cooling flow diagram

Bike
Aprilia RSV Mille
So I sprung a cooling leak on Sunday and have just spent the day chasing it down. As part of that I drew a cooling flow diagram to help me diagnose it. st1300 cooling flow.jpg

All the hoses appeared to be ok and I couldn't find anything obvious. As I'm checking all the connections again I feel a bit of strange movement on the joint at he LHS of the engine. 20210824_204933.jpg

So I managed to get this out without having to remove the throttles. No idea how to get the new one in when it arrives. Not sure if this is something anyone has seen before, cant seem to see any mention of it in the forums. So maybe another place to check for leaks when you get one.

Ride safe.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Samyaza,

I presume you have a ST1300/Pan American. If I am correct, I am not aware of the pipe joint fracturing as you pictured. I recently replaced the O-rings on both the left and right joints. However, I removed the the throttle body to access the hoses, T-stat housing, and pipe joints in that area. To stop a slow leak, I replaced the o-rings on the pipe joints, the T-stat o-ring, and 5 of the hose clamps. Now, I have no leaks.

Interestingly, it looks like you removed one of the bolts holding part of the joint. Are you able to remove the other bolt that holds in the remaining piece of the joint? The bolts connecting the pipe joint to the cylinder head are different lengths (i.e. one is longer than the other). In the event you can remove both bolts above the #1 cylinder head, you might be able to replace the pipe joint and its o-ring without removing the throttle body. Otherwise, you will have to remove the upper tank, radiator, and throttle body. Not the most thing to do with a ST.

Do you have a Honda factory service manual? The ST1300 Article section of this forum (others have dealt with the dreaded coolant leaks on the ST1300) and the Honda SM allowed me to accomplish this job. I am not a mechanic either.

If you need links to the articles on this forum covering the coolant leak fix, please let me know.

Chris

OP
OP
Bike
Aprilia RSV Mille
Hi Chris

Yeah its a ST1300 Pan Euro. Thanks for they reply and glad to get it confirmed that it is not a common problem. The RHS is not leaking so I'm leaving well alone now.

Got the other bolt out without too much trouble but with the limited space available I'm hoping to get the replacement back in and connected up without removing the throttles. I just downloaded the SM but think the difficult part will just be getting the hoses connected and clamped.

Was just hoping someone would say that my cooling diagram was ok or point out any errors. Good check round and all my other connections look good so hopefully my leaks will be a thing of the past.

Samyaza

Top Bottom