far apart. My .02 ( Canadian of course:) which is about 1 millionth of your penny)
Let's see what happens to that exchange rate as the US Fed starts to raise their interest rates, as has been hinted at in the news lately. That will force ours up and maybe attract more buyers to the CDN$.

Bike
99 ST1100A
Thanks for all the info guys. I have a 99 and by reading thread some say drop exhaust while others did not. My 99 looks like I will have to for that one bolt, but wanted to reach out and see if I am missing a trick to avoid that. Thanks!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Mine were removed without touching the exhaust. That one bolt was a little tricky as I recall, as in needing just the right wrench and patience.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
TTBOMK there's no need to drop the hot copper washer in water or oil, you're not tempering steel here. Dunking the washer is just a quick way to cool it down. You can just set it down and leave it to cool to ambient. BTDT

John
Hey John : Will you be at Moonshine this year ???

Bike
99 ST1100A
Well I was able to loosen the bolt but did have to drop RH exhaust to get clearance to remove bolt. My bike is 99 ABS/TC so don't know if exhaust clearance is different on each year or model. Manual warned exhaust bolts may break but mine were very easy to loosen. The hardest part was figuring out the jigsaw puzzle of removing the plastic since it was first time. Thanks again for all the info!

Top Bottom