dead battery at the side of the road in real time

STOC #
I am on the road far from home. I mistakenly let my headlight kill my battery. I have a 7 foot power cord with male cigarette style plug on each end. I am running the power cord from a (friendly motorist) running car's cigarette socket to a female socket that I normally use to power my radar. Will this strategy work to put some charge back into my battery? If not, and I need to get tool-less access to my battery please advise how get access to jump it.
Thanks,
-Danco

STOC #
if the cig lighter is tied into the accessory harness i would say don't touch it. if its wired direct to the battery i would suggest don't touch it as im afraid you might melt the wire. if you have to take a shot you have to take a shot. battery is on the right side you need the allen key that is under the seat. side pannel under the seat on the right side is where the battery is. Three screws

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I think it will work...slowly You can trickle charge the battery enough to start it that way, but I don't think I'd start the bike with that arrangement.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't have an ST yet, But that is why I'm on this forum as I will be a new ST owner some day.

Can't you push start these bikes in second gear.

My previous bikes did just well on a push start when my battery went south.

Bike
ST 1300
Al if you can get a 727 lb bike rolling enough to roll start it then yes you can run and jump..personally i dont recommend it. If you do kill the battery and use jumper cables to start it you will want a spare key with you..dont ask me how I know.:)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I don't have an ST yet, But that is why I'm on this forum as I will be a new ST owner some day.

Can't you push start these bikes in second gear.

My previous bikes did just well on a push start when my battery went south.
Al - What Geoff was talking about with the second key refers to the fact that the ST's luggage must be closed & secured with the use of a key. After just jump-starting one, one does not wish to remove the key from the ignition switch merely to stow the jumper cables 'cuz if ya' do ...

Yes, these bike's can be started in 2nd from a rolling start (push start), but Geoff and I both suffer from extremely flat local geography ... something which may not be an issue for you in BC.

You're wise to do some pre-purchase lurking here. If you buy an ST, I hope you like it as much as I do mine. Good luck!

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Tried charging my battery enough to start using a battery charger connected through a direct wired Powerlet plug - after 15 min. of charging, no dice, battery only weaker. Tried to connect from a car using same access - still a no go. Had to pull cover and connect direct to battery.

If you have to take off a side bag, then you NEED a second key as already mentioned. If you're running without the sidebag, then seats will snap back on, no problem, no key needed. In either case you WILL NEED a 5mm hex key to take out the 3 bolts to get the side panel off to access the battery. Carry one in the glove box (AutoZone, Sears, Ace, almost anywhere tools are sold) . . . and heck, why not just stick in a 2nd key as well. :)

"Push" starting works if you have even a slight down slope. If level - don't waste your sweat and time. Been there done that - multiple times. :doh1:

You'd think I'd learn to just turn the switch off when I shut the engine off! :nuts1:

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You'd think I'd learn to just turn the switch off when I shut the engine off! :nuts1:
I'm not certain why I never learned to use it on street bikes, but I don't use the kill switch ... always shut if off with the key like a car. Conversely, other than stalling the engine in gear, kill switches were the only way to shutoff my dirtbikes.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have pushed or "Bump" started my ST on one occasion and promptly replaced the battery with a new one. I was fortunate to have a slight downhill slope to help with the momentum (not an easy thing to find in Florida). It will start, just not as easy as a carburetor unit. Needs more revolutions to get things fired off. Tried it in 2nd twice and finally got it to fire in first.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
A bump start should always work, with a warm engine and not completelly flat battery. 2 pushers and/or a slight downhill out'a do the job.

Several of us bumped a clone Harley with 13/1 compression in the parking lot of the Harley dealer in Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago. Had to _third_ gear to keep from sliding the tire.

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
Do you have the battery tender plug in wired direct to the battery with a tail hanging out?
If you dont go buy one.Its a good idea to have the battery tender for these reasons but it also gives you access to the battery with out removing plastic.
The 2 prong plug that comes with the tender is great for getting power from one battery to another.Napa sells the 2 prong plug with aligator clips so you can connect to a vehicle or bike battery.It works well.Get your self about 12-14ft so you know you can reach.
You can also do a double ended cable with the plugs.Then if a buddy is set up the same you can quick connect to his.
I would not recomend hooking to a car or truck and have them rev up the motor.Just let it trickle charge for a few.
as for the battery tender it will keep your battery tip top when its sitting.That little computer on the bike will drain it dead with enough time.
Pull your battery once a year say right as you come inot spring and take it to a battery dealer for a load test.
Previntitve maintinance is worth its weight in gold.

Sean:biker:

+1 for the push start. In 2nd gear, as long as your legs are long enough, you can get enough speed paddling the bike along. A passing motorist to give you a shove will also help.

Don't try starting the bike using any form of connection that isn't directly connected to the battery. You will toast the wiring loom.

Do you have the battery tender plug in wired direct to the battery with a tail hanging out?
If you dont go buy one.Its a good idea to have the battery tender for these reasons but it also gives you access to the battery with out removing plastic.
The 2 prong plug that comes with the tender is great for getting power from one battery to another.
Sean:biker:
[Carl]: Aye, a two prong/trailer/SAE connector, wired directly to your battery (with an in-line fuse) ought to be one of the first farkles you add to any motorcycle.
You can cobble one from R-Shack partz.
(Pictures 4 & 5: http://picasaweb.google.com/carl.custer/MCStuff
Gerbing gives one with it's gear (but it's light weight)
and I recently saw one that Battery Tender sells. ~$6 at Bob's BMW (Yeah, I go slumming occasionally.)

OP
OP
danco
STOC #
Thanks so much for the many thoughful responses. Especially helpful was the comment that since I was using my GSP socket which WAS indeed, a switched outlet, All my preceding charger input into the socket was to no avail until I turned the key to the accessory position (duh?). After that, about 15 minutes of charging was all it took to provide enough battery life to start the bike. Thanks again so much. This is why I belong to this group site and why your help was so invaluable. Mission accomplished!:bow1:

-----------------
I am on the road far from home. I mistakenly let my headlight kill my battery. I have a 7 foot power cord with male cigarette style plug on each end. I am running the power cord from a (friendly motorist) running car's cigarette socket to a female socket that I normally use to power my radar. Will this strategy work to put some charge back into my battery? If not, and I need to get tool-less access to my battery please advise how get access to jump it.
Thanks,
-Danco

Top Bottom