Coldest Ride 2018-2019

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Man, it has been a month since my bike went into the shop and I can't believe I'm still in 2nd place on the list. Has everyone else put their bikes away for the winter? I'm sure at this time last year I'd long faded off the top ten list. Or maybe it's that global warming thing kicking in. :)

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Man, it has been a month since my bike went into the shop and I can't believe I'm still in 2nd place on the list. Has everyone else put their bikes away for the winter? I'm sure at this time last year I'd long faded off the top ten list. Or maybe it's that global warming thing kicking in. :)
It's still too hot for the really cold riders. ;)

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just got tired of waiting for cooler temps. Though expecting 13-14*F next week a few mornings. I still have my overpants in mesh mode! However I did put in the wind and thermal liners but not the solid shell outside yet. Legs too warm in them even in the mid 20s*F. Maybe next week.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
OK, need to update/correct this. Today was one of those days when the high for the day happened the first minute the weather people count for today... very early in the morning... like when I rode to work. Temps dropped all day headed for the first lows in the teens*F of the season. On my ride home from work I saw the indicator on the dash showing me 24*F (-4.4*C).

Next week expecting to see some of those temps in the teens F going to work. Did have very light snow flurries today going both directions but had to look hard to see it. Don't expect any precipitation all next week so a clear road to ride to work. :grin:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
yea we are just starting to get cold here. In the 20's this morning but I had to go to a grandsons basketball game. By the time I got home and dressed it had warmed up to 33. By the time I got out and riding had warmed up to 35.

I snagged a -2 below last year and a -1 below the year before that, but it will be a couple months before we see those temps. I ride everyday so the colder temps will come to me lol. probably won't post up any more pics until I can get one in the 20's, then teens, then single digit, then hopefully negative digits.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
well didn't take long to drop that a bit. This mornings 56 mile ride. Tuesday is supposed to be colder. Not ready for this weather yet..this is January or February weather. What happened to fall?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
This mornings 56 mile ride. Tuesday is supposed to be colder. Not ready for this weather yet..this is January or February weather. What happened to fall?
Well with full on winter in western Canada I cant feel sorry for you or anyone who still gets out for a ride. We have a bout 6 inches of snow, and have seen windchills of -29C already. I sure want to be somewhere else with 365 riding. The season is well over here:(

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I feel for you instead. I am one who would really be happy if the snow holds off until Dec 23 and then dumps a foot or two... then the temps warm up over freezing after Jan 3 and it all melts away until the next Dec 23. We've been down to -29C (-20.4F) before and get the snow as well. I didn't get to ride in that temp but I have gone 60 miles at just under -15F (-26C). Our city and county public works are really good at clearing the roads fairly quick so when the snow dumps on us it's just a few days and I'm back on two wheels for my commute (usually around 25-30 miles round trip depending on my route that day). What's this "season" thing people talk about? There's just temporary delay of a few days due to road surface conditions. But that's just something that happens; snow, tornados, severe weather of any other kind, road construction, etc. I guess there are seasons for those things.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yep, cooling down quite a bit. I'm expecting mid 20s in the early mornings here this week.

migresch

"Carpe diem"
Bike
'04 ST-1300A
Possibly the last ride of the season: 28 Deg F (12.2F with windchill, does that count?). I have a WarmGear heated jacket and Oxford heated grips, so quite comfortable. Hands froze at the pump when refueling, though. There were patches of ice on the road and snow in the woods. Sigh. Life in NB, Canada[emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Ha, no windchill... we're on a motorcycle... we always have windchill!

I saw 31° riding in to work today. My heated gloves and jacket liner worked well. Toes got a little cold though.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Coldest morning of the season so far. Weather report was showing 11F, colder than I saw coming in to work this morning so I brought along my digital Aquarium thermometer just in case. I usually find the beltway a little bit warmer than the weather report says. Don't know for sure how low the temp gauge on my Burgman will show but most motorcycle indicators only go to 14F (-10C). And that's just what I saw indicated on my ride in. Most of the way to work the Aquarium sensor showed 14.1F (9.94C) and the bike sensor showed 14F. No dashes on the bike sensor so may be a few tenths above. The Aquarium gauge will go down to -58F, though I really don't know when you would need an Aquarium that cold but. It works for this. I trust the Aquarium sensor to be more accurate.

BTW- simply because I forgot to add it, I still have my overpants without the outer solid shell... in mesh mode. But, I did have the wind and thermal liners inserted from last week so my legs were plenty warm still. Just assured myself that I will be fine to replace these TM Flex overpants with the TM Venture Air 2.0 overpants without worry about being cold in cold temps. The Venture Air overpant don't have the outer solid shell that the Flex overpant does.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Coldest morning of the season so far. Weather report was showing 11F, colder than I saw coming in to work this morning so I brought along my digital Aquarium thermometer just in case. I usually find the beltway a little bit warmer than the weather report says. Don't know for sure how low the temp gauge on my Burgman will show but most motorcycle indicators only go to 14F (-10C). And that's just what I saw indicated on my ride in. Most of the way to work the Aquarium sensor showed 14.1F (9.94C) and the bike sensor showed 14F. No dashes on the bike sensor so may be a few tenths above. The Aquarium gauge will go down to -58F, though I really don't know when you would need an Aquarium that cold but. It works for this. I trust the Aquarium sensor to be more accurate.

BTW- simply because I forgot to add it, I still have my overpants without the outer solid shell... in mesh mode. But, I did have the wind and thermal liners inserted from last week so my legs were plenty warm still. Just assured myself that I will be fine to replace these TM Flex overpants with the TM Venture Air 2.0 overpants without worry about being cold in cold temps. The Venture Air overpant don't have the outer solid shell that the Flex overpant does.
Hey, I cry foul...I want a recount... Photos? ;) Sounds like a recent election somewhere?

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
21F on the gauge. It was 19F about 10 minutes prior, but I wasn't in a position to snap a photo.

13-Nov-2018-ST1300-temperature.jpg

I was wearing my FieldSheer coat with liner, a t-shirt and sweatshirt, duofold thermals, and some old snowmobile pants with armor built-in.
Feet had Rocky boots (w/200g insulation - not enough - toes got cold) and cold-weather gloves (inadequte, even with grip heaters! Fingers got cold.).

Attachments

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
This week I finally had to break out the full winter gear. Thermal undies, jeans and sweatshirt mid-layer, Klim insulated bibs and jacket top-layer. Thermal socks and snowmobile boots. Glove liners, snowmobile gloves. Since it was above 5, I didn't need the glove liners plugged in, yet.

I'll get an Aquarium sensor for future commutes once we get below zero but for now, can I have credit for 7°F? Weather underground shows 7 near my house when I left and 6 near work when I got there a half hour later.

The ST1300 now includes heated grips but I've put it away for the winter.

My 2015 Yamaha WR250 winter bike will get the Oxford Heated Grips upgrade sometime before January. I'll let you know if they are enough for sub-zero without heated cloths or heated glove liners. I really don't like needing to plug into the bike.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

LeavingTemp.png

AriveTemp.png

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hey, I cry foul...I want a recount... Photos? ;) Sounds like a recent election somewhere?
Since this version of the game didn't indicate a need for photos I didn't get one. Kind of hard to do so while riding down the beltway at 60 mph. Besides, in Iowa they passed the law that makes just holding a cell phone in hand while operating any vehicle a primary offence, means they can pull me over just for that alone. Oh, and the temp did go up in the last 2 miles of my 13 mile ride to work... to 15F. Was 14F for the first 11 miles. Maybe a recount here can be done way before the recount down south, if they are even ABLE to accomplish it at all. :D

THIS is the thermometer I bought from Amazon to use. I was wrong, it only goes down to -50F. Not that I would likely see that around here, or continue riding at that temp. I'm getting older and feel it more than even a few years ago.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Another cold one today... 25° on my ride in. I wasn't feeling much, if any heat in my right glove this morning. Guess I need to ohm it out. In the past, I've had to repair the wires in both arms of the jacket and one of the gloves. Both are Gerbings. Wish they were a little more robust, although in the winter, I put them on/off a lot.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Note: temp graphs and pics are nice, but not required. We're relying on honesty and transparency here... it would be pretty sad for someone to cheat on an internet game that only a few even know about, no one really cares about and has no prizes! It's just a few of us having a little competitive fun. I think we've done pretty well so far, last year and this year.

Top Bottom