Cold Weather Riding - Tires

Bike
2014 ST1300
It's currently about -4 Celsius here in Calgary, -10 with the windchill. But it's a beautiful sunny morning and I am itching to go riding; 6 months of winter makes you want to grab every second you can. But here's the thing, I can dress for cold but is it safe given that the tires on the bike won't be like winter tires on my truck? Below 7 degrees, tires that aren't winter rated turn into hockey pucks so traction is significantly reduced which I am assuming would be the case for the tires on the bike.

Being a native Texan, where the winter lasts 20-30 days, I can't answer ... however, if it were me, and I felt up to it, I wouldn't worry about "tire temperature" , and just go ride

I have ridden in very cold weather just give the tires time to warm up a bit and you may want to keep the real aggressive riding for later on in warmer weather, but if you want to get out, go for it and enjoy a leisurely ride.

Ditto on all the above.
Be smooth, and if you stay off icy patches and loose surfaces, it should all be good.
I'm not confident enough to suggest lowering the tire pressure just a couple of pounds, but that is one way to warm the tires quicker, adding flex and grip. How much, exactly?
As I said, I won't recommend it with assurance or guarantees, but conceptually it is an option available to you.

In rain or snow I head for the straightest flattest roads for my rides. I have ridden down to -9 F (not sure what that is in C) and not had a tire adhesion issue. Slow, upright, steady throttle, easy early braking.

PomdmDw.jpg

Lowering the pressure to 40 wouldn't hurt anything but it's still below freezing, making the roads slick. My advice, wait until it's at least above zero. You don't want to drop that heavy bike at the start of the season!
Be smart and be safe.....

In rain or snow I head for the straightest flattest roads for my rides. I have ridden down to -9 F (not sure what that is in C) and not had a tire adhesion issue. Slow, upright, steady throttle, easy early braking.

Are you crazy? WOW! :)

1618154126075.png

If you are starting off with the bike having been in a heated garage the tires will already be plenty warm enough. As long as you keep moving at highway speeds the tires will stay plenty warm enough. If you stop for an extended period of time the tires will get cold. When you resume riding, take it easy for a while to allow them to warm up again.

If you are not starting off from a heated garage, take it easy for a while until your tires warm up.

At those temperatures, your biggest concern is the condition of the road more-so then the tire temperature. Rounding a corner and encountering a patch of ice while you are leaned over is your biggest danger.

Weasel in a Suit, you're obviously as mad as a very cold fish but there's no need to worry about the tyres. If it's dry and the need for a ride takes over, just do it.
They will take longer to warm up, but not much.
Stay off the wet and white lines.
Don't lean too far over but the tyres will hang on in there unless provoked.
It's actually good practice for smooth riding techniques. Use all controls lightly.
Enjoy.
Upt'North.

Weasel in a Suit, you're obviously as mad as a very cold fish but there's no need to worry about the tyres. If it's dry and the need for a ride takes over, just do it.
They will take longer to warm up, but not much.
Stay off the wet and white lines.
Don't lean too far over but the tyres will hang on in there unless provoked.
It's actually good practice for smooth riding techniques. Use all controls lightly.
Enjoy.
Upt'North.
Funny you mention the white lines. When I first started riding, I was out one very cool evening and foolishly used the front brake while coming to a stop at a light. Hit the road markers and down I went, ended up with a concussion. I think the smooth riding techniques idea is a good one. I also thought I might head to an empty lot and practice. Just started riding last summer after 30 years off so the newbie sheen is still on.

Appreciate all the replies folks, thank you.

@Kevcules , I am guessing you haven't read the Coldest Ride Contest game thread in this forum.

My coldest ride to date was just over 65 miles at -15.7F (-26.5C) (I was carrying an accurate digital thermometer since the bike temp sensor doesn't read below +14F or -10C). There are many riders I've read about who have gone riding in much colder temps. The Dan is one, but I've read of some who took the road to Alaska in winter or who have ridden in Siberia in much colder temps than that. I've gone on many rides, mostly my commute to work while I was still working, at temps between -12F (-24.4C) and ZeroF (-17.8C). I almost always verified any route I was riding before going out on 2 wheels to make sure there was no ice/snow on the pavement where my wheels would be. I never cared if there was many feet of snow off to the side of the road or on the shoulder as long as I didn't have to ride there. Pavement can be very dry in very cold temps. When I couldn't or didn't pre-check the route I used many online weather sources, including the DOT, to verify pavement conditions. I also paid close attention to how much moisture might be IN the pavement since that can leach up and freeze.

Tire rubber does get harder in cold weather. But not as hard as many seem to think. It is still flexible enough to grip the dry pavement when starting out. And as has been mentioned as you roll on down the road it warms up and becomes more flexible. Not as flexible as on a hot sunny day in July (for those in the northern hemisphere) but plenty flexible to grip as long as you don't get crazy and just ride moderately.

The bigger concern while riding in very cold temps is YOU. Make sure you are warm enough. Staying alert and attentive while you ride is important and being cold for very long will diminish that a lot. Those of us who regularly ride in cold temps have learned what gear is needed to stay warm and comfortable regardless of the temp... to a point.

Oh, and don't forget to verify your tire PSI since cold weather WILL drop that significantly.

The rider temp is a good point Bob. I've been working my way through David Hough's books (Proficient Motorcycling and Mastering the Ride) and he talks about using a neck warmer given how cold can impair a rider's ability. So I bought one and having used it, it's amazing how much of a difference a simple small bit of kit can make to your enjoyment. Having skied for years I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.

When I first started riding, I was out one very cool evening and foolishly used the front brake while coming to a stop at a light.
<SNIP>
Appreciate all the replies folks, thank you.
It wasn't at all "foolish" to use the front brake. Both brakes should be used as a good habit, and routinely, while stopping.
We're not talking about trail braking, or braking in a corner necessarily, or any of the finer nuances other than straight-line braking to a stop.
It was inappropriate SQUEEZING of the brake lever, that was your downfall in this instance. From your description, you likely grabbed it too hard and too quickly, instead of progressively SQUEEZING it, thus exceeding the traction limits due to insufficient time to allow adequate weight transfer.

Excellent point, Hough makes the same one. It's like building a house, with each layer being another bit of knowledge. Doubt we ever stop building though the sky looks a long way up from here in the basement:).

I attempt to learn every day.
Perfection, while elusive, is still a very worthy pursuit.
As we say in MSF coaching, we're expecting to see improvement, not perfection.

Back
Top Bottom