Drained battery left me stranded

Bike
ST1300
Picked up my new 06 ST two weeks ago...

This past weekend I went to Arkansas to properly test the bike. 1950 miles later I am in love. What a great machine...

At one point I stopped at a scenic overlook on hwy 309 (south of Ozark, AR) => which is great road btw.

A few minutes later a couple in a car showed up and started talking to me. They were admiring the bike and I showed how well my electric windshield works :( (key on, motor off)

They left and I was enjoying a great view for 10 more minutes. When I came back I realized I left my key on :( :(

The battery was completely dead. The next three cars I pulled over did not have jumper cables. Lesson #1: always take those with ya.

Some 20 minutes later a cop drove by. I was never so happy to see a uniform. The good lad happened to have one of those jump start thingies and saved the day.

You see I always say that cops are never there when you need them and always there when you don't. Not anymore. Lesson #2: Not all cops are there to get you.

It is obvious that when my dealer assembled the bike they charged the battery for maybe 20 seconds to get me off the lot asap. Lesson #3: Always check your battery charge before you leave for a 2000-mile trip.

To really make this fun they also stripped all three bolts that hold the battery cover... Final lesson: check all the important bolts & nuts that they aren't stripped before you leave for a 2000-mile trip.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Don't be too hasty to blame the dealer for the dead battery. It is not unusual to have the battery drain down when the key is left on, even for a relatively short period of time. After all , it has a very small battery. I have done it several times. What has saved me is that the bike is relatively easy to push start. I have done it myself a couple of times. Just remember to start it in 2nd gear after pushing it otherwise it will just stop dead on you. It is much easier if you can recruit someone to push you while you are sitting on it rather than having to jump aboard.
Rod

Bike
ST 1300
The battery in the ST will not last long with the key on as you found out..I ruined my battery by doing that twice.

Now the important part..as you know by now once you get the battery jumped you have to put all the parts back on. To do that you must turn the key off to get the rear seat back on. Always carry a spare key with you so you can leave the bike charging while you reassemble the pieces. Nothing like getting a jump start, putting it all back together and then it wont start. I throw a spare key in the right front compartment because its always available. If you put the key in the left compartment you are right back where you started from unless you remeber to take it out in advance. I also carry a cheap pair (12.95) of cables from auto zone. They come in their own plastic bag and are fairly easy to store in the saddlebag. Its a lot easier to get a jump on the roadside if all you need is someone to stop for thirty seconds...just my .02cents.

I also carry a tire repair kit ..thats another story.:)

Last edited:
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
A word of caution when jump starting from a car, make sure the car is off when you do it. While both systems are 12 volt, the car is generating a heck of a lot of amps. Hooking up to a running car can fry your stator, wiring loom, and possibly your ecm. I've seen the stator damaged by this quite a few times.

An easy set up to install for the future is to purchase the leads that come with a Battery Tender. The leads hook up to the battery and you can put the end somewhere. The Battery Tender set up also includes a pair of alligator-style clamps usually used for connecting the Tender to any battery. These clamps will also fit on the Tender lead. A simple plug in and you're ready to jump or be jumped. The alligator clamps pack down quite small when compared to regular jumper cables.

OP
OP
rossilvr
Bike
ST1300
The battery in the ST will not last long with the key on as you found out..I ruined my battery by doing that twice.

Now the important part..as you know by now once you get the battery jumped you have to put all the parts back on. To do that you must turn the key off to get the rear seat back on. Always carry a spare key with you so you can leave the bike charging while you reassemble the pieces. Nothing like getting a jump start, putting it all back together and then it wont start. I throw a spare key in the right front compartment because its always available. If you put the key in the left compartment you are right back where you started from. I also carry a cheap pair (12.95) of cables from auto zone. They come in their own plastic bag and are fairly easy to store in the saddlebag. Its a lot easier to get a jump on the roadside if all you need is someone to stop for thirty seconds...just my .02cents.

I also carry a tire repair kit ..thats another story.:)
I was laughing while reading your post. I was going through the same thoughts when I was getting to the battery. When I was ready for the jump start I had the cover off, both seats & bags on. I had the battery cover panel strapped to the rack. The spare key in the left compartment is a great idea. Hope that ST thieves won't be checking that sweet spot.

OP
OP
rossilvr
Bike
ST1300
A word of caution when jump starting from a car, make sure the car is off when you do it. While both systems are 12 volt, the car is generating a heck of a lot of amps. Hooking up to a running car can fry your stator, wiring loom, and possibly your ecm. I've seen the stator damaged by this quite a few times.

An easy set up to install for the future is to purchase the leads that come with a Battery Tender. The leads hook up to the battery and you can put the end somewhere. The Battery Tender set up also includes a pair of alligator-style clamps usually used for connecting the Tender to any battery. These clamps will also fit on the Tender lead. A simple plug in and you're ready to jump or be jumped. The alligator clamps pack down quite small when compared to regular jumper cables.
Good to know! I was determined to have the car running while jump starting :confused:

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Yep, that pesky battery doesn't last more than about 7 minutes with the key on. BTW, it depends on the car regarding running or not. I was lucky enough to have someone in a small sub-compact offer me a jump when I found my key on and I was careful to make sure they didn't start the car. Not enough juice from their tiny battery to start the ST! So, we had to start the car and then connect the ST to get it jumped.

+1 on always having jumpers with you!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another idea to the "need the key for the saddlebag" after jumping dilemma is to make a bag or luggage key. It's cut down too short to fit the ignition switch but fits all the other locks on the bike. I leave it in the keyhole of a saddlebag or locking LH fairing pocket when traveling. The knob was a few dollars at Radio Shack.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Picked up my new 06 ST two weeks ago...

They left and I was enjoying a great view for 10 more minutes. When I came back I realized I left my key on
- Congrats on the new ride.
- Game set match. "10 more minutes" will kill a fully charged normally functioning battery.

The second key comes in handy a lot. Seems you alway need one more thing to gear up or stow while the bike is running.:rolleyes: I keep 2 on me.

A third is hidden on the bike. Ducked taped inside the mirror cover is a handy spot. (shsh don't tell anybody).

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I ran my battery down in the driveway this spring. Moved it out of the garage turned it off with the kill switch and left the key on. It didn't take long. All those lights discharge the battery pretty quick. I'm tring to get into the habit of turning off the ignition every time. The short keys for the saddle bags is a good idea. The keys on the key ring get in the way. Key for the bags is a pain when you take the bags into a hotel room as well. I might just do that. Extra key is a good idea as well. I always carried an extra key on my old bike but don't have one for the ST. I don't know why. I'll probably figure it out went I need it!

Bike
BMW R1200GS
STOC #

Have you actually tried this? I did and it fried the SAE plug.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
+1. Small connectors and wiring might survive a quick tap on the starter, but they're not going to survive a good, hard crank.

Have a look at the wiring diagram for the starter circuit in the service manual. It consists of the battery, the starter, the starter relay and some awfully fat wire in between. There are no fuses, no connectors, etc. The resistance in the starter motor is awfully close to zero, and if the ST's starter is like others, you're looking at current in excess of 50A drawn through the starter circuit.

--Mark

Hello St 'ers

I picked up a set of Jumper cable on one of the dualsport sites, for my KLR 650, they have alot of ( save your *** stuff), The jumper cables are small so they work on a any bike much easier than Auto size. I made some before, but it was cheaper just to buy them and they come with a handy pouch too,
For a whopping $12 0r $14.00,,,

Adventure/ dual sport sites have alot of stuff to help you in a pinch.

later Vern.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
+1. Small connectors and wiring might survive a quick tap on the starter, but they're not going to survive a good, hard crank.

Have a look at the wiring diagram for the starter circuit in the service manual. It consists of the battery, the starter, the starter relay and some awfully fat wire in between. There are no fuses, no connectors, etc. The resistance in the starter motor is awfully close to zero, and if the ST's starter is like others, you're looking at current in excess of 50A drawn through the starter circuit.

--Mark

Well......In my brain it seemed like a good idea, but good point about the total amps moving through it. That didn't occur to me when I was first thinking about it. My bad. I retract my previous statement.

I'd like to join the "but I only left the lights on for a few minutes" club as well. (do you think there's a Zippo in it?)

I was lucky though. The starter wouldn't turn, but if I'm in that position I always try a push start. There might be just enough power left to charge the coils to make a spark. If it doesn't fire after a couple of revolutions then I give up and phone the AA.

If you've never push started a vehicle, I'd advise folks learn when they have a full battery, in preparation for the time that it's flat.

If the battery has been discharged it is a good idea to pu it on a smart charger with sufficient capacity to put a full chrae into it. Trickle chargers cannot do this as you need a multi stage charging regime. Running the bike does not do it either.

I should also ask, how the Trophy going Rich? Knew someone who had one, they are a bit uncommon down here.

JZH

International Bodger
The starter wouldn't turn, but if I'm in that position I always try a push start. There might be just enough power left to charge the coils to make a spark. If it doesn't fire after a couple of revolutions then I give up and phone the AA.
When I collected my ST after its long-delayed 3-mo. journey from the other side of the world the battery was shagged. I have experience push-starting bike (and cars, for that matter!), but only managed about one out of three with the ST1300... As long as you can get it rolling and are in a high-enough gear (I usually use 4th), you have a chance. :)

Ciao,

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I haven't ridden my 04 ST in a few days saving rubber for a big trip coming up. I went out this morning to ride it though and it cranked but not enough to start. This battery is one of the "cheaper" replacements I put in last year about 9-10 months ago. I'll charge it with the battery tender, but I ordered an OEM Yuasa YTZ14S from www.cyclestuffusa.com at a pretty good price so thought I'd share since I've been reading prices up to and over $150.

YUASA Maintenance Free Motorcycle Batteries2003-2003 Honda 1300 ST1300 / YTZ14S - Part#: MCS.283-1673<!138> Manufacturer Part#: YUA.MAINTENFREE (Qty: 1 x $91.99) Order Subtotal: $91.99 Tax: $0.00 S&H: $0.00

JDP

Bike
GL1800 2015
If the battery has been discharged it is a good idea to pu it on a smart charger with sufficient capacity to put a full chrae into it. Trickle chargers cannot do this as you need a multi stage charging regime. Running the bike does not do it either.

I should also ask, how the Trophy going Rich? Knew someone who had one, they are a bit uncommon down here.
Trophy is hanging in there! But I'm affaid to take it out of State...
"fuel starvation" problem seems to be back....Probably the coils!
I'm just glad she's runnin!:)

Top Bottom