Do I need new rear shock??

Dec

Bike
00 st1100
Hi all, requesting your opinions.

My st1100 year 2000 non abs i think needs a new rear shock. It is adusted up full though when I push down on the back of the bike there is a lot of travel. When riding the bike sometimes when i hit a bump or uneven road I tend to feel the back wheel kind of thumping like a soft shock symtom. The bike only has 33k on it so would it be possible that the shock is nackered??
Your feedback I would be very greatfull of.

Cheers,

Dec (in Ireland)

It sounds like it to me. It is low mileage to need to be replaced but it may have blown the seal.

Have you tried dialing in more rebound damping? If so, then yeah, sounds like the shock is toast. On my '93 the shock totally lost all damping capability at around 35K, so I think it's likely yours is done.

Replaced my '01's @ 54,000; but, I should have done it miles and miles before...

I suspect it is time for yours.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice and yes i have played around with the damping but to no affect. I was just a little surprised that it needed it with so little miles, but seeems like a few of you had the same problem. I have to say some of the roads here in Ireland would put any shock to the test :) I have seen a few stock ones on ebay but that is taking a chance that a second hand one may just be as bad as my own so I was thinking of going for the progressive 465 shock.

If the shock is set to normal and you are getting thumped in the bum then the shock is definitely on the way out.
My Intruder 1400 rear shocks went at about 40 000km and I replaced the rear with Ohlins and the front with Race Tech, it felt better than new.
So don't cut corners on the shocks, you won't regret it.

Hi folks,
Just tonight I had a little time on my hands so decided to take a close look at my rear shock on my st1100. Last week when i posted here i thought the shock was nackered due to a little thump when going over a bumpy road.
On closer inspection tonight with the bike on the center stand and right hand panier removed, I got a bar under the rear wheel to see if there was any lift. I was able to lift the rear wheel up and down a little and taking a closer look to see where this movement was coming from I noticed that there was movement at the top of the shock. The actual body of the shock at the top (the alloy part at top beside adjusting screw ) was lifting a few mill when i lifed the wheel up and down. This movement seemed to be coming from where the top bolt goes through to secure the shock, (yes bolt was tight :) )
I removed the shock and seen that there was a sleeve/bush which sits into the top eye of the shock for the bolt to go through. With the shock out i inspected the sleeve/bush for movement at the top eye of the shock which it seemed ok. Putting the bolt through the sleeve on the shock there was a little but very little movement.
Has anyone ever come across this or heard of this movement at the top of the shock ??

Cheers,
Dec

Yes I had that problem on my 1100 and put a washer on the side when I slid the shock in and it tightened the shock bushing better when I tightened it up. Problem went away.

Hi Dan, seems a tight space to get the washer into but certainly great if it works. Before you put the washer in where you getting much movement or lift from the rear wheel or even a tump when going over sharpe bumps etc??

Cheers John, glad that has worked for you. Considering the price of a new shock anything is worth a try :)

Cheers John, glad that has worked for you. Considering the price of a new shock anything is worth a try :)

Yes mine had play. I found a thin washer and slipped it in place.

Top Bottom