Doberman takes his first ride today!!

Bike
Honda ST1100
Yep..you read that right. I took my Doberman Pinscher for his first ride today on my ST1100. I was so excited!! I bought this carrier back in June, but it had to be built custom to my bike and dog, so it took time to arrive. Boy was it worth the money though! My dog actually did really well. He adjusted his position a couple times which made the bike wiggle a bit, but I think that was due to me not strapping him down enough that he felt secure. Otherwise he was still and chill. He wanted to rest his head on my shoulder(which was really funny) at the highway speeds, but at slower speeds he was looking around.

Here is the link for the place I got my carrier: https://www.goruffly.com/world-adventure/ It's a husband/wife team that started the company. Right now they are driving around the world.

My Dad is @wczimmerman and he mounted it to my bike and made sure with was secure so I didn't have to worry.

Glock and I 2.jpegGlock and I.jpeg

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
The Doberman is her (@StealthyNinja ) service dog so she wanted a way to figure out how to bring him with her when we ride (or she rides solo). I followed her in the car for this first ride and he did great. It's amazing how quickly he picked up the mounting steps to get into the carrier!!

IMG_20220924_153305.jpg

It attaches to the top case rack with longer bolts (6 of them) and also has stabilizers (U bolts) around the grab handles. Most of the dog's weight is on the passenger seat so there are no concerns with stressing the luggage rack.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
As a veterinarian, and a Doberman owner, I've thought about this. Because, of course, it's always hard to leave her. I get dirty looks from her every time I get the bike out. But I've always been worried of a dog their size sitting stable on the bike. I may have to look into that seat. BUT, my princess is 100 lbs (not fat) and high energy to the extreme. I'll be looking forward as you post follow ups and updates.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've looked at this pup carrier, but I'd feel much better with my German Shepherd in a trailer.
The Bushtec Tow-Tow has gone from $5400 at the start of this year, to $7600 SRP today on their website.
I'll look for a used standard trailer, and modify that.
I'm glad it works for the two of you!
I bet you get some looks...

OP
OP
StealthyNinja
Bike
Honda ST1100
As a veterinarian, and a Doberman owner, I've thought about this. Because, of course, it's always hard to leave her. I get dirty looks from her every time I get the bike out. But I've always been worried of a dog their size sitting stable on the bike. I may have to look into that seat. BUT, my princess is 100 lbs (not fat) and high energy to the extreme. I'll be looking forward as you post follow ups and updates.
Mine would always look at my like "Why do you have to go without me?" The dog actually doesn't sit on the carrier. Some people let their dogs do that, but the owners of the company don't recommend it as it can cause probelms. The carrier was designed for the dog to be laying down so the bulk of the weight is on the passenger seat. They have 9 anchor points on it too so you can strap them down so they don't move. Hope that helps. :)

I'll make sure to post more pictures as we get out and ride more!

Bike
2010 ST1300
How did he take to the goggles? Just wait til you take him on a few more rides. He will want to swap places with you.

How would any dog take to being strapped down so they could not move? Would not even a minor accident be much harder on the dog than the rider?

OP
OP
StealthyNinja
Bike
Honda ST1100
How did he take to the goggles? Just wait til you take him on a few more rides. He will want to swap places with you.

How would any dog take to being strapped down so they could not move? Would not even a minor accident be much harder on the dog than the rider?
He's tolerant of the goggles. He does try to rub them off, but between training with them for a while and him using them on the bike he's catching on to what they're for.
For being strapped down, my dog doesn't seem to mind it, but he's used to wearing things around him for long periods of time because of his service vest. He's also flown on planes which is a very small space for him to lay on(he has to lay at my feet). There is a group on Facebook with all the people who have bought or are wanting to buy these carriers and they all say their dog just loved being on the bike with them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Good on ya for putting goggles on your hound. My dog would grab his leash and bring it to me when he wanted to go for a walk. When Dobie brings the goggles you'll know it's time to ride. Or he's working for pepperoni.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Sorry, I’m a bit late to the thread. Just my opinion, but I‘d sure protect my beloved black lab Scout’s sensitive hearing from road noise at speed with something like this:

Her hearing and quality of life is every bit as important as mine. Maybe cybervet will back me up here...

John

[remember Mitt Romney being accused of pet abuse after he put his dog in a crate on the top of their car on vacation?]

Last edited:
Top Bottom