Domio Speakerless Headset

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Curious to know if anyone has used this system or knows anything about them.
They do not require speakers in the helmet, claim 24 hour battery life and unlimited intercom range, and they are completely weatherproof.
It all sounds good if true.

If anyone has used this system, I would like to know what you think of it.

MotoPro Helmet Audio + Communication System

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
It may be good, but some of the claims at least are pure BS.

Unlimited intercom range? No chance. It might be several miles, but clearly won't be unlimited. If it's reliant on a bluetooth 5 connection, it'll be 1 mile absolute max, line of sight, no interference. That might be enough for you, might not, but they don't list it, so... (I guess they could be relying on bluetooth to your phone, phone call to your buddy, bluetooth from his phone to his intercom... but I wouldn't class that as 'intercom')

24hr battery life... unlikely. Maybe 24hrs on standby with no audio etc playing.

"Dual beamforming mic sensor"... no. A microphone can't beamform, it's a receiver.

The 'no speakers in the helmet' thing is neat, but you're only really saving 30minutes each time you fit it to a helmet... how often will that be? The frequency response isn't great - 10.5kHz isn't particularly high pitch, so you'll lose a lot of clarity.

To be fair, I haven't used or even seen one, so it could be magic, but based on the wild claims... I wouldn't buy one. Sena makes a great product, as do Cardo, and there are many many cheapy bluetooth headsets on that popular auction site, if you're happy with just listening to your phone/gps.

Edit: Just noticed the reviews... check out the dates!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It all sounds good if true.
It all sounds too good to be true. But there's not enough information to draw any definite conclusions but there is room for speculation.

Unlimited intercom range just isn't feasible when relying on BT, even if 5.0. I have got 1mi maybe a little more from my Sena 20S in flat terrain line of site. At that range a tractor trailer rig can break the connection. Possible a large bird though an albatross or condor would seem unlikely.

The speaker or audio transducer seems to use the helmet shell as the "speaker cone". That being the case I see two possible problems — audio fidelity (heavily dampened by the helmet lining and the shell being a lousy transducer especially at a low power output) and poor signal to noise ratio
with regard to audio signal and wind noise. I'd guess that a lot of volume would be needed for some semblance of intelligibility when wind noise picks up.

I disagree that two mics can't do beam forming and that it's only the receiver that can do it. But if the mics are connected to the helmet shell in the one unit I wouldn't expected any actual benefit and that beam forming is theoretical and not practical.

There are several unsubstantiated claims that just don't seem possible based on the dearth of information. I too have nil experience with this system but would do a lot of research before even considering buying into it.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have a Sena, and as long as it continues to function I am not looking for a new system. I came across this quite by accident, and the lack of speakers caught my attention because the speakers are the one thing that causes me some strife. Many of the claims seemed questionable to me as well, so I was wondering if anyone had ever tried one.

Top Bottom