Darkside Hankook v12 mount direction

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Ok , Going to mount a Hankook v12 tire soon...
Being a darksider newbie i was wondering if anyone made a determination as to tire rotation.

7EbUb2PxI2.jpg

Which way are you putting the 'sipes' on the tire...going in or out?? (above pic would be going in to center )

On my second handbook V12--I have only installed them with direction arrow mounted in actual direction of rotation. You will like this tire.

ok guys , got it ( have to admit ), didn't look for an arrow on the tire since it was for a car.

But anyway, Interesting remark in Rider mag this month as to why the sipes seem to go one way on the front and the other way on the rear... anyone else see it?

The guy I bought my 2004 ST1300 from had this tire mounted on the rear. This is the first time I've ridden with a CT on a motorcycle. So far so good. The only thing I've noticed is a little more effort is required to initiate the lean. That trade off is more than fine with me when one considers the better traction when vertical (not saying it doesn't have great traction in a lean), much better tread life, and better water evacuation.

Steve

100_0836.jpg

100_0839.jpg

Tom did you mount the Hankook yet?

Jay

Yes, Jay.... As of yesterday I am officially a DS'er.

The weather here warmed up to mid 40's so my buddy and I did the change over from a 020f to the V12.
Didn't get to even test it yet as we worked, we sort of got further into the St Paddies spirit and I didn't want to take it out... .And today IT"S f'ing snowing again!

A couple of notes...
1) when cold ( even tho in sun for an hour or so ) that tire is a bear to mount ! I thought the 020f were hard. We had to kneel on the tire ( actually climb on ) to keep it in the hollow of rim so the other side would go on.
in all , went sort of like a GW tire change... a bear! Gettin off will another story

2) The tire DIDN'T pop on the rim bead when inflated like most mc tires... then again there was prob so much lube it prob slid on quietly.

3)*** check your Flange bearings*** changed out a set at 15k miles, now at 40k or so one side ( outer towards wheel / inner one was perfect ) felt scratchy. Since I had a set we swapped the two out with new.

4) tire was balanced as is. I have my rim pre balanced and then after tire on it was within 1/8 of an oz so I left it. I marked the rim and tire with nail polish to see if any rotation on rim ( tho I don't think its a prob )

5) used the plastic bag trick over the swingarm parts and it went right in with a hair over 1/8" clearance , not even close to rubbing.

And to finish off ITS HUGE !!!

Last edited:
used the plastic bag trick over the swingarm
Welcome to the DarkSide..Yea the bag trick sure works nice. I had to pull my Tipple Tread to lube the splines at 15K the other day and it slid out and back in on my ABS bike with no problem.

Welcome to the DarkSide..Yea the bag trick sure works nice. I had to pull my Tipple Tread to lube the splines at 15K the other day and it slid out and back in on my ABS bike with no problem.

To lube the splines you do not have to pull the wheel all the way out, just slide it back far enough to lube and replace. This works for me.

To lube the splines you do not have to pull the wheel all the way out, just slide it back far enough to lube and replace. This works for me.

Yes, that can work but it is best to remove wheel and clean all old gritty grease before new lube--just sayin.

Great Tom. I mount mine on a tire machine so I cheated a little. Now remember until the sidewall breaks it's going to seem that the bike is hard to lean into the corner. Give it a couple of hundred miles and you'll forget it's even back there. Then after 20,000 miles we will have this discussion again.

:ds1:

doesn't seem worth it not to go all the all and pull the wheel out... I've always found moly lasts longer than the tires and I checked the flange bearings too.

Top Bottom