DSLR - how do you carry yours?

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I'm wanting to bring my DSLR (Canon T6i) and two or three lenses with me on rides. Trouble is, I'm finding it too troublesome to pack it away in a side bag or the rear Givi. I've found that when it's packed away, I end up using my phone and missing out on the better pics I'd like to take. Too much trouble to turn off the bike, sidestand down, walk back, unlock the trunk, get the camera out, then put it all back. I'm just lazy I guess, or impatient. Ideally I wish I could fit in into my tank bag, but I'm afraid it would get knocked around or possibly walk away during a gas stop.
How do you carry yours, in a way that makes it easily accessible, but also somewhat protected?
I would appreciate pictures of your packed setup, if you have any.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
How do you carry yours, in a way that makes it easily accessible, but also somewhat protected?
Can't do both at the same time. If you want easy/quick accessibility, carry it in a tank bag (strap bag, not magnetic). If you want it protected, you need to lock it up.

Of course, you could put it in a tank bag when you're riding around, and then lock it up if you leave the bike for a while...

(FWIW, I've carried stuff in a tank bag and it stays fine. It's not like you're riding down 20 miles of cobblestone. Or are you?) :biggrin:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use to carry a camera and lenses, but got tired of missing too many shots, trying to change out the lenses!

A number of years ago, I bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Digital Camera, with a 20X optical + 20X digital zoom.

SonyDSC-HX30.jpg

That way I could get some great close ups.

So, here is a picture of Hoover Dam on the bridge that overlooks it. Note the vehicles at the bottom of the dam.

HooverDam.jpg

This is one of those vehicles. That's plenty of telephoto lens for me! :thumb:

truckatHooverDam.jpg

So I don't have to worry about taking a big camera and a bunch of lenses with me any more.

I also have since bought a DSC-HX50 camera with a 30X Optical/30X digital lens.

SonyDSC-HX50.jpg

I usually leave the X30 on my bike and use the X50 when I don't have the bike with me! :rolleyes:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...Ideally I wish I could fit in into my tank bag, but I'm afraid it would get knocked around or possibly walk away during a gas stop.
I think putting the camera in the tank bag would be the best possible solution, because you could "customize" the inside of the tank bag to provide padding all around the camera. This would ensure that if the motorcycle tipped over or if you had an accident, the camera would not be damaged. It would also keep the camera handy to you at all times, you would not have to dismount to get access to it and use it.

So far as security at fuel stops is concerned - if you at at a location that gives you concern, because the camera is so easily accessible, you could just remove it and bring it inside with you.

Personally, I don't have any experience with such cameras, but my wife is a very keen photographer with a whole collection of expensive cameras and lenses that look like anti-tank weapons, and her opinion on the question was "put it in a tank bag". To her, the most important thing is easy accessibility to the camera, so as not to "miss a shot" (her words).

Michael

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I use a Lowepro Trekker rucksack for my Canon EOS 5DMkii and whichever lenses I think I will need or I have a Sigma 28-250 zoom for covering most things with the one lens. OK, you have to stop and take the camera out, but to me it's worth it to protect valuable equipment.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I put my camera in a sling style bag, a smaller one. These easily store on their side and have the opening for the camera on the side. Slide this into the saddle bag and it makes it very convenient to get out the camera for a quick shot. Just open saddle bag, slide zipper on sling bag open and pull out camera. Leave the sling bag vack inside the sidecase. This way the camera and lens is fully protected in case of roll-over. I carry mine with the 24-105 lens mounted and then I'm ready for most situations.

If you're not familiar with sling bags, super convenient for taking pictures on the go without having the camera constantly exposed. Just slide the bag on a loop from back to front and you can access everything and also then use the back of the bag as a rest. When you are done slip tha camera back in and slide it around to your back. My smaller one is like this size.
1340115497_IMG_258622.jpg1340115497_IMG_258623.jpg1578090415559.jpeg1578090421223.jpeg

Too much trouble to turn off the bike, sidestand down, walk back, unlock the trunk, get the camera out, then put it all back. I'm just lazy I guess, or impatient.
If that way will be too much work, you have to ask then how bad do you really want a good quality picture? If you can settle for medium quality, get a Canon point-zoom and load the CHDK on the memory card. I've done this for my underwater camera, an older Canon 650IS. Still gets me some advanced functions and RAW capability, and it's small, portable, won't hurt too bad if it disappears.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I use a Lowepro Trekker rucksack for my Canon EOS 5DMkii and whichever lenses I think I will need or I have a Sigma 28-250 zoom for covering most things with the one lens. OK, you have to stop and take the camera out, but to me it's worth it to protect valuable equipment.
I'm confused with this reply, I'm not aware of a 28-250mm for a full frame body like your 5D, if you have one I'd like to know more about it. A google search turned up what I expected, the 18-250mm for crop bodies, which wouldn't work properly on a 5D, although it could technically be mounted.

Keep mine in a backpack in the top box. I hsve carried it on the gas tank no problems.

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm with our Bobster, almost anyway.
Tried Bridge Cameras, tried phones, tried an old compact.
Sold all that and bought this, fan....tast.....ic.
Sony make THE best compacts and this one has an optically corrected pop up viewfinder. Did I say it's fan....tast....ic.
The best solution for bike trips.
0dbd789b5de7d681bf93daf94aab026a.jpeg
Upt'North.

Bike
2005 st1300
If you dont want it in the rear bags and dont want it in a tank bag, the only other alternative is a sling bag like T_C mentioned. Keep in mind, i dont think youll be able to fit 2 or 3 lenses in it with the body. I had one once and it held the body and 2 lenses, one attached. There are larger, but then they would be unweilding to ride with, I would think. There are a few options like a cotton Carrier and a few options to clip the body to you, but the camera will be exposed. I have a Cotton Carrier i use for hiking and can state that while it would put the camera within quick reach, it would be uncomfortable to ride with (hell, its not that comfortable to hike with). You would have to have quite a large jacket to zip up and protect it... but, it would serve to do what you are asking, except storing a second or third lens.
https://www.cottoncarrier.com/pages/camera-harness

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
If you dont want it in the rear bags and dont want it in a tank bag, the only other alternative is a sling bag like TC mentioned. There are a few options like a cotton Carrier and a few options to clip the body to you, but the camera will be exposed. I have a Cotton Carrier i use for hiking and can state that while it would put the camera within quick reach, it would be uncomfortable to ride with, I would think (hell, its not that comfortable to hike with). You would have to have quite a large jacket to zip up and protect it... but, it would serve to do what you are asking, except storing a second or third lens
https://www.cottoncarrier.com/pages/camera-harness
I have used a Cotton Carrier while riding my ElliptiGO and it works, but it's not something I would use on my motorcycle. I do have a small Nikon A900 that is similar to the above Sony that fits in any pocket of my 'Stitch and gets fair images, but not the same as my DSLR. When Womantriker rode with me, she just had her Nikon D750 on a neck strap and shot away while we went down the road.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Why not just get a removable tank bag that clips to a ring on your gas filler? I carry all sorts of stuff in my tank bag (when I use it) that I would rather was not stolen. Sure lugging a tank bag is a bit of a pain, but it is better than losing it, and I don't think a soft case bag offers the same level of security as a hard case. (Well, lets not argue this point, I simply don't feel as comfortable leaving the soft tank bag on the bike as I do with the hard, fixed cases.)

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I use a Nikon D700 with a 28-300 zoom. I like that lens because it covers everything that I want to use it for. That way I only have to carry one lens. I keep it in a small padded camera bag in the top trunk of my wing. Did the same thing on the ST when I had it. Just open the lid of the top box and it is right there ready to pull out of the bag. When I had the ST I had a tank bag. When I was in a National Park where I would stop a bunch, like others have said, I would just put it in the tank bag. When done at the park, put it back in the top trunk.

I also carry a small point and shoot that I keep in my coat pocket. It is there for those quick shots that I see.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think putting the camera in the tank bag would be the best possible solution, because you could "customize" the inside of the tank bag to provide padding all around the camera.
A tank bag is generally ideal for sensitive (and/or heavy) equipment, as it's the most stabile, least shaking/vibrating location on a motorcycle.
Using a 2 stories Bagster I have some tools and the netbook case in the bottom section, cameras (DSLR, IXUS-6 and equipment for the HD action cam) in the top half, I just set my small, padded camera-bag right into there; the lightweight EOS-350D with it's 24~200 superzoom is really compact...
Have the lens stored horizontally to keep stress on the AF servo motors/gears at bay.
In case of heavy or cold & damp weather expected, a bunch of freezer bags will provide protection.
It would also keep the camera handy to you at all times, you would not have to dismount to get access to it and use it.
Agree totally, and the handbrake helps quite a lot there too... :cool:

For anti theft protection during brief tank-stops I use small luggage padlocks on the tankbag zippers, plus some SAFELOCK wire things to attach the whole bag to the motorcycle.
When the bike is parked out of sight for longer stops, I do carry the tank bag with me...

The core question however is how one can actually combine both, riding and photography...
By stopping every 500 yards for another [Kodak moment] one will not cover much ground... ;)

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I keep my Canon T4i in the tank bag. It's not the most convenient camera to get out. I am pretty well switched to video and rarely stop to take photos these days. The Canon has an 18-135 zoom on it and I do carry a 10-18 zoom for the super scenery shots. These days I can put the tank bag in my trailer if I am going to be away from the bike although the trailer locks are really only a slight deterrent to someone really wanting to sell stuff. I just gt a new phone and will rely on that a lot. Sadly, I think my days of carrying the DSLR are numbered.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I'm confused with this reply, I'm not aware of a 28-250mm for a full frame body like your 5D, if you have one I'd like to know more about it. A google search turned up what I expected, the 18-250mm for crop bodies, which wouldn't work properly on a 5D, although it could technically be mounted.
Sorry, of course you are right. I have the 5d Mkii, and use the Canon 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 zooms with this . I also have a 40DS and 50Ds which I use the Sigma 18-250 OS lens on as the 40 and 50 are crop sensor cameras, whilst the 5D is full frame. I also have a variety of other lenses, some of which are M42 with the appropriate adaptor and I use them on manual for fun. The Sigma lens is not as fast as my Canon lenses, but it does have object stabilisation to make up. It is a great all-rounder when on the bike. Brain not engaged properly while typing again...…..

Top Bottom