Coldest Ride, 2021-2022 Winter

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Well, I'm out. No means of bettering my previous temp.

Yesterday everything came together:
- I was needed at the office (25 miles away) for the first time in months.
- Temperature at 8am was -7⁰F.
- No snow for a week so roads were clean enough.
- New heated gloves to try (I'm fine for all but my hands down to -20⁰F).
- Bike on a charger since the night before to assure battery will be good for starting.

Bike didn't start. In fact none of the bikes in my garage would start. The garage seems to run about 15 to 20⁰F warmer than outside but it isn't a heated or all that well insulated but whatever that inner-garage temp was it was too low for the bikes.

My problem right now is I've only got single cylinder bikes. Trying to start a single is an issue when really cold because the crank has to roll all the way around two full times before getting another pushing-pop from sparked gasses. The Kawasaki Ninja 300 (daughter's potential bike) worked ok a few years ago but I sold that when it was clear my daughter wasn't ever going to get a license.

The fully charged up KTM Duke 390 (son's potential bike) tried hard but just couldn't pop.
Honda Grom (wife's bike) DOA.
Yamaha WR400 with street trim never even coughed after many, many kicks.

I'm sure the Honda ST1300 would have started (if charged) but I sold that to a buddy last fall.
I'm sure the Yamaha WR250R would have started (if fully charged), despite being a single as I've had no trouble with it over many winters, but I sold that 2 years ago when I wasn't going to need a winter commuter for a bit.

So, looks like I'm out of the game until I replace the ST or the WR. ST replacement is waiting to find a good deal on a Yamaha FJR1300, 2016 or newer. WR replacement is waiting for Yamaha to stop being jerks and bring in their WR450R from Europe or build and bring over a WR300R to compete with Honda's CRF300. The Yamaha XT250 just doesn't do it for me. I'm really sad they discontinued the WR250R.

So, I'm out...unless...maybe if I bring the KTM inside over night and park it inside at the office...hum...:think1:

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Reactions: Obo

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Bummer mudduc. that would have been a leading temp

I was up and out early this morning for my first single digit ride on the new NC DCT. Bike started fine and the DCT worked perfectly. 21 miles at 9 degrees this morning. A new low for THIS bike.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I wouldn't mind a short ride but snow and temps here are off the scale this winter. 35 - 40cm of snow a few days ago and temp last night in Kawarthas (cottage country) -31, - 35 with wind chill. Last week -37, -43 with wind chill. So, next ride will be in early April.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I would have never imagined that other priorities would keep my winter bike on the lift for ten weeks.
It’s -2 and I am missing out but it’s warm in bed with the dogs .
At least a couple days ago I cleared the garage for my wife’s car and the winter bike.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I wouldn't mind a short ride but snow and temps here are off the scale this winter. 35 - 40cm of snow a few days ago and temp last night in Kawarthas (cottage country) -31, - 35 with wind chill. Last week -37, -43 with wind chill. So, next ride will be in early April.
Oooh! Wind chill. That's going to start me off, again. (I've been weirdly overly verbose lately)

I hate, HATE, wind chill. I'm so very pissed off when the weather report is showing only wind chill temperatures and I need to wait around and hope they tell me the actual temperature so I have the knowledge I need.

Wind chill is STUPID! The only reason it exists is to sensationalize the weather and get viewers to go WOW! I thought it was going to be cold at -2 but it's really -35?!? Holly cats, I'm going to call Larry!

Just tell us what the temperature is, and if its windy, how fast the air is moving.

Wind isn't going to make any difference to me as I'm riding along at 70mph. Wind isn't going to make any difference to people outside as long as they are smart enough to keep all their skin covered with a wind-proof layer (yes, I know that last isn't exactly true but close enough).

My truck is sitting all night outside at -2 with high wind. In the morning, all the parts of my truck are going to be -2, NOT -35 (or whatever the stupid wind-chill value happens to be).

I'll concede wind-chill warnings are good to have. Just like blizzard warnings or flash-flood warnings or tornado warnings but it doesn't need to be sensationalized. Just show that map with the warning areas to let people know the temp and wind in these areas combine to be really dangerous. Leave it at that.

That reminds me, tornado warnings are now so knee-jerk, hyper-sensitive, overly-cautious to be nearly useless. They are...eh?...well, forget it. I'm old-man raged out for now.

I think this post is appropriate and on-subject for our coldest-ride thread but I'm posting it again over here: Rage about wind-chill
No need to clutter this thread any further for my rant.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
According to accuweather it's 3 degrees out right now, but we got 3 1/2" of snow yesterday and the roads are way bad, so bike stays in the garage for now. I did get to ride the quad with snowplow again yesterday, but it snowed more afterwards and I get to do it again today.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
On Sunday morning when I left Kerrville, TX coming home from WinterSTOC at 7:30 am it was 24 degrees! So, as much as I hate to say it, it looks like I make this list and I have no intention of ever making it again! lol I had the heated grips on high but didn't plug in my heated gloves so it took about 30 miles before I could feel the thumb on my right hand... yeah I could have stopped but none of us like to stop once we get moving.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This is a rare calendar month for me with no ride. Even more rare no engine start ups.
And barely on the cold list.
A couple days in the 40’s might allow me to extract the winter bike out of the Spa and place it in the garage where I have a chance of clearing a path to the street after this coming snowstorm.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Sorry to hear that Frank. I haven't missed riding in a month in 14 years since I've been keeping track. I've ridden 22 days this month and hoping the streets are clear enough to get out this afternoon. Won't be terribly cold though, high 30's low 40's maybe depending on how much sun we get. Another snow blast coming Wed or Thur I think.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Sorry to hear that Frank. I haven't missed riding in a month in 14 years since I've been keeping track. I've ridden 22 days this month and hoping the streets are clear enough to get out this afternoon. Won't be terribly cold though, high 30's low 40's maybe depending on how much sun we get. Another snow blast coming Wed or Thur I think.
I haven't even had the garage door open in 30 days to where the bike is stored. Last ride was late Nov / Early Dec. :(

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looking at long range outlook for my area I think I won't be seeing any lower temps than what has already past me by.
There were a few days I might have been able to get out in temps below zeroF, but not very much below that temp. I was unable to do so on those days due to an issue I was having with the heated grips on my AK that I wanted to get resolved under warranty ASAP before the cold season was totally over. That issue is now completely resolved, and covered by warranty, but I missed those few days to lower my temp as a result.

It may be that there are other areas that may see colder temps yet. February is not over and I've seen some very cold temps before all the way into early April.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
We're in the middle of getting another 15cm/6" of snow as I type. No riding here for a bit I'm afraid.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Looking at long range outlook for my area I think I won't be seeing any lower temps than what has already past me by.
Probably in the same boat but that doesn't hurt my feelings lol. I prefer warm to cold

We had some pretty cold temps a week or so ago but also had ice under snow on my driveway and road so couldn't get out on the bike. Took me 3 days just to bust my driveway free. The street took another 6 days to be rideable.

So my 9F from Jan 22 is probably going to be it for me this year.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
@the Ferret, Congrats on 9 degrees. That was good for me for third place last winter.
I am back in the game.
Brutus came out of the spa late but ready for the rest of winter with new battery, tires, brake pads, overhauled calipers with several new pistons, right muffler clamp, rear fender bolts and clip nuts and a new to me heated Corbin saddle.
Love the heated saddle.
Rode 64 miles this evening. Couldn’t get below my 25 degree mark.
Great to ride again after two and a half months off.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
In the book "A day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch " the writer is in a Russian Goolag .The useful tip comes from one of the guards . He said on a very cold day just go outside for 5 minutes without gloves or coat , then when you come in your circulation kicks in and you will stay warm for the rest of the day . And that really works .

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
In the book "A day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch " the writer is in a Russian Goolag .The useful tip comes from one of the guards . He said on a very cold day just go outside for 5 minutes without gloves or coat , then when you come in your circulation kicks in and you will stay warm for the rest of the day . And that really works .
So I guess keeping my gloves on my bike in the unheated garage and going out to my bike with the garage door open should work since it takes a little longer than 5 minutes to get my ear plugs in, my neck gator on, my beanie and helmet put on, and then finally my gloves. Then, with my current ride, I put my gloved hands into the handlebar muffs and turn on the heated grips. So my hands really do stay warm all day no matter what the temp is. And I don't even need to turn up the grip heat past the low setting!

37F...last weekend in Nov 2021.... from my house to Dalton, WI... 7 miles each way.. Tourmaster jacket and pants... Gerbin gloves... I now KNOW that i need boots...the only part of me that got chilled...

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Make sure you get boots with a shin guard and ankle armor for protection. More important than even thermal protection.

Top Bottom