Dark side tar now on lipSTick

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just completed the farkle on STick to add a GL-1500 wheel and a car tar: Austone 175/80R/16. This tar is narrow enuff to emulate an MC tar, with much more tread hitting the ground AND deeper tread too.

I've only ridden it about 5 miles, just around the neighborhood, but thru dry pavement, water (someone over the hill is emptying their swimming pool :D) and some ruff dirt too. So far, can barely feel the diff compared to a standard MC tar.

Running 40 lbs and see no need to change it. On pavement, feels fine. On dirt, can feel a slight "waddle" as the terrain changes, but keep in mind I was on a ruff cut, not just a dirt or gravel road. Lots-o-rocks, dips 'n cuts.

All that being said, the biggest negative on this particular tire is it's R speed rating, only good to 106 MPH (for family vans 'n SUVs. :D

This tar is a Chinese manufacture radial, specifically spec'ed for London Taxis. At 175/80R/16, it's sized just about right for a Gold Wing, but not quite right for an ST1100.

Mark (Big Mac) has documented the changes necessary to fit the GL1500 rear wheel to an ST1100 ABS II. I'm the second to do this, using parts he provided to make the wheel fit.

Difference between his 2002 and my 2001 is the tire. The Austone Taxi tar I'm using is spec'ed for London taxis for 100,000 miles. It's a "6 ply", 4 on the tread and 2 on the sidewalls. It fit nicely on to the wheel, requiring only minimum pressure to seat the beads. Fit's neatly in the swingarm, using the new spacers Mark provided. The wheel is offset 7/32" to the left to provide appropriate clearance on the right and to center the wheel. Otherwise, all mechanicals are pretty much stock. Did require some Dremel action on the rear brake caliper hanger to make it fit correctly.

Rode it around the neighborhood this evening, as stated above. All is good.

IMG_4269.jpg IMG_4271.jpg IMG_4272.jpg IMG_4273.jpg IMG_4274.jpg

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
So George, it looks like we need mileage reports over the next year to see how this tire performs.
I'll be holding my breath ........

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Looks interesting George....

Just as a point of technical correctness... the "6 ply" nomenclature does not refer to the number of casing and crown plies in a radial, but is a throw back to the days of cross ply tyres for trucks and vans, referring to the load rating of the tyre. The 6 and 8 ply tyres were used on light vans and it was to do with the number of casing plies used in those type of tyres. The C in the size also relates to it being a van tyre.

Don't know why this still persists but there you go.....

Of course the load rating of the tyre in this case is 98 in single form, this relating to 750kg load on the single tyre.
The speed rating on the label in your picture show as a Q..... which is 99mph...... but you need to remember that also relates to the load carried.. I wouldn't worry too much about it given the whole bike including maximum load doesn't even come up to the tyres rated load.....

This won't help at all, will it.....

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The wheel is offset 7/32" to the left to provide appropriate clearance on the right and to center the wheel.

That's the only thing I would be worried about. Does the bike want to veer to one side with that offset, George?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
George that tire looks like it was made for that bike! Enjoy and keep us posted on your findings as you travel about!

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It's interesting to see this catching on without too many switching back.

Is anyone using a tire gauge to measure tread loss at 5k, 10K miles? 100K seems unrealistic and I wonder what we are going to get out of them. (Who knows, we could get more?)

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Ben, the GL1500 wheels are pretty easy to find, lots of them turned into Trikes, rear wheels just laying around.

Yes, you still need to move the wheel 7/32" to the left, so ya need a 7/32" longer spacer in the pumpkin, a 7/32" thick ring between the wheel hub and the spider, and ya need to modify the standard brake hanger. Also, you'll need a spacer to fit between the brake hanger and the GL wheel hub on the left.

The brake disc is the same on the GL and ST standard, so need to change that.

Keep us poSTed on yur progress, both job-wise and dark side farkle. :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
It looks great George! I'm curious...when you came up with the "break even" mileage, is that just the cost of the tire and shipping to get it to you, or does that include the wheel and mods to make it work? Because I would think the wheel, mods, etc. would be averaged out over a few tires.

I really like that tire on the 1100. I think the narrower tire won't fight grooves and uneven pavement as much as the 205 we 1300 owners use.

Jim

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Jim, just the tire. I've had the wheel for years. The necessary mods were free, Mark K. made'em for me when he was doing his own. Tire cost me $174 delivered, more expensive than what others are running but it fits the bike well.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
George, where did you get the tire from? I'd be willing to buy 1/2dozen or so if I can "turn" them around.

Pretty sure Gary (ilovethewest) will jump on this too!

Mill and lathe are available....

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Way to go George. Way to go BigMac aka BigBird, Mark and hey you...Nice job getting the ABS ring to fit...

Bike
ST1300
This is like watching some of the scarier scenes of 'JAWS' ... bass violins working slowly in the background and now gathering faster tempo... when the dorsal fin breaks water it tows a sign that proclaims "DARKSTOC" weekend somewhere in America!!!! Amazing, no blood in the water nor screaming voices from the beach ... just smiling ST owners content to swim in waters that everyone else said were full of danger.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
OH NOOOOOOO!!!! Another MOTM has been bitten by a brain eating bug! If this keeps up... the vanilla pie board will transform to a darkside cookie board.
What does the fact that someone is a MOTM or MOTY matter? Why does everyone care so much about what someone else thinks about running a car tire. If it works for you and your happy, thats great! If I don't care to try and don't see an advantage "for me" then, thats great! The he is doing it or she is doing it doesn't mean :pie1::pie1::pie1::pie1: to me.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dark side is just another excuse for a tar thread, Landon. At leaST it ain't Orl!!! :rofl1:

Pat, we might be able to source these tars directly from China IF it proves out. They're available in England for ~$75, about half what it costs here. I found one source who would deliver 900 pieces anywhere in the world for $50 each, but I ain't ready to front $45,000!!! :eek: :D

Give me a chance to put some miles on it. It could prove unstable, tho the Gold Wing guys running it seem satisfied. I'll post a real ride report this afternoon.

The 175/60/16 as being run by a few others is cheaper, and a lot closer in circumference to our stock size tar. Mark measured his at 75", compared to the OEM size at 79.5. Would actually lower final drive slightly (5.5%) Could be significant at the drag strip. :crackup

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It's a JOKE get it.......
What does the fact that someone is a MOTM or MOTY matter? Why does everyone care so much about what someone else thinks about running a car tire. If it works for you and your happy, thats great! If I don't care to try and don't see an advantage "for me" then, thats great! The he is doing it or she is doing it doesn't mean :pie1::pie1::pie1::pie1: to me.

Top Bottom