Do I need to worry?

I pulled the carbs and sent them off to Billy Carr and was pulling the old carb insulators off and noticed this corrosion/antifreeze leaks? Is it a concern or slightly tighten any clamps or something else? Bike has been sitting for roughly 10 years.IMG_20210623_102137041.jpgIMG_20210623_102200801.jpg

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
You're in that deep, now is the time to replace every piece of rubber you can get a replacement for. Then ..... you will have no concerns.
Absolutely....the two water fittings under the carbs, all the hoses...water, fuel, vent....and clamps. Remove and clean the thermostat housing, I suspect the fittings are deeply corroded under the hose es, especially the little one that runs back to the overflow bottle.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Absolutely....the two water fittings under the carbs, all the hoses...water, fuel, vent....and clamps. Remove and clean the thermostat housing, I suspect the fittings are deeply corroded under the hose es, especially the little one that runs back to the overflow bottle.
I agree. And don’t forget the small ‘bypass’ hose from the thermostat housing to the Water Pipe.

John

OP
OP
Neiko1967
So far I have the L,and R Thermostat as well as B Water Hose ordered. Are you talking about the Bulk Hose part no 13 on Partzilla
95005-55003-20M

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Just a quick question...I did all the hoses under the carbs as well as the bypass hose and the main radiator hoses in early 2018. I didn’t change the oil filter hoses to the water pump though as they were unavailable. When I remove the plastics in the next year or 2 to tackle just those (on the 94), any suggestion for what to use? No leaks at all and it only has 43K miles on it...just don’t want an unexpected failure in the future.

also, thoughts on Evans coolant to avoid pressurizing the system?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I agree. And don’t forget the small ‘bypass’ hose from the thermostat housing to the Water Pipe.
John
So far I have the L,and R Thermostat as well as B Water Hose ordered. Are you talking about the Bulk Hose part no 13 on Partzilla
95005-55003-20M
IIRC, yes, Honda lists bulk hose for that, and I believe it can also be used for the reservoir hose if you don’t want to buy that one with its own part number (save the sleeve).
No opinion on that. As to the oil cooler hoses on the early models, I’d think any bulk coolant hose should work fine. Inspect them… I suspect they’re quite functional yet. Foreign car parts places should have metric hoses (coolant, fuel, vacuum).

John

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^Thanks for the information. When I checked them, they seemed pretty supple and I suspect they’re lower pressure lines (I recall reading in the past 18 PSI), but they are as old as the bike and id rather not continue to run the risk of a leak

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
This same service is in the near future for my 1100.

Glad I found this on Prime Day! Arrived today and look to be a pretty serviceable set of tools. Was $34 yesterday. $43 today.

1624492012727.png

Bike
2005 st1300
Inspect the carb insulators very carefully for cracks. They are old and likely brittle and pulling the carbs likely strained them

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Oldbikefixr mentioned to clean the thermostat housing of corrosion. If the metal has been eaten away, you might need a new housing. You cannot seal against leaks if the metal is not smooth on the spigot that goes into the rubber hose.

Re your original question. Of course you need to worry. Everyone has worries. I'd not worry about the bike - this is straightforward mechanical stuff and we will set you right there, but emotional stuff? Yup! And if you don't have anything to worry about, LET US KNOW, surely someone here will be happy to share a problem for you to worry about. That way, we can let go of it, since it is receiving proper attention from someone else. :rofl1: :rofl1:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just a quick question...I did all the hoses under the carbs as well as the bypass hose and the main radiator hoses in early 2018. I didn’t change the oil filter hoses to the water pump though as they were unavailable. When I remove the plastics in the next year or 2 to tackle just those (on the 94), any suggestion for what to use? No leaks at all and it only has 43K miles on it...just don’t want an unexpected failure in the future.

I took my nla hoses to local auto parts shops to match up the bends. Clerks at both allowed me to rummage through their stock. Nothing was exact but I was able to cut the correct lengths from the new hoses and installed them with no kinking or chafing. I did NOT identify which car they were made for....that would have made for an easy suggestion, and future reference for myself.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

I have run Evans in my ST since 2009 and also in all my vehicles. No corrosion, no oxides in the system. All internals look brand new still. No water means no corrosion and no boil over. Some will argue but I have the same Evans coolant in my Dodge pickup since 2006. Never needs changing.

OP
OP
Neiko1967
So I'm pulling the thermostat housing to clean up corrosion as well as replace the thermostat and hoses. Underneath the neck filler there is a small tube and a wire. Can I just pull the wire off or do I have to wrench it off? I'm guessing it goes to a sensor.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Those insulators are not one use only. It's just that they harden over time and crack.
That wire just pulls off. Don't pull on the wire, of course.

OP
OP
Neiko1967
They were pretty bad and basically were cracking getting them off. My hope (right?) Is pull the carbs once getting them rebuilt by a professional, replace anything in there so I don't have to worry about it again for 15 years. Will any radiator hose from the top of the radiator to the bottom of neck filler work or do I need to order that also?

Bike
2010 ST1300
They were pretty bad and basically were cracking getting them off. My hope (right?) Is pull the carbs once getting them rebuilt by a professional, replace anything in there so I don't have to worry about it again for 15 years. Will any radiator hose from the top of the radiator to the bottom of neck filler work or do I need to order that also?
I've more experience with the 1300, and am not sure which hose you want to replace. Most guys here would order the OEM hose, unless it is no longer available. That's when making one up from say, AutoZone's or NAPA's stock comes into play. Smaller hoses (e.g. 1/4" I.D.) are usually replaced with stock hose off a reel. Just make sure, if you go non OEM, that the hose is appropriate to the use. Someone reported a submersible fuel pump came with a hose that deteriorated and fell apart when put in the fuel tank.

Top Bottom