Constant tension hose clamps...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It seems most of the products around are sorely made for the spacious engine bays of cars...

The "big headed" ones with a coil will be definitely troublesome to install on a motorcycle engine/system...

Screenshot_2020-04-26 BREEZE Constant-Torque Standard (AERO HKFK) mit Tellerfeder, Bandbreite ...png

I'd figured those with a corrugated spring should be easier to attach while still serve the purpose:

NORMA-Torro-WF_600x600.jpg

Pro/Cons?

And now we need a listing of clamp-diameters used in:

- ST1100 with oil cooler
- ST1100 w/out oil cooler
- ST1300
- NT700VA
- etc...

;)

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Why not the spring clamps?

csc.jpg

Most of the screw tightened constant tension clamps that I have come upon have been tightened to the point that they are just regular clamps.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Seems not advisable around the (pressurized) coolant circle...
I agree on the issue of over-tightening (Honda actually gives torque numbers for their (standard) hose-clamps!...) I've seen many nearly cutting through the rubber...

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I've used them on cooling systems effectively. I am also unsure what their pressure hold limit is. They are widely used on low pressure fuel lines, but I don't think I have seen them on fuel injection hoses. I use Oetiker clamps on fuel injection, compressed air, and any other use where I don't trust a spring clamp. I just about won't use a worm drive clamp.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Cooling-System-Maintenance-Spring-vs-Worm-vs-T-Bolt-Hose-Clamps
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/what-do-hose-clamps-do

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've used them on cooling systems effectively.
Yes, but they start to imprint into the (thick wall) coolant hose, requiring precise re-positioning when applying them again (their also notorious to press the stubs into an oval shape)
I'd like to keep things serviceable though...
Honda uses non slotted worm screw clamps, but also those often go out of shape...
The racing clamps look interesting due their smooth inside, keeping damage to the hose to a minimum.

Found that the NT700VA alone requires 32 hose clamps...
Will need to measure all to find proper supplements, and haven't even begun to check the ST1100 fiche yet...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

csc.jpg

Most of the screw tightened constant tension clamps that I have come upon have been tightened to the point that they are just regular clamps.
Excellent for vacuum hoses, which is what I use them for. You, and I mean me, have to wonder if their max clamp force is sufficient for a long term seal.

Bike
2010 ST1300
These have been discussed before. Blrfl was the author of several posts. You might also consider the heat shrink hose 'clamps' made by Gates that both @SupraSabre and @Bmacleod have used.

Read This thread on the constant tension clamps, and another one on the clamp sizes. Here is some stuff on the heat shrink style.

When I asked Bmacleod about his experience with the heat shrink type, here is what he wrote:
"Just touching base with the information you asked for. I got the Gates part# 32932. I asked for the 32932 and received parts that said 42932 on them, even though the receipt said 32932. Not sure what is up with that but they were the correct size. They were simple to install and really seem to grab tight. Once they are shrunk to size, they are very hard, like plastic. I was expecting a more rubber-like texture. I like them and think the technology makes sense, but I am not sure I would use them again, only because they are a one-time use. If I have to remove one, I need to buy another. Who knows, they were easy to get... went to my local jobber in town that carried Gates products. $5.00 a pop. Sorry it took so long to get back to you... I wanted to take the bike for a ride to be sure there were no leaks to report to you that they do their job and with the crappy spring we've been having, I just got out today for my first ride. Hope this info is useful."

I have used some of the first type you pictured (top pic), and yes, they take more than a little planning ahead to make sure the big spring does not run afoul of nearby parts. In fact, I had to pull the fairing off to move a couple of them. I understand that they can all be made to fit simply by judicious positioning of the top spring/screw/tensioning mechanism - even behind the stat housing in the vee of the engine. And at least a few guys who have used them on all of the hoses have reported no more leaks after some years. Note that Blrfl's original comment about 45 in lb being the torque for these might be wrong. I've read in other threads that it is 90 in lb. That seemed much too tight to me, so I backed mine off to around the original post's 45. You can search for other threads here using 'gates clamps', 'hose clamps', and 'coolant leaks', etc.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I did my under carb coolant hoses at the 10y mark and they're due again in 2022. I did find evidence of a bit of weeping of coolant around one elbow and elbow did have what appeared to be a small crack. I'd like something better than a standard hose clamp, but would be pretty hesitant to put in something different in such an inaccessible place. In 2012 was able to find some good quality narrower than OEM hose clamps and I was able to position 2 at each elbow vs. just 1. Maybe overkill, but no leaks so far.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Automotive OEM's must think so.
Yes, they do. Coolant hose clamps on our three cars are all the spring tension types. Never a leak with the older car having just over 161,000 miles on it. Still, I just use them on vacuum and drain hoses. Pre CV-19 you could get a great deal on sets of these spring clamps on Ebay. Haven't checked their availability since I got my last batch a few months back.

Bike
2010 ST1300
McMaster-Carr is a small industrial supplier that has a variety of clamps. When I say small, I'm being facetious. They have one of their warehouses about 20 min from where I live. The place is e-beeping-normous, stretching for a couple of tenth's of a mile in one direction and more in the other direction. It looks to be about 40' high. Inside they have a spaghetti's nest of conveyors with packages and plastic containers circulating through the plant. Amazing place. And their customer service is astoundingly good. Prices are pretty much straight list, but if you need something NOW, M-C will get it to you yesterday - at least that has been my experience

Top Bottom