DCT question

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
For those of you who have Goldwings, or AT's or NC 750's with DCT. If you pull out to pass someone, does it automatically down shift for you? How does it know you are wanting additional acceleration for a pass?

Bike
2000 ST1100
For those of you who have Goldwings, or AT's or NC 750's with DCT. If you pull out to pass someone, does it automatically down shift for you? How does it know you are wanting additional acceleration for a pass?
I don't own one but it should work just like a car. Throttle by wire sends signal to speed sensor and ECU to down shift transmission and open up the throttle bodies.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
It will automatically shift down. My Goldwing really doesn’t need to downshift because of its torque, but it will if you crank the throttle. You can also just thumb the paddle shifter to drop a gear and it will shift back up on its own after you pass.

No need to put in manual mode to use the paddle shifter.

The Wing is ride-by-wire, so the throttle is wired to the ECU and the TCU (transmission control unit), so it knows when you need the power.

John

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have a 2019 Africa Twin with DCT.
Yes it does downshift when you grab a hand full of throttle to pass. It senses load, throttle position etc. and adjusts the transmission accordingly. If you wan faster reaction for downshifting you also have paddle shifters on the LH to over-ride either upshifts or downshifts - it will resume full automatic operation by itself after a short time. Of course you can also put it in full manual mode and used the paddle shifters to make all shifts. You have different modes for the DCT as well from regular drive mode to different sport settings that changes how the engine and transmission respond to throttle inputs. What is fun and interesting is how the DCT downshifts during deceleration. On 2018 and later models. it actually blips the throttle by itself much like you would do on a manual transmission to make a smooth downshift.
The DCT can upshift and downshift much faster than you can with a manual transmission as the next gear is already engaged and in cue for the shift and one clutch only needs to disengage and the other engage to make the shift. An Africa Twin with a DCT is faster off the line and accelerates a bit quicker than a standard transmission model. There is no horsepower loss using a DCT as there is in conventional automatic fluid coupled transmissions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Thanks guys. Considering adding a 2021 NC750X DCT/ABS to the stable for my local daily rides. Having some issues with my left foot that sometimes makes up-shifting on my manual bikes painful.

Did not know you could paddle shift down while in the full automatic mode. That's interesting. Thought it had to be in one (automatic) or the other (manual paddle shift), but in reality, there is no need to do it manually with the paddle if the bike senses the need and does it for you. Cool.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The NC700/750X, like other DCTs as described, will downshift automatically when the throttle is opened to accelerate. One thing that stands out immediately to new riders and demo riders it how quickly the DCT will want to shift to top gear if in the default Auto setting. With a NC this means 6th gear by 38 mph. Accelerating under partial throttle settings DCT bikes will be in top gear very soon and for many riders this feels like the DCT is lugging the engine. However owner's manuals have suggested shift points published that parallel these ridiculously low speeds to shift it's just that we never abide by the Honda recommended shift points.

I said all that to then say depending on the speed the bike is at when the throttle is rolled on, an NC will drop one, two, or three gears in the blink of an eye - faster than a rider can downshift in order to bring the engine in the peak of the power band. The Goldwing, like Nashcat said, has so much torque at virtually any point in the power band it might only drop one gear.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks guys. Considering adding a 2021 NC750X DCT/ABS to the stable for my local daily rides. Having some issues with my left foot that sometimes makes up-shifting on my manual bikes painful.

Did not know you could paddle shift down while in the full automatic mode. That's interesting. Thought it had to be in one (automatic) or the other (manual paddle shift), but in reality, there is no need to do it manually with the paddle if the bike senses the need and does it for you. Cool.
Yeah, on my new Goldwing DCT test ride demo it down shifted on its own when I was in manual mode coming to a stop. Did not think I would like it but I did. One thing I've been curious about is at a stop sign you should not blip the throttle like all the Harley's do because with the DCT are you always in 1st gear? I did not try it on my demo bike.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I test rode a CTX 700 DCT years ago and it did just what you described.. take off and it upshifted very quickly to 6th. Which felt weird but never bothered me. I didn't try to pass with it or do a speed run though, I just rode it. The downshifting when coming to a stop seemed a little clunky in that it could be felt a lot more than the upshifts. Nothing you wouldn't get used to though.
I've heard they have smoothed that shifting out now to where it's very unobtrusive.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I test rode a CTX 700 DCT years ago and it did just what you described.. take off and it upshifted very quickly to 6th. Which felt weird but never bothered me. I didn't try to pass with it or do a speed run though, I just rode it. The downshifting when coming to a stop seemed a little clunky in that it could be felt a lot more than the upshifts. Nothing you wouldn't get used to though.
I've heard they have smoothed that shifting out now to where it's very unobtrusive.
On the Wing I could hear it downshifting but did not seem clunky. At least to me. I have heard on the new Goldwings they have added dampers on the shifting mechanisms for quieter operations. Don't know if these dampers are only used in the new Goldwing DCTs or have been installed on all new Honda DCT bikes.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I had a 2015 NC700X I rode 35,000 miles between 2015 and 2018. The 2012 - 2015 models had the original version of the transmission with only two Auto modes. Drive and Sport. As you know Sport revs higher before upshifts and it downshifts sooner. Later models came with three Sport modes of gradually increasing shift points between S 1 and S3, plus a traction control, and the improved shifting qualities you mention. In a normal days ride I was fluidly in and out of Auto & Manual and overriding gear changes with the thumb paddles as I saw fit. Just because it carries the description of "automatic transmission" I almost never left in in full auto though many riders might do so. One of the reasons I engaged with the transmission is it only had about 47 hp and to get the most out of it I found my own ways to optimize the power available. I also owned a manual version from 2012 to 2015. I really enjoyed my time on these little jewels and don't rule out owning a third one in the future. The storage frunk is brillant. Honda continues to upgrade the bike year over year and recently announced a bunch of upgrades for the 2021 and announced it's place in the Honda's North America lineup for another year which is kind of amazing to me. While it's one of Honda's most successful recent bikes globally, in the USA it's been a slow seller with NOS in many dealers even two or three years old.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
You probably should test ride a DCT Wing to see how it handles around town before you buy the 750. The Wing might do it all for you. Although to be honest the 750 would be big enough for me to do it all. The Wing is very easy to ride in parking lot maneuvers. It is easy to "steer" a fairly sharp low speed turn, unlike my 08 Wing.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
You probably should test ride a DCT Wing to see how it handles around town before you buy the 750. The Wing might do it all for you. Although to be honest the 750 would be big enough for me to do it all. The Wing is very easy to ride in parking lot maneuvers. It is easy to "steer" a fairly sharp low speed turn, unlike my 08 Wing.
Yea killing 2 birds with 1 stone, a lighter bike for local rides and something to relieve the foot

For 2021 Honda made a host of changes to the NC 750X more hp, more torque, lower seat height, less weight, ride by wire, led lights, self cancelling turn signals, more modes, bigger frunk and more. All that appeals to me.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
I think you will really like the DCT. There is a learning curve but once comfortable with it, they are a joy to ride. I am on my third bike with it and probably won’t ever buy a bike without it again.

Bike
2012 PCX150
Once one has tried DCT (or CVT) one realizes just how archaic conventional shifting is, especially in daily traffic. More and more men are 'coming out' and moving over to DCT. :biggrin:

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I also ride bicycles. My current ones have 20 gears or more and I'm very accustomed to shifting to choose my desired cadence.

I'm disinclined to go DCT and I'm wondering if I'm carrying over my sense of control on the bicycle over to the motorcycle. I can definitely see where DCT could be a very nice feature, but I still like the idea of a clutch and choosing the gear myself.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Ferrit, you owe it to yourself to test ride a newer Goldwing DCT. You'll find it performs in a "gentlemanly manner", and will please you. The intelligence level of the onboard systems is impressive, and will take you for a very nice ride. All that in the basic "ride" mode, which knows what you want! However, when you set the control to "sport" mode, it will tell you what you want!
The throttle comes alive - you'll feel twenty years younger!
While the NC is indeed practical and easy to appreciate, the Goldwing is the best motorcycle money can buy. Get off your wallet - you can't take it with you!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Sometimes I think about a smaller bike to keep with one of the STs, kind of like a scooter type bike where there’s no prep, just jump on and ride it (I don’t have space for 3 bikes)...I was looking at the Rebel 1100 DCT and the reviews are quite positive, it’s just that the peg position might make for a more cramped ride. I love my STs, but once in a while it’s nice to look at new rides (then wallet reality hits and I turn off that new bike nucleus for a while). I think I’d like to try a DCT bike, maybe a GW, just to see how it feels vs manual shifting (which to me was really never that big of a deal and becomes quite ‘automatic’ the more you do it).

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Ferrit, you owe it to yourself to test ride a newer Goldwing DCT. You'll find it performs in a "gentlemanly manner", and will please you. The intelligence level of the onboard systems is impressive, and will take you for a very nice ride. All that in the basic "ride" mode, which knows what you want! However, when you set the control to "sport" mode, it will tell you what you want!
The throttle comes alive - you'll feel twenty years younger!
While the NC is indeed practical and easy to appreciate, the Goldwing is the best motorcycle money can buy. Get off your wallet - you can't take it with you!
I test rode a new non DCT Goldwing and the bike is just more than I want. I still have my CB 1100 and my FJR if I want to shift., although I see selling the FJR in the future since my wife has quit riding. I don't need a 2 up bike. The CB will stay forever though. Love that bike. and I'm not doing a lot of the cross country riding anymore. At a soon to be 71 and not in the best of health I guess I( am just slowing down.

I have a favorite loop I like to ride locally that starts when I leave the driveway. Typical country curvy roads. This loop is 2 lane, 34 miles long, 160 something curves with elevation changes, 55 mph speed limit. Lots of curves, very little shifting. Some stretches I can go for miles without shifting or braking. Left , right, left right, right left, up, down, left, right. I never get tired of riding it. I enjoy the challenge of hitting the curves just right without losing speed. Typical roads for where I live. Once you leave a stop sign and get to desired gear, you don't shift again until you have to stop at the next stop sign miles away. I can make the loop longer or shorter by taking intersecting roads. Except for the stops it's like riding on an automatic.

I had a Yamaha Majesty 400 Scooter with CVT and I enjoyed riding it a lot and considered getting another scooter, but neither Honda or Yamaha (my preferred brands) are bringing any scooters over 300cc into the country anymore. Figured a 750 DCT would be the next best thing and still capable of light long solo distance travel.

Typical roads I ride. I guess 95% of my riding now is on roads like these

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
What a beauty!. My other bike is a Versys X300. Honestly, I could easily do all my riding on it. I don't do long distance tours and very little interstate riding. It would be a little more intense though. Lots of shifting.

Top Bottom