Custom Made Pull Behind Trailer

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Ken,

I agree.....under normal circumstances the ST is perfectly capable of handling the weight. It is the abnormal situations that always worry me....thus the test pilot comment. I am sure the weight is OK...stopping on the slick spots is what makes me concerned.

My wife and I are in Cancun as a result of being together for 25 blissful years so there will be an 8 day break on the HF progress. When I get back, I will finish the trailer and begin the bike hitch design/construction phase which will hopefully only last a few days...with road tests to follow.

Just a weather report from Cancun...cool in the 60's, overcast and windy...definitlely not shorts and tee shirt weather yet, but it is supposed to improve on Tuesday...The food on the other hand is wonderfu and there is an abundance of nicely tanned young ladies just waiting to lay on the beach....what am I saying???l!!!!!

Would adding electric trailer brakes be an option. I'm not building a trailer but just for curiosity.....:biker:
Yes, it's definitely an option. Problem is ... where to get them and which to use. Also matters what suspension you have.

I'm sure you could, but it only adds more weight to the trailer. Also, you would not be able to run 8" wheels, so there would be the added weight for larger wheels, tires and hub.
Yes, it adds more weight, but this time, it's functional weight. Actually, the Dexter 7" brakes will fit inside 8" wheels, so you could still run the small wheels if you wanted. The ride difference between the 8" and 12" wheels is dramatic enough for me to insist on 12" wheels, where possible. 12" wheels also have the added benefit of being ventilated, so the brakes would run cooler.

Regardless of whether you have leaf springs or torsion axles, you need to have mounting flanges on the spindles to be able to mount the backing plates. It is hard to find low-capacity axles with flanges already installed, and it is just about as hard to find flanges to mount to an axle.

One camper manufacturer has changed their braking system due to a few complaints over the years. Seems that, due to the way electric trailer brakes work, when they are mounted on torsion axles, they can self-activate when going over bumps. This is because the brake assembly will not be level when mounted on the torsion arm, unless the trailer is loaded heavy enough to level out the arm. There is a magnet suspended on an arm inside the drum that will grab the side of the drum when activated by the brake controller. When mounted at an angle, this weight will not be in its normal 'down' position. Hitting a bump will force it down, activating the brakes in the process. Not too bad if towing with a car, but it has been known to drag a bike sideways. If the mounting plates could be rotated so the brakes are mounted level, this problem would not exist. If the brakes are mounted on a leaf spring axle, they are level, so the problem does not exist.

By the way, a set of brakes can range from about $100 to about $127 or more, then you need to get a controller for $40-90, so it drives the cost up pretty quickly, too.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I recall a fellow that used to show up at the vintage races during Bike Week who trailered his dirt bike behind his Gold Wing. He rode from Ohio, IIRC. He would have a cooler, tent, folding chair, some tools, gearing and what-not all loaded up. I'm sure I snapped some pics of him, I'll have to see if I can find them....

Bike
2004 ST1300
"Yes, it adds more weight, but this time, it's functional weight. Actually, the Dexter 7" brakes will fit inside 8" wheels, so you could still run the small wheels if you wanted. The ride difference between the 8" and 12" wheels is dramatic enough for me to insist on 12" wheels, where possible. 12" wheels also have the added benefit of being ventilated, so the brakes would run cooler."

With some creativity I think you could also use a set of hydralic disc brakes off a mountian bike.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I recall a fellow that used to show up at the vintage races during Bike Week who trailered his dirt bike behind his Gold Wing. He rode from Ohio, IIRC. He would have a cooler, tent, folding chair, some tools, gearing and what-not all loaded up. I'm sure I snapped some pics of him, I'll have to see if I can find them....

Well, I'm on my way to dualsporting. I bought a HF trailer this evening. By the way if anyone is thinking about buying a HF trailer they're on sale for $149 until the 23rd and there's coupons online for an additional 20% off.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I want to be just like that guy when I grow up...'cept on an ST!!!

We were out cruising the Yucatan yesterday and spotted a ton of Honda 125 somethingorother DS running around Playa del Carmen and Xe Ha areas. Not sure what they are and don't look like anything I've seen in the US. They are 4 stroke and with no polution stuff, they run pretty well. Most have been shortened to fit the indiginous owners, but they look like a pretty cool little bike and very light weight!! BTW, weather is forecast for 84F today...wind NW at 10 and 20% chance of rain...gotta go home tomorrow...damn it!!

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I found a single wheel trailer with a 260 lb capacity. It is made in Canada, and they won't ship the hitch. Looked like a really great setup, but will have to find the site again.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I found a single wheel trailer with a 260 lb capacity. It is made in Canada, and they won't ship the hitch. Looked like a really great setup, but will have to find the site again.
That sounds suspicious to me... I'd like to see it... probably need to be very careful with the tongue weight on it...

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Boast, I bought my single wheeled trailer from Uni-Go International http://www.uni-go.com/

Mine is the silver one below. :slv13:

Are you looking for a trailer for Archie and Dakota?

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I think that's a great trailer... even leaves you the option of adding a box if you want...

Wonder when those are going on the market? :popcorn
Yeah, and from the coversation I had with him all the parts can be bought at Napa. So if you are traveling and would have a problem, you can find the part to fix it rather easily. Another thing that is great is the tire used, If you get a flat you can buy a new tire and rim at walmart for around $15.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
I won't mention at what speed that loaded trailer was tested too !!!! Rock solid to beyond where a sane person would go :rolleyes: Emial him at KREIS@STSHOP.BIZ he is taking orders now

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I won't mention at what speed that loaded trailer was tested too !!!! Rock solid to beyond where a sane person would go :rolleyes: Emial him at KREIS@STSHOP.BIZ he is taking orders now
Gene, any ballpark pricing? I know I know just ask Kreis.. LOL

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Well now...I can verify that speed!. Fully loaded...triple digit safe.

Pics are prototype model

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks very stable... is there a shock/spring?

Top Bottom