Coolant leak

Hello while trying to solve my gas smell problem( which I am hoping it’s just the charcoal canister from over filling the gas tank), I am now noticing a coolant leak( Im assuming since it’s green), when I start the bike directly underneath the bike. It does not leak when off. Ideas? I took off both left and right middle Cowles, which took me about an hour and a half haha, but still can’t see in there enough to see what the problem might be. Thanks in advance

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Make sure to check the fuel joint hose at the rear of the tank, tendency to crack and leak gas. The coolant hoses under the air box are known to leak, and drain out of the V. Check all the clamps, most guys replace them if you’re already in there.

OP
OP
Hello while trying to solve my gas smell problem( which I am hoping it’s just the charcoal canister from over filling the gas tank), I am now noticing a coolant leak( Im assuming since it’s green), when I start the bike directly underneath the bike. It does not leak when off. Ideas? I took off both left and right middle Cowles, which took me about an hour and a half haha, but still can’t see in there enough to see what the problem might be. Thanks in advance
Update:: now after the bike cooled down for a few hours I I started it to look at the leak again, and now not a drop .

OP
OP
Make sure to check the fuel joint hose at the rear of the tank, tendency to crack and leak gas. The coolant hoses under the air box are known to leak, and drain out of the V. Check all the clamps, most guys replace them if you’re already in there.
Thanks. And please excuse my ignorance, but all of those you described are underneath the gas tank right? I inadvertently filled up the gas tank before working on it, so now I might have to ride it to burn off some fuel to lift up the tank.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You can siphon a fair amount of gas out of the top tank. There is another thread that describes which hose to take off the top of the lower tank and then use the fuel pump to pump gas out of the lower tank. As this is taking place, the gas in the upper tank will flow down, keeping the lower tank full until it (upper tank) is empty. This is a good way to empty the tank(s) in order to service the bike.

Try warming up the bike again and check for coolant leaks. Mechanical problems don't heal themselves like people. Hose clamps/coolant leaks are a known problem on ST's and that is why other owners have used other brands of hose clamps from constant tension (Breeze) clamps to heat shrink (Gates) clamps. If you do remove the radiator to tighten/replace the clamps on the 'stat housing, consider replacing the thermostat while you are in there. And don't forget, aunt freeze, like brake juice should be flushed and replaced every two years (per Honda manual).

You can search for other threads here re coolant leaks and find a LOT of info. You are not the first ST owner with this problem.

OP
OP
You can siphon a fair amount of gas out of the top tank. There is another thread that describes which hose to take off the top of the lower tank and then use the fuel pump to pump gas out of the lower tank. As this is taking place, the gas in the upper tank will flow down, keeping the lower tank full until it (upper tank) is empty. This is a good way to empty the tank(s) in order to service the bike.

Try warming up the bike again and check for coolant leaks. Mechanical problems don't heal themselves like people. Hose clamps/coolant leaks are a known problem on ST's and that is why other owners have used other brands of hose clamps from constant tension (Breeze) clamps to heat shrink (Gates) clamps. If you do remove the radiator to tighten/replace the clamps on the 'stat housing, consider replacing the thermostat while you are in there. And don't forget, aunt freeze, like brake juice should be flushed and replaced every two years (per Honda manual).

You can search for other threads here re coolant leaks and find a LOT of info. You are not the first ST owner with this problem.
Ok, thanks for all the info.

Top Bottom