Do BS 023's such or do ST's eat tires???

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Carcass stiffness in itself is no indicator of fitness of service. That's what size, speed rating, and load index are for.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Carcass stiffness in itself is no indicator of fitness of service. That's what size, speed rating, and load index are for.
True, but I haven't altered riding habits and got a lot less service life from the 023gt's, so something differs. Great feeling tires but I'm just not convinced they are the best tires for this bike given its weight.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
:mad: I find your comments rather rude and negative Bush.
I wouldn't think ST-Owners.com would be a Bashing forum? :confused:
I can think of a few LINES myself, but won't lower myself to that level.
I ride the PACE, if you know what that is. Yes my PACE is quicker than most and slower then others, but I live for and in the twisties and yes I even accelerate out of corners.
I don't commute or tour when I ride, just connect turns as smoothly and safely as I can. :03biker:
Sorry you perceived my comment as bashing, as that wasn't my intent, just pointing out an old truth that we passed on to every student rider many years ago and is generally supported by statistics. The fact that you have studied and practice the PACE method of riding probably does give you a higher skill level than many riders out there, quite a number of whom have never had the benefit of any course whatsoever.

With that said, I posted my previous words because I wouldn't think that most PACE riders reduce tires to carcasses in 1,000 miles or less and your poor mileage claims have to lead one to believe that your riding style is VERY aggressive in the corners, which is one of the most dangerous places to ride that way, along with flying through intersections, where the oblivious left turner lurks.

You may have total control and confidence in YOUR limits, but it is always the 'other guy' coming the other way that can create an instant crisis when you have little to zero margin for error. Hey, I did wish you continued good luck!

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
With that said, I posted my previous words because I wouldn't think that most PACE riders reduce tires to carcasses in 1,000 miles or less and your poor mileage claims have to lead one to believe that your riding style is VERY aggressive in the corners, which is one of the most dangerous places to ride that way, along with flying through intersections, where the oblivious left turner lurks.

You may have total control and confidence in YOUR limits, but it is always the 'other guy' coming the other way that can create an instant crisis when you have little to zero margin for error. Hey, I did wish you continued good luck!
So most riders that own ST's purchase them to ride slow? I ride mine like it was stolen when I get the chance to enjoy the twisties. On the subject of tires----some tires are defective off the rack and "evaporate" way too soon no matter how you ride. To come on an ST forum and chastise another rider about being too fast is well-----not prudent.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
As my riding buddies and I say "we all have our own throttles", our philosophy only - your mileage may vary ;)

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
HAD 023'S ON MY ST1100 PUT A T30 ON THE REAT BUT PUT A EXEDRA MAX 130/70ZR18 ON THE FRONT(GOLDWING TIRE) FITS PERFECT AND LOVE THE RIDE... SHOULD GET A LOT MORE MILES

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So most riders that own ST's purchase them to ride slow?
I'm pretty sure I didn't say that.

I got into motorcycle training with the intent of teaching new riders the skills they require to ride safely and proficiently and to impart some awareness of the dangers that are inherent in this sport, so that they might survive to enjoy riding for many years. If pointing out the fact that shredding tires on public roads, in a manner that mirrors track days, is to be considered not prudent, then those that work in motorcycle training to save lives might as well pack up their credentials and go home.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
If pointing out the fact that shredding tires on public roads, in a manner that mirrors track days, is to be considered not prudent, then those that work in motorcycle training to save lives might as well pack up their credentials and go home.
perhaps we should all get Honda 250CC bikes and ride like we are in a never ending safety course :nuke1: Of course that we be stupid and we are all adults, and adults accept the fact that not everyone rides the same.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
As many threads as I've seen locked here for far more benign and useful conversations, I'm bewildered as to why this is allowed to continue. Carry on, lads!

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
OK, the T-30 GT rear is lasting better then the old 023 gt. I've got a little over 1500 miles and still have tread. :)
I'm assuming these are considered sport touring tires, is there a decent touring tire ? Grip/Mileage?
Thanks

OK, the T-30 GT rear is lasting better then the old 023 gt. I've got a little over 1500 miles and still have tread. :)
I'm assuming these are considered sport touring tires, is there a decent touring tire ? Grip/Mileage?
Thanks
BR, you saw my Michelin PR4GT on Sunday and how it was bald after 9 straight days of leading mountain rides. I got 2,022 miles out of it and it never felt as quick steering as the T30GT but it was decent enough and it had good grip, though I think the T30 is slightly grippier. My first 3 days in the mountains were not as quick as the pace we ran the rest of the week so the test was slightly flawed.

If I had run the PR4GT at the same pace you and I ran together I figure tire life would be similar between the 2 models. I suspect that the T30s are their own worst enemy when it comes to wear as they just handle and grip so well it is hard to slow down and conserve the tire.

For a decent touring tire I would suggest the GYTT :)

My rear BT23GT lasted about 4,500 miles and was worn mid shoulder to the bars. The front has gone about 5.5k and is close to the wear bars now.

I've the new Avon on the rear and the front to go on tomorrow. Storm 3D X-M.

I'm quite gentle on the throttle and brakes but hard on the twisties that constitute most of my riding.

The Storms have a lot of rubber on them from new - we'll see. The rear is impressing me for wet and dry grip.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
BR, you saw my Michelin PR4GT on Sunday and how it was bald after 9 straight days of leading mountain rides. I got 2,022 miles out of it and it never felt as quick steering as the T30GT but it was decent enough and it had good grip, though I think the T30 is slightly grippier. My first 3 days in the mountains were not as quick as the pace we ran the rest of the week so the test was slightly flawed.

If I had run the PR4GT at the same pace you and I ran together I figure tire life would be similar between the 2 models. I suspect that the T30s are their own worst enemy when it comes to wear as they just handle and grip so well it is hard to slow down and conserve the tire.

For a decent touring tire I would suggest the GYTT :)
I'm all over that GYTT.
Big fun riding with you on some excellant roads.

As I mentioned I'm tossing on a T-30 Evo in a 180 just to see what happens. Will report results.

Top Bottom