Coolant Leak again!

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
:04biker: As some of you may remember, I had a problem with a coolant leak / overheat issue back at the beginning of March. When it was all resolved, they had replced the water pump seal as well as the water pump (due to a sheared shaft) They also replaced the wax unit for an idle issue, and performed the 16K service. Ive put right at 4000 miles on it since then, and it performed flawlessly until about 2 weeks ago. It developed a quite substantial coolant leak. Since I pre-paid my next 3 years worth of service, and it was due for the 20K service anyway, I dropped it off at Honda of Houston to have the work done.
They called today to say it was ready (had to order parts). Turns out it was the pump seal leaking again, and they also replaced the pump (impeller and shaft) again as well I am told. The service writer couldnt give me much more detail than that, but Im gonna see if I can jaw with the mech when I go pick it up. They also replaced the fuel return line between the top and bottom tank (under warranty) since you may remember it was leaking the morning I left for my Daytona trip, but they didnt have one in stock, so cut it off and reattached it ala field repair. I had them order one then and hold it til this (20K) service.

All in all, The service this time was pretty good. If I had two complaints, they would be as follows, but I do understand the logistics of running a repair shop that services many multiple types of bikes;

1) No parts in stock, almost never. They usually have to order them and they recieve shipments once, maybe twice a week.

2) They seem to have only one mechanic that is capable/trustworthy enough to work on an ST1300 or a Goldwing. If he is off when you need yours worked on, they ask you if its OK to wait til he gets back from his days off. I always agree, as if I dont, I know they will just put some monkey on it and probably really mess somethin up. I am going to suggest to the Service Manager next time im in there that they contemplate the idea of a little cross-training.

Thats it for now, more details as I get them or when it breaks again. (May have to look into an extended warranty, just in case Ive got something eating up water pumps):eek:

OP
OP
Littlejohn64

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
Just a quick update
This seems to explain why my water pump shaft may have sheared last time.
When I picked up the bike, I questioned why I needed yet another new water pump after only 4K miles.
Seems there was some discrepancy last time they replaced it on specs concerning how far it goes in or something like that. (maybe shim thicknesses or somethin) They talked to Honda this time, got all the correct info, and opted to replace the whole shebang again to avoid chasing problems down the road that might have been induced by the incorrect installation last time.
Works for me!!!
Runs like a top with no leaks drip or errors noted as of now.:D

FWIW and FYI I recently purchased a new service maunal from the local Honda STealer. It had 2 inserts/new pages for page 6-21 which is the instructions for the pump shaft installation. Originally there was no specs for how deep to install the shaft. On the first insert revised June 2005 it changed and specified a 21mm (.83in) depth for the shaft. On the second insert revised April of 2006 it changed the depth to 24mm (.94in) depth for the shaft.

I have no experience in changing the water pump or problems with it. This is just an observation of changes that I noticed and thought I would share.

Mongo

Man, WV
True Speed said:
FWIW and FYI I recently purchased a new service maunal from the local Honda STealer. It had 2 inserts/new pages for page 6-21 which is the instructions for the pump shaft installation. Originally there was no specs for how deep to install the shaft. On the first insert revised June 2005 it changed and specified a 21mm (.83in) depth for the shaft. On the second insert revised April of 2006 it changed the depth to 24mm (.94in) depth for the shaft.

I have no experience in changing the water pump or problems with it. This is just an observation of changes that I noticed and thought I would share.
Is there any way we could get these updated pages for our "older "service manuals

OP
OP
Littlejohn64

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
True Speed said:

That must be exactly what they were talking about!
Thanks!!!!

Ive had a bit more faith in this dealer restored to me by the actions they took this time. It makes me feel good that they would rather bite the bullet and change it all again, rather than try to squeek stuff through and possibly chase issues down the road.

Mongo said:
Is there any way we could get these updated pages for our "older "service manuals
Hell if I know. The inserts were wrapped up in the bundle with the manual. There were more than just the water pump too. I don't have it with me here at work, but I can post when I get home what pages were changed. If I remember correctly there were about 4 or 5 revisions.

I would be more than happy to take some pictures of the inserts for you. I don't have any way to put them in a pdf type file for printing out.

LJ, glad you are actually getting some respectable service. Sounds like they are going that extra little bit to make things right.

:04biker:

Top Bottom