Difference between Years?

My bike was sitting for the last 9 years so the carbs need some work. I have a 2001 possible "California" bike is what I was told? I'm guessing that has something to do with emissions. I am looking at possibly buying a 1993 parts bike with good carbs. Looking up Carb assembly models numbers it list a "Area Code AC". Will carbs from different years interchange so I could use a 1993 carb assembly with a 2001?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Right up front, I'll tell you I have no idea if there is any difference between the years. That said, you are buying an entire parts bike? If so, and you have ALL the parts from the 93 available, whatever you need should swap right over, complete, if needed. The engine will have no idea, nor care, if it is inhaling through 01 or 93 carbs. Neuter the PAIR system while in there, address the cooling lines, elbows, etc.....

RT

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I got a set of carbs from a member here, rebuilt them and replaced all the hoses/vents in anticipation of using them for spares for my 1991. Never suspected a difference so I didn't ask, didn't look at the exploded views. Back in the Autumn, time came to fix some leaks. I found pretty quickly the 1991 venting and drain hoses were completely different....fewer of them than the newer set I rebuilt. Ended up buying new soft parts for the 1991 and swapping over the jets I had installed in the spares.
Spend a few minutes on Partzilla, Ron Ayers and similar websites and look for differences by year. Had I done that, I could have save myself some time and a little money.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Each carb from a "California emissions" bike has a fitting that accepts a rubber tube which carries vapors from the evaporative canister to the carb venturi. The non-emissions (standard) bikes doesn't have these fittings on the carbs.

I have a "California emissions" bike and got rid of all the plumbing and capped the fittings. Makes things easier when servicing the carbs.

Last edited:

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Weren't the jets smaller for the Cali bikes?
I rebuilt my carbs with the larger jets for Canadian spec and I'm getting 47-48 mpg touring. It wasn't running very well when I got it (and it was my first ST), so I can't say whether it was a good move, but it appears to not be a bad one. So jet size is one possible diff. Check the manual and it lists the various sizes/models.

Top Bottom